PDA

View Full Version : R Type

UDawg
02-21-04, 12:23 PM
Before I Google it, does anyone know where I can find R Type free on the net?

SuLinUX
02-21-04, 12:40 PM
MAME32 (http://www.mameworld.net/) and emule(for the roms) will get you R Type. :D

Clay
02-21-04, 01:47 PM
There are also some well done versions of it on the original Playstation...you could snag those for next to nothing most places.

ragejg
02-21-04, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by MaxPower
There are also some well done versions of it on the original Playstation...you could snag those for next to nothing most places.

heh, regarding that, I gots one thing to say: ePSXe (foshiz)

UDawg
02-21-04, 02:06 PM
Way cool! Thanks kids. :)

shim
02-22-04, 06:53 AM
now thats a game i remember from the amiga days.. :P

theultimo
02-22-04, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by shim
now thats a game i remember from the amiga days.. :P

PROJECT X

Much better IMO :thumbsup:http://www.back2roots.org/View/Project%20-%20X%2004%2C1/

Clay
02-22-04, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by theultimo
PROJECT X

Much better IMO :thumbsup:http://www.back2roots.org/View/Project%20-%20X%2004%2C1/ Cool link! I had an Amiga 2000HD back in high school and my art teacher had a 3000. My 2000HD is in storage now, I feel like getting it out now with this talk. :)

DaveW
02-26-04, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
heh, regarding that, I gots one thing to say: ePSXe (foshiz)

If going for ePSXe, you may aswell go for Einhander too :) Much better horizontal scroller than R Type or Project X, and not just because it uses polygon 3D graphics. Einhander is the only playstation game I still own.

Edge
02-27-04, 06:06 AM
Huh, I was just thinking of Einhander the other day. Interesting game, though it's fairly rare now. G-darius is also another good one, though I'd imagine since it's so bizare that it's best played when you're high :p

Oh, for top-down shooters Ikaruga and Zero Gunner 2 are some great ones for Dreamcast. Both games are "small" as well, if you know what I mean ;)

DaveW
02-27-04, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Oh, for top-down shooters Ikaruga and Zero Gunner 2 are some great ones for Dreamcast. Both games are "small" as well, if you know what I mean ;)

Got both of those. I bought the last Dreamcast from my local Gamestop for 17 dollars only 1 month ago and played Ikaruga for the first time. Damn its good! I've been playing it regularly but aren't really good at it yet. I got to the end of level 3, my max chain is 28 I think.

Edge
02-27-04, 07:57 AM
Yeah, Ikaruga is pretty damn challenging. I still haven't beat it. But THE way to play that game is on a tilted monitor with a VGA box, it's SOOO much better. Oh, and if you think getting a 28 combo is good, you should see the videos I have that show someone comboing the ENTIRE first two levels!

theultimo
02-27-04, 01:17 PM
hmm..got Ikargua on GC imported...same as DC version?

Clay
02-27-04, 01:19 PM
Huh, I was just thinking of Einhander the other day. Interesting game, though it's fairly rare now. I've got a copy of Einhander. It is a cool game...can get really frustrating in that there's no real save feature...course that's par for the course on side scrolling shooters. :)

Edge
02-27-04, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by theultimo
hmm..got Ikargua on GC imported...same as DC version?

Pretty much, though the GC version had a few extra things like some ranking mode or something and there's no more slowdown when the bosses explode (though I thought that was a cool feature in the DC version!). Though getting it to work on a tilted monitor is quite a bit more of a hassle, since there's no cheap and readilly availible VGA box for the GC (I got my DC VGA box for under $20 like 3 years ago).

fivefeet8
02-27-04, 03:19 PM
If you guys like Ikaruga, try out it's predecessor, Radiant Silvergun. ;)

Edge
02-27-04, 05:02 PM
Oh yeah, Radiant Silvergun is the one I forgot to mention in my last post (I thought I left one out). Unfortunatly, it's hard to find, both legally and illegally, and the emulated version of the requires a good computer and has a few glitches (especially with sound, which is MUCH worse quality than the original Saturn version). Still, very good game, and probably one of the more complex top-down shooters out there. Oh, and Armada on the Dreamcast was another fun one. Great 4 player game, and it had a sort of Diablo-like addictivness once you get into it (which is appropriate, since they're both action-RPGs).

BTW, anyone else notice I seem to be making every other post in this topic? Man, when I have a big download going and need to pass the time I just become a post ***** :D

StealthHawk
02-28-04, 03:39 AM
Pretty much, though the GC version had a few extra things like some ranking mode or something and there's no more slowdown when the bosses explode (though I thought that was a cool feature in the DC version!).

When I played Ikaruga on my friend's GC it lagged a lot when I killed the bosses.

DaveW
02-28-04, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
When I played Ikaruga on my friend's GC it lagged a lot when I killed the bosses.

Thats because the bosses die with huge explosions consisting of extreme numbers of sprites KABLOOOOOSHHHHHhhhhh!!!!! I think all my DC shooters do that, I don't mind it.

Anyway... Psyvaria 2 just got released. Dust of your Dreamcasts coz it ROCKS!!!!

My Dreamcast must be the best 17 dollars I ever spent!

Edge
02-28-04, 08:27 PM
Psyv....what? I'm interested in this, though I've heard nothing about it. What kind of game is it? And is it "readilly" availible, or just availible ;)

And yes, DC has to be one of the best deals in gaming. Hell, I've probably gotten my money's worth out of it just from watching anime on it. I haven't even gotten much into the emulator stuff yet.

DaveW
02-29-04, 08:20 AM
Psyv....what? I'm interested in this, though I've heard nothing about it. What kind of game is it? And is it "readilly" availible, or just availible ;)

And yes, DC has to be one of the best deals in gaming. Hell, I've probably gotten my money's worth out of it just from watching anime on it. I haven't even gotten much into the emulator stuff yet.

Psyvariar 2 is by Success. It was an arcade game released in Nov 2003 on Sega Naomi hardware, which I guess is why the DC port came out so first. A game cube port is to be released later. Its a vertical scrolling shooter that has the option of being played full screen if you rotate your TV 90 degrees. Psyvariar has a buzz system, where you earn points and level up by steering your mech as close to the enemy bullets as possible. Basically a bullet only kills you if you hit it dead on, but you can "scrape" whole streams of bullets and chain up a massive buzz score.

Here is the home page:

http://www.success-corp.co.jp/software/ac/psyvariar2/index.html

There are some screenshots, which don't really do it justice.

The DC version was released thursday and a couple of importers already had it by saturday. You can order it online like I did, but until it arrives you can find it on BitTorrent, but don't ask me ware... sorry, "where" :)