PDA

View Full Version : AMD CPU temps

Athena
02-19-04, 10:37 AM
I have a AMD Barton 2500+ not OC'd and the full load temp is around 55 degrees. Is this really bad?

Also I am looking to OC this thing to 2 Ghz like I did my older 1700+ but the 1700+ only hit about 54 under full load using an old Volcano 6 cu+ and my new CPU is using a new X-Dream w/ copper base.

stncttr908
02-19-04, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Athena
I have a AMD Barton 2500+ not OC'd and the full load temp is around 55 degrees. Is this really bad?

Also I am looking to OC this thing to 2 Ghz like I did my older 1700+ but the 1700+ only hit about 54 under full load using an old Volcano 6 cu+ and my new CPU is using a new X-Dream w/ copper base. Mine gets to around 50C under full load while encoding video or something else very CPU intensive. If you're not having lockups, I wouldn't worry about it. According to AMD, anything under 75C (?!?) is acceptable. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that, I wouldn't be concerned by 55.

MUYA
02-19-04, 10:53 AM
My 2800+ Barton is overclocked to 2.2Ghz (default voltage) and during idleness, its hoves below 40 degress. When on full load around, 45-48 degrees. This is with a SLK 900A+4500 RPM screaming 80mm Delta fan on it.

Athena
02-19-04, 10:55 AM
Any one use a one of those new Jet coolers?

|JuiceZ|
02-19-04, 01:37 PM
Any one use a one of those new Jet coolers?

nope but I remember reading a review the other day that in the conclusion said its a cooler geared more towards case modding enthusiasts than those concerned with perfmance. Basically its not a bad cooler, it just looks better than it performs.

Nutty
02-19-04, 02:14 PM
Mine gets quite warm, running at 1.9. If my house is particularly warm my 60 degree alarm goes off.

Gonna get meself an SLK 947 as soon as pay day arrives, but I'm looking for a quiet fan to put on, but something that will keep my cpu cool enough for 2.2Ghz.

Just using a stock barton 2500 cooler at the mo, and my case is quite old and doesn't have great ventilation either.

Athena
02-19-04, 02:37 PM
Just read the reviews of the areo 7+ and they are rocking this thing is about 25 to 30 bucks and cools w/ the best of the best. Only problem for me is my MOBO has the CPU up against the top edge so unless I can flip the clip it bumps into the psu. (Bad MOBO design by FIC w/ a case that is just a wee bit too short.)

Actually my X-Dream has good reviews as well so maybe I will test the temps again now that the Artic Silver5 has had a few days to set.

http://www.coolermaster.com/?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product_list&p_class=111

That Jet cooler is huge as well jsut read that review you saw. :eek: I do not think that would fit in my case.

-=DVS=-
02-19-04, 03:31 PM
Just read the reviews of the areo 7+ and they are rocking this thing is about 25 to 30 bucks and cools w/ the best of the best. Only problem for me is my MOBO has the CPU up against the top edge so unless I can flip the clip it bumps into the psu. (Bad MOBO design by FIC w/ a case that is just a wee bit too short.)

Actually my X-Dream has good reviews as well so maybe I will test the temps again now that the Artic Silver5 has had a few days to set.

http://www.coolermaster.com/?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product_list&p_class=111

That Jet cooler is huge as well jsut read that review you saw. :eek: I do not think that would fit in my case.

Well it looks realy nice , but is it effective cooler ?

By Athena

Thats kinda hot :eek: , you got bad cooler or not enough grease or attachet badly , my old Athlon Xp 2400+ never reached 40C under load , and Athlon 64 3200+ with retail HFS maxes out at 40+C or so. under load.

Dazz
02-19-04, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it 65C and under is good, sure it reduces it's life but you would of got rid of it long ago before dies. The downside being you will find that you room will heat up alot more.

shim
02-20-04, 10:17 AM
ive found once the XP's get round 55-60 mark thats when some instability kicks in.. so try and keep it under that when clockin it..

DLT
02-20-04, 10:26 AM
Think yourself lucky my 2800 is 65 idle and its at stock speeds.Im guessing the core is chipped.so no overclocking for me :(

But its been like that for a year now and is still going strong so you should be fine.

Malfunction
02-20-04, 11:09 AM
My XP2100+ sat around 65c to 75c. Granted it was like 38c ambient temp, but hey... you gotta do what you gotta do. :D I might get a better case instead of a new HSF first. Something with alot of potential and plenty of space for air to flow out. *If your case is a bit snug or you have the inside all cluttered.

Typically this is more beneficial than a HSF alone, as many as I have noticed. :cool:

Peace,

:afro:

zoomy942
02-20-04, 11:37 AM
my 2500+ is running at 2.4 and it is at about 55 under load.

Athena
02-20-04, 01:39 PM
I got a idea from Bjorn3D that my problem might have been I put way to much Atric Silver on before attaching the heat sink. I am going to clean that mess up and give it another go. Also I need to twist tie some of the cables, maybe get some round IDE ones as well, before I go sending more money as you guys note.

Also my tiny case only has one 80 mm exhaust and then the PSU fans.
It has one 80 mm pulling in air as well.