PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 3 and AMD751 AGP Bridge speed

fsmunoz
02-20-04, 08:01 AM
Hello all,

I recently bought a Geforce 3 (really, was still on sale and at a very good price), 64Mb DDR 128bits. It has TV-OUT and Video-IN with a Philips TV tuner. The heatsink covers the RAM, which is a good thing.

My system is a bit old, but still more than good enough for me (Athlon 700Mhz / 318 Mb RAM), It has a AMD 751 AGP Bridge.

I am running Debian GNU/Linux with kernel 2.6.1; the nvidia drivers installed perfectly. I have a question regarding AGP speed tough.

I use agpgart (compiled into the kernel) and the card was being initialized at 1x. Since the nVidia drivers dont allow the "AGPMode" parameter to X I changed a setting in os-registry.c to force 2x AGP mode (its the one in the README, something like ReqAGPSpeed=2). Now the card uses AGP 2x, and seems to do so without any problems.

My question is if this setting is known to be a bad thing. Basically, are there any other people with the same chipset that use AGP 2x, and if so, any problems with this setting? The spped increase in negligible in the OpenGL programs I run, so if this is known to cause instability I would nor lose a lot by reverting to the default 1x configuration.

BTW, I have the nvclock utility, and I was wondering is someone with a Geforce3 could comment on the relative merits of overclocking. I was wondering if a conservative overclock would give some beneficts without compromising stability. Any reference on where I can find possible values for this?

Best Regards,

Frederico Muņoz

fsmunoz
02-20-04, 08:14 AM
Sorry, I managed to post this on the wrong Forum. Could some admin move this to the Linux section, or just delete this and Ill post it again in the Linux section.

thanks,

Frederico Munoz

goofjb
02-21-04, 02:59 AM
I had an AMD 751 chipet mobo. Actaully it was my first built computer. Ahhh memories... :D. Anyway, I had Win98 installed but I had 2x AGP and a Geforce 3 in the setup and it ran fine. As far as OCing goes the Geforce 3 cards were great OCer's in general. I wish I could remember my clock speeds but that was awhile ago. You will get an increase in performance. Just how much depends on how much you want to OC it. The nice thign about vid cards is they seem to take a lot of abuse, if you OC to far and say its locks up on you just restart and take settings down. Have fun :)!

fsmunoz
02-23-04, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by goofjb
I had an AMD 751 chipet mobo. Actaully it was my first built computer. Ahhh memories... :D. Anyway, I had Win98 installed but I had 2x AGP and a Geforce 3 in the setup and it ran fine. As far as OCing goes the Geforce 3 cards were great OCer's in general. I wish I could remember my clock speeds but that was awhile ago. You will get an increase in performance. Just how much depends on how much you want to OC it. The nice thign about vid cards is they seem to take a lot of abuse, if you OC to far and say its locks up on you just restart and take settings down. Have fun :)!

Many thanks for your answer. I have the AGP speed set at 2x and no problem until now.

As far as OCing, Ivre been trying several values. The card can indeed handle values that I tought would be iimpossible. I have settled for a small increase in both core and memory speed, but to be honest I dont know if Ill keep it, the reason being that with my system the bottleneck isnt the the GPU but in the processor itself. As an example I can run Q3A at 1024x768 with all setting at High Quality and get around 70 FPS (more than what I was getting with my ATI Rage 128 at 640x480). This rate is more than enough for me. Newer games (RTCW: ET) have less FPSs, but still completely playable at this high settings. On the other hand UT2k4 Demo is only playable at the smallest resolution, but this is more due to the aging Athlon 700 than anything else.

All things considered Im a happy camper :) A small investement (I bought the card dor around 35 EUR) produded dramattic increases in my system, graphic-wise.

Best Regards,

Frederico Munoz

goofjb
02-23-04, 01:21 PM
I had an 800mhz Solt A. I got to see how much of a bottleneck the porcessor was when I got a better mobo, CPU and used the same vid card. My benchmarks went way up. I kind of miss my first build though.