PDA

View Full Version : Stability Problems...

jonjay
02-17-04, 11:10 AM
Hello,

Right where to start...

As you can see from my 'sig' below...it has been running at those settings for sometime now, stable and so forth. However 4-5 Months ago I had problems with stability whereby my system would crash in windows and whilst playing games randomly. Once it crashed I would hear my HardDrive make 'clicking noises'. Sometimes I could notice my HardDrive making the clicking 'noises' before it would crash 3-5 seconds later. I ran everything at stock speeds and the problem persisted.

I then began to think it was a HardDrive fault and RMA'd it back to OcUK. However I recieved it back and had a chat with OcUK engineer who tested it, he said it was fine. I then thought it could of been my memory playing up whilst overclocked. But why would it crash at stock speeds? Why would it run flawlessly for months without no problems and all of a sudden start playing up now? Air flow is not a problem either. I have seven fans in my case, the airflow is excellent.

I do have a 300w powersupply. I have been thinking that this may be the cause of my troubles. Again I am confused cause its been running fine for 4-5 months. I have no idea what the problem is. I don't want to splash out money for a new PSU incase it isn't at falt. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

poursoul
02-17-04, 12:03 PM
ok HD clicking is one of the worst sounds you can hear. To me it's worse than the alarm in the morning. I suggest a second opinion, or just get another hard drive.

Now, as far as your crashing problem. It could be hard drive related, or not. When it crashes does it crash to the desktop, to a BSOD, reset, or just error out. Have you noticed it with anything besides games, if so what, if not have you noticed if it is dx9 games or opengl games or both.

stncttr908
02-17-04, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by poursoul
ok HD clicking is one of the worst sounds you can hear. To me it's worse than the alarm in the morning. I suggest a second opinion, or just get another hard drive.Agreed. Get your files off it as quick as possible and get it replaced. If you had a problem with it, they should replace it. Period.

Based upon my luck thusfar with the WD800JB I'd swear it were an IBM Deathstar.

jonjay
02-17-04, 03:44 PM
Ok I tried various combinations of settings in BIOS. I relaxed my memory timings and it seems to have stopped the problems..SO FAR, it could still happen. Could memory overclocked cause the harddrive to click and OS to freeze. It has happened in both windows and games. I can't understand it though if this is the case. I been running same settings I mentioned in my first post for months.

saturnotaku
02-17-04, 03:50 PM
Hard drive deaths are funny things. It doesn't really matter how you're using 'em - one day they work great and the next you're having click of death problems. Hell, this has happened to me even during the course of the same day. Get that hard drive replaced ASAP. Don't send it to the place you bought it, send it back directly to the manufacturer.

As long as Western Digital has a good RMA process, they will continue to receive my bad drives and they will send me new ones. Fortunately, the latest replacement has been pretty solid thus far unlike my previous ones that have worked for about a month then died again.

CaptNKILL
02-17-04, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by jonjay
Ok I tried various combinations of settings in BIOS. I relaxed my memory timings and it seems to have stopped the problems..SO FAR, it could still happen. Could memory overclocked cause the harddrive to click and OS to freeze. It has happened in both windows and games. I can't understand it though if this is the case. I been running same settings I mentioned in my first post for months.
Well, im dumb and I dont know what the weather is like in england this type of year, but if its warmer now than it was a few months ago, that could be the problem.

Other than that, I dont know what the problem could be other than a part that has gotten worn out. Anymore I dont rule out anything, ive seen some crazy crap happen to computers in the past year so if you have another hard drive, another stick of ram, another PSU, anything, throw it in to see if the problem still exists.

Viral
02-18-04, 05:05 AM
Up your RAM voltage.. 2.8v should be sufficient.. When overclocking RAM i always try adjusting the voltage before relaxing the timings, anything <=2.9v is relatively harmless.

jonjay
02-18-04, 04:19 PM
I put my ram back to the settings that where causing the crash and upped the voltage to 2.8v. Seems stable thus far, will monitor the situation carefully.

Athena
02-19-04, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jonjay
I do have a 300w powersupply. I have been thinking that this may be the cause of my troubles.

Sounds like you found it right here. I had a issue much like this where the PC worked great often for months at a time just to have a couple days of crash crash crash. Got a new PSU and all is good now!!!
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-104-110-02.JPG

Its a Magic Color 480!!