PDA

View Full Version : DirectX always crashes my computer

Sonic
02-18-04, 04:33 PM
I just got a GeforceFX 5900 SE from PNY and used to have a Radeon 9600. I'm running the KT400 chipset with 512 MB of DDR2100. It's an Athlon XP 2100+ with just a wireless ethernet adapter and also an additional ethernet adapter. Everything is connected how it should be and I'm sure I have enough power. The PSU is 350 Watts. My problem is that once I installed the card every time I go into 3dmark or even dxdiag the computer just freezes and locks up. Could it be because I didn't reinstall DirectX or is it not that big of a deal? This is frustrating me and I don't want to have to return the card the day after I bought it. Can anyone help? Thank you.

MUYA
02-18-04, 04:37 PM
I dun think its is DirectX...it may lie within your windows installation of drivers etc. Make sure you ahve installed the latest ones and properly at that. If you had a different 3d card before then you probably have to remove all traces of those drivers files etc.

Sonic
02-18-04, 04:38 PM
I ran Driver Cleaner 2 if that would help me any. I only have the drivers installed from the CD that came with the card for now. Should I try the newest drivers, would that possibly help?

MUYA
02-18-04, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Sonic
I ran Driver Cleaner 2 if that would help me any. I only have the drivers installed from the CD that came with the card for now. Should I try the newest drivers, would that possibly help?

well do try the latest drivers What Windows are u using? Win9X are funny when it comes to driver installations etc. Do games work allright? or is this just specific to dx diag and 3dmark?

Maybe a fresh install would help?

Sonic
02-18-04, 06:06 PM
No DirectX app that I have tried is working. I uninstalled the CD drivers then installed the newest drivers from Nvidia's website to no avail. It seems the card is broken from the factory but that makes absolutely no sense. s there anyway I can uninstall DX9 and reinstall it to see if it helps? I also have the latest BIOS and 4in1 drivers for my mobo but none of that has helped either. Is there a certain voltage I should be at like 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 in the BIOS? I might have to do a fresh install but I think that won't really be of much help in this matter.

goofjb
02-18-04, 08:22 PM
Do you have win9x or XP? It can make a difference. Also you might be able to just reinstall DirectX over the previous version and it might fix the problem if DirectX is the problem

Sonic
02-19-04, 08:18 AM
I have WinXP and have already reinstalled DX9 again. It didn't work, I guess I will play around with it for a little while longer to see if it works. If that doesn't work I'll have to take the card back and get it replaced it seems. It seems odd to me that PNY wouild ship a faulty card, don't they test them first?

theultimo
02-19-04, 10:05 PM
If anything, like they said, use driver cleaner and/or directx eradicator to start over with DX9. There might be some ATI/Nvidia components screwing each other up.

Blacklash
02-23-04, 12:57 AM
I would boot into safemode (F8) ?, and run DC2 from there. Run clean ati drivers, and all media category subsets, any fecking thing that says ati.

Then reinstall direct x9, then your nvidia drivers.

Lock ups can come from IQ assignment conflicts too, Try to make sure nothing is on the same IQ as the video card. IRQ 10 is good for video cards. You can download Aida32 from alot of sites and it might give you some good additional system info. Search it under any engine.