PDA

View Full Version : PR on the 64bit Forceware drivers?

DPGX
02-17-04, 03:04 PM
Just wondering if Nv released new drivers (or were supposed to) as of today, or are they referring to the 52.14's that have been available for sometime? Those have all kinds of issues and I'm really looking foward to an update. I assume these are new as they have mention of PCI Express support, I doubt that an October release would've supported this, I'm overanxious right now as this is the only thing holding me back from using 64bit XP (although an official nForce driver might be nice too).

Mike

DSC
02-17-04, 03:11 PM
New drivers will be available tomorrow according to Guru3d. Although I've no idea why the PR release says today...... :rolleyes:

DPGX
02-17-04, 03:23 PM
thnx for ur reply, i was just concerned it'd be like the 53.03 release and lack a 64-bit counterpart.

Mike

threedaysdwn
02-20-04, 08:55 AM
By the way, 53.04 for Windows XP and 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems has been posted.

It now says it supports "IA-32e 64-bit platforms including Intel processors with 64-bi extensions, AMD Athlon 64, Athlon FX, and Opteron processors."

IA-32e? I thought AMD made sure that the new instruction set would be called AMD64.

Morrow
02-20-04, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by threedaysdwn
IA-32e? I thought AMD made sure that the new instruction set would be called AMD64.

Intel and AMD are in cross-platform licencing agreement since 1994 which allows Intel to adopt any architecture AMD designs without fearing to get sued by AMD.

They only drawback is that Intel actually cannot use the same name as AMD for their architecture, therefore Intel calls "its" 64-bit extensions IA32e and not AMD64. One other reason for the name change is also the fact that Intel added a few new instructions which are not available with AMD64.

Asprine
02-20-04, 05:47 PM
There out :)
have fun
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=742&65350

threedaysdwn
02-22-04, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Asprine
There out :)
have fun
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=742&65350

As already posted above :P

threedaysdwn
02-22-04, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Morrow
Intel and AMD are in cross-platform licencing agreement since 1994 which allows Intel to adopt any architecture AMD designs without fearing to get sued by AMD.

They only drawback is that Intel actually cannot use the same name as AMD for their architecture, therefore Intel calls "its" 64-bit extensions IA32e and not AMD64. One other reason for the name change is also the fact that Intel added a few new instructions which are not available with AMD64.

Actually the inclusion of Intel-specific instructions is still unconfirmed. As far as all publically available material is concerned, the instruction set is exactly the same. The only thing the Intel chips will have that the AMD chips currently don't is SSE3.

AnteP
02-22-04, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by threedaysdwn
The only thing the Intel chips will have that the AMD chips currently don't is SSE3.

HyperThreading

Malfunction
02-22-04, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by AnteP
HyperThreading

Yep... Sa-Weet! (foshiz)

Peace,

:afro:

threedaysdwn
02-23-04, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by AnteP
HyperThreading

I meant the only thing *new* that it has :P

Though I wouldn't brag about using a CPU that needs that. 31 stage pipeline <shudder>.