PDA

View Full Version : Frequent locks up during startup, Pls help!

adrian8311
02-13-04, 12:36 AM
Hi,
I've just made a new computer, and installed a new OS in the new harddisk, but then I can only boot into the normal mode once, and no more. Sometimes the computer lock up during the windows startup, sometimes it even locks up at the very front ASUS motherboard logo page (which is before the POST screen). I've tried to replace the RAM, video card, but none help. (sometimes even worse.... it cause the blue screen error...)
But the main thing is I freeze during startup, sometimes (if lucky) I can boot into safe mode. Can anyone help, pls.

My computer detail are as follow:
MOBO: ASUS P4S800
256MB RAM (No brand)
Intel PIV CPU
400W powersupply
ASUS video card

Has anyone encounter these kind of problems before? thx.

Adrian

Clay
02-13-04, 12:38 AM
Have you cleared/reset the CMOS? Check your motherboard manual as to how to do this. That would be a good place to start.

Clay
02-13-04, 12:39 AM
...also, try a different power supply if you have a spare one laying around that you know works...

Viral
02-13-04, 12:54 AM
I have had this problem before, two times actually qith my old computer. First was the powersupply, i had a cheap one.. and the second was my hard drive dying. Though IIRC it usually at least made it to POST. I think the ASUS logo thing is just a splash screen type thing.. your comp should be POSTing while it is displayed. So it could be the drive also. The random freezes in windows or during startup are definately signs of a dying drive. Since your drive is new, it would have to either be faulty or damaged for these problems to occur.

So if possible, try another PSU and hard drive.

Rampant CL
02-13-04, 01:21 AM
Safe mode work? After the 2nd time i mean

adrian8311
02-13-04, 05:16 AM
Thx everyone!
First of all, can I ask why do we need to clear the CMOS? I read the MOBO user guide, it said it's to reset the date time, isn't?
I've tried to replace another 400W powersupply (from another PC), it doesn't work either, still frequently hanged.
I also tried to replace the hard disk, but blue screen results, it seems to me that every time when I put another hard disk into the new motherboard, blue screen result, jesus.... But anyway, after i reset a few times, it locks up at the very front page, which is the ASUS logo page. Also, the hard disk works fine on another computer, so I guess it's not the problem of the hard disk.
Will a incompatible RAM cause the "lock up" problem? Or will a incompatible video card cause this problem? I couldn't try this coz I don't have the one recommended by the mobo menu. I want to make sure that's the case before I buy it.... What else could be the problem? CPU? Mobo itself??? Thx.

Adrian

Viral
02-13-04, 05:49 AM
It shouldn't be the CPU, so try some other RAM, and if that fails.. try another mobo:confused: which has got to annoy seeing it's not something you just casually replace.. i hate installing mobos for some reason. maybe it was just last time i had to reinstall my slk947u as well, which is probably even worse.. but anyway! But just hope it is the RAM... although that would usually be much more detectable. I have had a similar problem when i had samsung RAM for my 8RDA+, it diddn't like it at all and crashed after afew minutes of running a game, but nothing like what you are describing.

And no resetting the CMOS shouldn't effect time at all (i think).. it will set your BIOS settings to default and i forget what else it does. I just use it when overclocking and use a setting too high that wont even let me POST at all.. resetting to default means i can try again at something lower:rolleyes:

sxotty
02-13-04, 08:56 AM
My friends had a leadtek that started doing this (the mobo) anyway I spent hourse swapping every component one at a time and in different combos into and out of another pc to no avail. It still kept crashing randomly sometime between post and windows sometimes it would go into windows for 5-30 minutes b4 crashing but it would always crash...

Just RMA'ed the mobo and am waiting for a replacement.

goofjb
02-13-04, 12:23 PM
Update the mobo BIOS. I have built a couple computers lately and on each windows would run fine for awhile then just freeze. After I updated the BIOS no problems. :)

adrian8311
02-13-04, 05:21 PM
Thx guys, I will have a go.
But my case is a bit different, it can only boot into safe mode, not normal mode, it often freezes during post to startup, and never boot into normal mode.... What do you think the problem is??

Thx.
Adrian