PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Serial ATA drives made by IBM?!

Pages : [1] 2

ElderDruid
02-18-04, 02:28 PM
I didn't know that Maxtor serial ATA drives are manufactured by IBM. But I just received two new 80GB drives from Newegg today, and right there on the bottom of the drive labels it says "IBM Warranty Void if Removed". What gives? I don't want to be dealing with IBM reliability and manufacturing problems. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

saturnotaku
02-18-04, 02:35 PM
Are the drives labeled as Maxtor on top? I think it would be highly odd that Maxtor drives would be made by IBM because Hitachi is handling those duties for Big Blue. :confused:

I would take a picture and see if you can get the images to Newegg and explain to them what happened.

ElderDruid
02-18-04, 02:42 PM
I have attached a photocopy image of the drive label. The image isn't the sharpest because of the attachment size limitation, but you can see what I'm referring to. What do make of this? Thanks.

stncttr908
02-18-04, 02:52 PM
I somehow doubt that means IBM as in Big Blue... :confused:

ElderDruid
02-18-04, 02:53 PM
What does it mean then? Thanks.

ALobpreis
02-18-04, 03:53 PM
Mmmh.... SATA drivers doesn't seem to have that line...
Too many bar codes and serial numbers...

Your same disk:
http://www.ixbt.com/storage/sata-summer-03/6y080m0-top.jpg
If the pic above doesn't show, copy this link (http://www.ixbt.com/storage/sata-summer-03/6y080m0-top.jpg) into a new browser (clicking doesn't work) or read this review (http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/sata-summer-2003/).

Another SATA:
http://www.monkeyreview.com/images/reviews/hardware/maxtor/dm9/3-bg.jpg

Instead of a 1-bit image in jpeg, please, reduce it 50% and save it in color in PNG or a good quality JPG.
Does that line look exactly like the others of the disk? O can it be written later?
Is it possible that IBM put Maxtor drives in its computers, and someone took the disk from a IBM PC?

ElderDruid
02-18-04, 03:55 PM
I don't have a color image, but how's this?

ALobpreis
02-18-04, 03:58 PM
Mmmh.... weird, your disk also has that big SATA sign the other disks don't...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=274107

jAkUp
02-18-04, 04:25 PM
I am at work right now and I just grabbed a maxtor 120gb SATA, on the back of the drive, it has the big SATA logo, but it does not have the IBM line. Hmmm.. very strange...

ElderDruid
02-18-04, 04:38 PM
I'm on the phone with Maxtor right now. Apparently, IBM will often buy lots of drives from Maxtor for their PCs and then sell back extras as OEM units to places like Newegg. That's what I have. I've just been told by Maxtor that my drives have a one-year warranty that's serviced by IBM. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing or really doesn't matter. What do you think? Thanks.

Dazz
02-18-04, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ElderDruid
I'm on the phone with Maxtor right now. Apparently, IBM will often buy lots of drives from Maxtor for their PCs and then sell back extras as OEM units to places like Newegg. That's what I have. I've just been told by Maxtor that my drives have a one-year warranty that's serviced by IBM. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing or really doesn't matter. What do you think? Thanks. Same thing with my printer from DELL. Also i wouldn't worry to much about IBM drives GXP180 and up as they use fluid barrings to greatly reduce friction and failer. I have a GXP34 and have used it for many years.

ElderDruid
02-18-04, 07:51 PM
And just now I got this response from Newegg:

"Thank you for contacting us at www.newegg.com. We appreciate your concern regarding this matter. IBM is actually the manufacture. IBM stands for "International Business Machine. If you would like more information on the product, please contact IBM. The number to IBM is 888-426-5214. Thank you."

Hmmm.... Guess I'll call IBM just for giggles.

stncttr908
02-18-04, 08:20 PM
IBM is actually the manufacture.Oh noes! Send it back! :D

Actually if it's working correctly I wouldn't worry about it.

PsychoSy
02-19-04, 12:39 AM
Maxtor drives had contained Quantum internals until the Bigfoot/Fireball disaster, then they switched to IBM internals until about 1999 or so. When Maxtor bought Quantum, they had no need to outsource to IBM anymore. However, this doesn't mean IBM is totally out in the dark - Maxtor also provides internals or full-blown manufactured drives to OEMs such as IBM, Dell, Compaq, etc. To maximize their profits, they will release any extras drives they have into the marketplace for individual sale.

In other words, Maxtor manufactured that drive from start to finish, and sold a bulk of them to IBM for use in their OEM machines. Therefore, IBM is responsible for the warranty - not Maxtor. If that drive goes south on you with the 1-year warranty period, IBM will most likely replace the drive with an Hitachi (or another bulk OEM drive they purchased from Maxtor/WD/Seagate, etc.) Keep in mind though that IBM's Customer Service is a far cry from Maxtor or Western Digital (you have to really jump through hoops to get an RMA out of IBM).

Dazz
02-19-04, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
Keep in mind though that IBM's Customer Service is a far cry from Maxtor or Western Digital (you have to really jump through hoops to get an RMA out of IBM). Like hell you do almost everyone preases them they are indeed fast and have a VERY good tech support, back in the days of the GXP60 i used their tech support 3 times and everytime i had not a single problem from them.

sxotty
02-19-04, 01:46 PM
Dazz they suck now. I had to RMA a drive and I got the RMA # right away thought everything would go well, but it took 2 months to get a replacement from them... they shipped it by boat across the pacific and then overnight Air mail to me lol.

PsychoSy
02-19-04, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Like hell you do almost everyone preases them they are indeed fast and have a VERY good tech support, back in the days of the GXP60 i used their tech support 3 times and everytime i had not a single problem from them.

Wish I could say the same. The technology that controls the on-hold music system had better reasoning and logic skills than the human baffoons I had to dealt with ...

:angel:

ElderDruid
02-20-04, 02:06 PM
The drives work, but now I'm concerned about their performance. Maybe these drives don't have the 8MB cache they are supposed to or something (I don't know how to find out).

My system is:
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B
Athlon 2500 running at 2GHz
Windows XP SP1
Latest nForce drivers

Sandra 2004 gives me "49 MB/s"
HDTach 2.7 gives me a measly 16.3 s random access time. What's up with that? The 40GB WD IDE I have in the system gets 13.5 seconds. I thought SATA access times were supposed to be much better than this.

sxotty
02-20-04, 03:35 PM
Just being SATA doesn't make them faster.

ElderDruid
02-20-04, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
Just being SATA doesn't make them faster.

I understand that, but doesn't my HDTach result look suspiciously poor?

Riptide
02-20-04, 03:50 PM
Just going SATA won't make them faster w/regard to access time. It might, however, speed it up a tad when it comes to the actual data transfer rate of the interface itself which should result in a *slight* performance improvement. Not much though...

I think this is a more detailed response with respect to what sxotty said above.

Riptide
02-20-04, 03:51 PM
I understand that, but doesn't my HDTach result look suspiciously poor?
16ms does seem a bit on the slow side. What is that drive actually rated at?

ElderDruid
02-20-04, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
16ms does seem a bit on the slow side. What is that drive actually rated at?

I believe the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 should be 9ms:

http://maxtor.com/en/products/ata/desktop/diamondmax_plus_9/specifications.htm

Riptide
02-20-04, 03:56 PM
Yeah, that does seem odd then. I would be inclined to blame it on the software. Yes, I know it works fine for others and all but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be having a problem on YOUR system.

If I had a dollar for every time I ran into some stupid software problem and had to deal with people saying "Runs great on mine..." I'd be a rich man and have a LOT more hair. Fact is some problems only come up under *very* specific configurations.

Are there any other utilities out there you can use to test this drive? Maybe from some sort of boot disc?

ElderDruid
02-20-04, 03:57 PM
I don't know of any other utilities, but I'll check Maxtor's site. Thanks.