PDA

View Full Version : The skinny on TV cards and DirecTV

saturnotaku
02-16-04, 09:57 PM
OK guys, here's the deal. Being the good boyfriend I am, I want to record episodes of Queer Eye for my girlfriend (she doesn't have Bravo but I do). Unfortunately, my VCR eats tapes so that's out.

I would like to get a TV card like this (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-998&catalog=47&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1) one here to be able to digitally record the shows and burn them onto CD. However, I don't know the first thing about how this all is supposed to work. This is compounded by the fact that I don't have cable but rather DirecTV.

I have my own satellite receiver so that's not a problem. I just need to know how to get the card set up and the receiver hooked up to receive a picture. Plus I need to know how to record the shows and later encode them to burn onto CD.

Any and all help, guides, tutorials, etc would be great.

poursoul
02-17-04, 07:18 AM
Hey sat. Yeah, it's not a big deal at all with DTV. Once the signal leaves your satalite reciever it's just like any basic av connection. It's best to run at least the audio through a reciever (stereo) first so that you can easily control volume and other audio aspects.

As far as I know there aren't any capture cards that can allow your pc to act as a satalite reciever, although I doubt you had asked about that.

Okay for some interesting video capture n00b stuff go here (http://faq.arstechnica.com/?i=362).

A lot of people would probably bash me for this, but I love Windows Media Encoder. WMV files have excellent quality and great compression. Dont really need a tutorial on that, just grab a minute long video and screw around with it.

I know I'm probably way off base with all this..... too early now for me..... probably talking about doing all this on linux or something, crap.

anybody else find it wierd that i pointed sat to anything remotely noob.

saturnotaku
02-17-04, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. That at least will point me in the right direction. You mention about hooking up the audio through a receiver. Unfortunately I don't have that. Would running the audio out on the receiver to the line in on my Audigy 2 ZS work?

|JuiceZ|
02-17-04, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Would running the audio out on the receiver to the line in on my Audigy 2 ZS work?

It should.

saturnotaku
02-17-04, 09:21 AM
pour,

Most of the links to the forum you provided don't work - getting file not found errors. I'm sure I'll figure it out, I'll have to do a lot of experimenting. I know I want to use XviD to encode files (in the very little capturing I've tried, I've had the best success with this codec).

Now the question is which is the best hardware for this job. I don't need anything fancy nor do I want to spend a lot of money. I'm looking at the MSI card I linked to above, Leadtek, ATI or Hauppauge. If y'all could give me some specific models, that'd be great. I want solid software that's relatively easy to use.

Edit: I just saw the specs on the Hauppauge Win-TV PVR-250. That things looks very nice. Built-in hardware MPEG-1 and -2 encoding. Plus it can encode to VCD and has an audio input. It's a little on the pricey side (~$150) but I think this one might be well worth it.

poursoul
02-17-04, 10:02 AM
I've gone the ATi way and the Happauge way, and I would definitly say go with Happauge.

ATi has got great software, but happauge has the end user. It's seriously like microsoft and linux. Tons of people are making great little programs for happauge cards all the damn time.

I'm gonna go hunt some links, I'll edit this post when I've found a bunch of stuff.

EDIT: check this out - http://www.hauppauge.com/html/sw_wcst.htm#access

Hapauge's own website has a bunch of great little utilities and third party apps.

DAMN! this thing keeps lookin' better and better :drooling:

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/images/wintv_theater.gif

saturnotaku
02-17-04, 10:25 AM
The more I'm looking, the more it looks like the PVR-250 will be the way to go. I just found that Micro Center is offering a $30 MIR on it as well. I'll have to see if my local store has it in stock. Plus the only other thing would be to buy an adapter for the audio. The card only has one audio input jack but the satellite receiver has two.

I've fired off a question about satellite compatibility to their sales department. I want to be absolutely sure that it will work before I go shelling out money on the card. :)

poursoul
02-17-04, 11:18 AM
The audio input on the card you are refering to, is it a mini din connector or an RCA connector? If it's like a headphone jack then all you need is an adapter, which it will most likely come with anyway.

UDawg
02-17-04, 11:35 AM
STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK!!!! They are teh devil. My parents have owned their own dish business since 1982. I have installed the full sized dishes for 6 years and worked for my parents longer than that. Since the small dishes have come onto the market they have shot the industry to hell. He scame the owners out of millions of dollars by their rebate programs. I refuse to buy from any of them. Dircect TV is just as bad.

S.I.N
02-17-04, 12:10 PM
OK guys, here's the deal. Being the good boyfriend I am, I want to record episodes of Queer Eye for my girlfriend.

Yeah!:D

Malfunction
02-17-04, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by UDawg
STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK!!!! They are teh devil. My parents have owned their own dish business since 1982. I have installed the full sized dishes for 6 years and worked for my parents longer than that. Since the small dishes have come onto the market they have shot the industry to hell. He scame the owners out of millions of dollars by their rebate programs. I refuse to buy from any of them. Dircect TV is just as bad.

I'm sorry... but I think there needs to be a sticky by UDawg about things he knows about Sat TV. I've been wondering about this stuff myself. I went to a few sites for info, but mainly found out how to hack H-Cards (I think they are) for the DSS Sat's. That was kinda cool, though I would like to see more stuff about Sat if possible.

I use to have Direct TV and I thought it was pretty damn good. I think what makes them the easier choice is because their plans are pretty straight forward as far as the way they advertise. I dunno, just in my experience it was easy to understand what I was getting vs. my wife's grand parents who had a full on Sat Dish in their backyard.(which ended up being sold sadly. :( )

Know any good sites UDawg? Thanks in advanced UDawg, and sorry for the possible off topic post.

Peace,

:afro:

saturnotaku
02-17-04, 02:16 PM
My family's vacation house has Dish Network and it sucks hard. The service is bad, the equipment is hard to use and it's expensive as hell.

At mine and my parents' houses we have DirecTV and it's been great. Good service and support all the way around, lots of channels and comparatively inexpensive. At my place, we probably would have gotten cable but it wasn't available at the time so basically everyone in our subdivision has some form of satellite. We all love it (well, at least those of us w/DirecTV). ;)

UDawg
02-18-04, 12:21 PM
If I had to buy one form of TV between Cable, Dish Network, and Direct TV it would be Direct TV. Dish Network screws over the retailers big time and they drove out little companies like my parents. My parents had a full service company from the point of sale to the life of their contract. You don't get that type of service from "Costco" or other retailers.

Basically it comes down to this. If you want the best bang for your buck then get a full size dish BUT they don't make or service these any more so GOOD LUCK. The next best thing is Dish Network. They still suck but this is an industry problem. Cable is out of the question. Its HDTV quality and that POS Motorola processor is CRAP TO 400th power.

I do have to admit my knowledge of the hardware since the small dishes came on the market is very limited. I haven't installed any but my dad talks about how crappy Dish Network's haredware is and he has been in the industry for 22 years.

That's basically it. If you like what you get from Dish Net then stay with them but for what they do to the retailers I will not buy from them. They still owe my parents thousands of dollars in back pay and they flat out refuse to pay it. I do expect a class action law suit one of these day against them.

UDawg
02-18-04, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. That at least will point me in the right direction. You mention about hooking up the audio through a receiver. Unfortunately I don't have that. Would running the audio out on the receiver to the line in on my Audigy 2 ZS work?

Man that front panel sure would come in handy right now wouldn't it? :D