PDA

View Full Version : IBM Caught With Their Pants Down!

PsychoSy
02-16-04, 07:58 PM
http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/6292

No wonder they sold their HDD division to Hitachi. :eek:

IBM still owns 30% though, so ... I wouldn't entirely trust Hitachi drives until Hitachi comes forward explaining the 75GXP fiasco along with whatever steps they've taken since the IBM Purchase to eliminate such a mess happening again ...

Drumphil
02-16-04, 08:39 PM
I can't believ the **** IBM has pulled over this drive issue.. I hope they go down badly in court.

saturnotaku
02-16-04, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah, IBM is cruising for a bruising here. I don't think their high-priced legal team is going to be able to weasel its way out of this.

Athena
02-19-04, 10:53 AM
Wow I had followed this a year or so ago when it first started then stopped after IBM sold their HD business. I am glad I decided not to buy Hitachi now. (Not that all their drives are bad but how do you trust them now?)
Anyway is Maxtor in all my PCs right now and that is the way it will stay. :D

Sazar
02-19-04, 11:30 AM
IBM Caught With Their Pants Down

t'was a wardrobe malfunction :afro:

OT.. yah I had heard lots of rumours bout those drives.. nice post psy... validates my decision never to buy an ibm drive...

UDawg
02-19-04, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
t'was a wardrobe malfunction :afro:

:udawg: :rofl owned:

HEY! IBM TAKE A LOOK AT THIS :ass:

sxotty
02-19-04, 01:43 PM
Sazar IBM drives are not bad, in fact the previous models and the models after were some of the very best drives around. The real problem is that this particular drive was bad and IBM should have made good with people instead of saying "screw em"

I actually had one of the deathstar drives, and it was a good drive till it died :) I dropped it 4 feet onto a wooden stool on accident (I had left it on top of a full tower case on a high desk and then tipped the case over to get inside DOH!) Also once I was holding it in my hand when it was on (I forget why) and somehow I shor circuited it. I turned the PC off waited 30 secs and turned it on and it worked fine.

I am only telling this because then about a year later it died I RMA'ed it and sold the refurbished drive after buying my WD800JB. My point is that IBM drives were good they had a good name and the squandered it b/c some stupid execs did not want to admit they had made a mistake.