PDA

View Full Version : networking help

renegade77
02-18-04, 11:56 AM
Ive been tryin to set up my home network, it hasnt gone to well. Ive run the network wizzard over and over again. I think the fact that i keep running the wuzzard on top of the other net wizzards is cunfusin my system. Is it possible to like fix the network registry or just uninstall or undo the changes i did with the network wizzard.

Malfunction
02-18-04, 12:00 PM
http://www.pcstats.com/ has a load of guides from setting up a network to internet connection sharing. The guides are located at the bottom right of the page.

Good luck, the guides should be very helpful.

Peace,

:afro:

goofjb
02-18-04, 08:42 PM
For starters how many different OS's are running on the network? What are you trying to connect to, routers, hubs, printers and computers? I know I have had real fun with my network setup. If you have a 9x computer you have the FAT32 file system so it can't read the NTFS system that XP is based on. The only way to share info from 9x machine to the XP machine is set up a FAT32 partition on the XP 'puter. I know there is even more fun things to worry about. :) But we can help you through it.

Clay
02-18-04, 10:57 PM
Yeah, goofjb asked all the right questions. Try to fill us in as much as you can.

MUYA
02-19-04, 05:12 AM
Sometimes Network wizard works sometimes not. Even with two WinXP machines it can be a problem. Make sure if u are doing a peer to peer setup, that both have the same workgroup name. Thats first, maybe (this is how I used to get round it), do the ipconfig manually, make sure the ips of both u set manually are of the same subnet etc 198.XYZ.XYZ.A/255.255.255.0 on one and 198.XYZ.XYZ.B/255.255.255.0 on the other and have one reference the other's as the DNS server? Or leave out one of the machines to obtain ip automatically but reference the other one as the DNS server? I dunno if that will work for u, but it worked for me last time i set a mini network up. WinXP doesn't have a DNS server but, I think some form of private networking thing fires up..I think. Those who know more can of course can tell me if I am wrong here. But thats how I did it b4..methinks

Viral
02-19-04, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by goofjb
For starters how many different OS's are running on the network? What are you trying to connect to, routers, hubs, printers and computers? I know I have had real fun with my network setup. If you have a 9x computer you have the FAT32 file system so it can't read the NTFS system that XP is based on. The only way to share info from 9x machine to the XP machine is set up a FAT32 partition on the XP 'puter. I know there is even more fun things to worry about. :) But we can help you through it.

Uh, i have two XP pro systems, one '98 and an ME(:rolleyes: ) on my network and i have no problems that you mentioned. Files transferred between any combination of the machines work fine. The only downside of FAT32 and networking AFAIK is file rights/permissions ect. Basically, still, for a home network this is fine, but any permissions can be bypassed by simply using the FAT32 system hosting the files. Which is not good for business.

The ME computer does not have a burner (old P233 laptop) and i grab mp3's from it all the time to burn to CD's, i need to do this as the HD is only 4GB also.. No problems what so ever. The fact that the drive is FAT32 doesnt change the actual files at all, and NTFS can comminicate via a network with a FAT32 drive and take those files and save them on a NTSF formatted HD. No problems.

I think renegades main problem is XPHome, i have heard afew people with networking problems with it.. never used it myself, and don't really want to:p

goofjb
02-19-04, 05:58 AM
Viral I know that XP can read the FAT32 drive but it dosen't work the other way. If you try and read a file on the XP machine from the 98 machince you can't do that. At least I don't think so. :)

Malfunction
02-20-04, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by goofjb
Viral I know that XP can read the FAT32 drive but it dosen't work the other way. If you try and read a file on the XP machine from the 98 machince you can't do that. At least I don't think so. :)

Sure you can, sharing of the drive or Folder or File has to be enabled. :D Hell, you can even map the drives onto your 98 machine for easier access. ;)

Peace,

:afro: