PDA

View Full Version : STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl


CaptNKILL
02-18-04, 06:54 PM
Yep.. the game has been renamed from STALKER: Oblivion Lost to STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

I read it here...
http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1077119939/

there are also some new screens, so check those out

This game is going to rock ;)

stncttr908
02-18-04, 07:11 PM
I kinda liked the old name more. Oh well, new or old name it's going to rock.

saturnotaku
02-18-04, 08:40 PM
Who gives a crap what it's called, I just saw those new screens...absolutely incredible. Those landscape shots are amazing. It's hard to believe that this is a computer game. :eek:

Vash
02-18-04, 09:01 PM
Those are some really impressive screenshots. I wasn't paying much attention to this one, but I am now!

Edge
02-19-04, 01:07 AM
Yeah the new title is kinda strange. I thought Oblivion Lost was fine, but now not only are companies silly enough to think that every game needs a subtitle, but they're also giving them bad subtitles and changing the subtitle halfway through the game. I can't wait until "Stalker 2: The Search for Oblivion Which was Lost in the Last Game" comes out. Actually I'm not even sure why they're basing it on a real-world location, it's not like any of the things they'll show in the game are even remotely similar to what it will actually be like overthere.

Anyway, it looks pretty nice, about what I expected. Looking forward to this one, it would be awesome if it had some kind of "persistant world" online play where you're all in the same huge environment with dozens of other people (hey, I can dream, can't I?). Though I'm getting worried about all these FPS games coming out next year...last year we only had 1 or 2 good releases, but now it seems like we'll be getting a new FPS every month of 2004. Not that I mind having more choices, but you know what they say about too much of a good thing...

LycosV
02-19-04, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Actually I'm not even sure why they're basing it on a real-world location, it's not like any of the things they'll show in the game are even remotely similar to what it will actually be like overthere.

Actually, they are modelling the stuff in the game off of Cherynoble. They went to russia to visit the site, and have created buildings and landscapes based on the actual area. One of the movies of it (I can't remember which one) shows some of the real buildings, and then transitions to the ones in game. I think it's a very good idea. Most of the time game developers miss a lot of the details that make an area look "real" maybe by modeling it on a actual place, they can get closer. And based on their screenshots, it looks pretty good. :)

LycosV

-=DVS=-
02-19-04, 03:03 AM
Graphics are really detailed will probably run like ass , on current generation of cards :(

Edge
02-19-04, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by LycosV
Actually, they are modelling the stuff in the game off of Cherynoble. They went to russia to visit the site, and have created buildings and landscapes based on the actual area. One of the movies of it (I can't remember which one) shows some of the real buildings, and then transitions to the ones in game. I think it's a very good idea. Most of the time game developers miss a lot of the details that make an area look "real" maybe by modeling it on a actual place, they can get closer. And based on their screenshots, it looks pretty good. :)

LycosV

Well, I was talking more about the mutated bears and zombie vultures ;)

But yeah, the environments seem very well built, the first time I saw that transition video I didn't even notice it went from live-action to game (though when I watched it again it was fairly obvious). It looks like a great simulation of the town, but from the screenshots and such you'd think it was a "true story" or something except for the mutant creatures and such. Though I bet the game would be eerie for anyone who used to live in Chernobyl, you'd be able to tell exactly where to go and what buildings are where, not to mention you'd be able to see your old house and go into it, and know that millions of gamers will be able to do the same thing :eek:

Chalnoth
02-19-04, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by LycosV
Actually, they are modelling the stuff in the game off of Cherynoble. They went to russia to visit the site, and have created buildings and landscapes based on the actual area.
Edit:
Well, it is a Ukrainian company that's making the game.

Regardless, it really looks like they've done an amazing job with the weather simulation and the organic environments. I just hope it plays as good as it looks! And even if it doesn't, it'll still look friggin' amazing....

|JuiceZ|
02-19-04, 06:16 AM
Yea they demoed this one at the Editors Day Event last yr. Can't wait till it comes out :cool:

Fatman
02-19-04, 02:28 PM
Chernobyl is in Ukraine, so they didn't have too much trouble accessing restricted "zone". Moreover, apartment buildings in Soviet Union were the same regardless of where they were built. Sort of like Lego sets, there were 5 story, 16 story, etc identical looking apartment buildings in every city.

On the side note, my uncle was serving in the armed forces at the time of the Chernobyl accident, in 1986 I belive. His unit was one of many makeshift haz-mat units, removing tires and other equipment from vehicles that became radioactive as a result of working in the fallout zone. They would strip the interior, tires and other non metallic items from bulldozers, cranes, APCs, etc and burry them in classified locations. They had to take HUGE iodine pills, each about the size of a US quarter $ coin. And you couldn't bite the pill, it had to be swallowed whole. That's besides wearing hazmat suits during those lovely summer days... He told me that the scariest thing he saw there was the deserted city of Chernobyl. No people, no animals, not even house pets. No birds singing, no insects, just as if death itself descended on the city.

Woodelf
02-19-04, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Fatman
Chernobyl is in Ukraine, so they didn't ........

That's a very interesting story Fatman. Just leave it to the Armed Forces to come up with a pill the size of a quarter that You can't chew.;)

I'm really looking foward to this game. More than Farcry or Doom 3, But I don't know about Half Life 2. I think that game is going to end up being pure genius.

Shaitan
02-21-04, 03:50 PM
" I thought Oblivion Lost was fine"

I thought Oblivion Lost gave the game a more of an otherworldly feel. A sort of "our world has moved on" kinda thing. But now they add Chernobyl. Sounds like a political thing now. Leave politics to the real world. I want apocalyptic angles. lol On another note, it would be coolness of a portion of the game proceeds were going to be spent on easing the suffering of the victoms of the Chernobyl incident.

Fatman forgot to mention his uncles urine glows green at night time. ;0) No more need for a night light. j/k

Chalnoth
02-21-04, 04:35 PM
I don't really see why it'd be a political thing. Sounds like a classic, "Radiation creates mutants," premise.

Blacklash
02-22-04, 02:37 PM
*Whistles*

I do like those screens shots...

DLT
02-24-04, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Yeah the new title is kinda strange. I thought Oblivion Lost was fine, but now not only are companies silly enough to think that every game needs a subtitle, but they're also giving them bad subtitles and changing the subtitle halfway through the game. I can't wait until "Stalker 2: The Search for Oblivion Which was Lost in the Last Game" comes out. Actually I'm not even sure why they're basing it on a real-world location, it's not like any of the things they'll show in the game are even remotely similar to what it will actually be like overthere.

Anyway, it looks pretty nice, about what I expected. Looking forward to this one, it would be awesome if it had some kind of "persistant world" online play where you're all in the same huge environment with dozens of other people (hey, I can dream, can't I?). Though I'm getting worried about all these FPS games coming out next year...last year we only had 1 or 2 good releases, but now it seems like we'll be getting a new FPS every month of 2004. Not that I mind having more choices, but you know what they say about too much of a good thing...

If I remember right its an rpg not an fps.