PDA

View Full Version : tripple buffering please

kyleb
02-22-04, 11:43 PM
i can't seem to figure out a way to get tripple buffering forced in opengl with the latest forceware drivers. any have a clue how this can be done?

Skinner
02-23-04, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by kyleb
i can't seem to figure out a way to get tripple buffering forced in opengl with the latest forceware drivers. any have a clue how this can be done?

Nope as far as I know it's not possible.

Buy an ATI card, or deal with the tearingm, or halved fps.

kyleb
02-24-04, 02:10 AM
actually i have an ati card, i was just asking for a freind of my that i sold my geforce3 to as well as another friend who just bought a dell with a 64bit 5200. the geforce3 does alight for the most part but th 5200 realy strugles in cs and i was hoping there was a tweek utility that i could help thes guys out with. as i recall older drivers had tripple buffering, but as for new drivers i take it they are out of luck? is there not some tweek utility or something that can do this?

MaxBlade
02-24-04, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Skinner

Buy an ATI card, or deal with the tearingm, or halved fps.

Deal with the tearing, that's funny. :D

Nutty
02-24-04, 02:01 PM

BS. It all depends on the game and how much v-ram you're using. I never have a problem with getting tripple buffering.

What game are you trying to get it to work in, what gfx-card do you have, how much video ram? Are you using AA ? AA eats up alot of video memory, which might not leave you enough for 3 frame-buffers worth.

kyleb
02-24-04, 05:55 PM
like i said it's not a problem for me as i run an ati card, but i am looking into this for two of my friends. one has my old 64mb orignal geforce3 that i sold him and the other has a 128mb fx5200. i went over and tried geting things to work on the fx5200 the other day and it was halving framerate regardless of aa settings. i think my friend with the geforce uses x2aa, and i'll check with him to see if turning it off helps; but i tend to doubt it will as it didn't help on the 128mb card and the game in question is couterstrike which isn't exactly a videoram heavy game.

oh and MaxBlade, what is so funny? tearing sucks.

kyleb
02-24-04, 06:41 PM
just had my friend with the geforce3 try no aa and he still gets no tripple buffering. obviously it isn't a vram issue, so what is the deal?

StealthHawk
02-25-04, 12:32 AM
I'd just like to chime in and say that I could never get triple buffering working in Counter-Strike with my gf3 either.

Nutty
02-25-04, 03:15 AM
triple buffering works fine for me in CS on my gf4.

Skinner
02-25-04, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Nutty
BS. It all depends on the game and how much v-ram you're using. I never have a problem with getting tripple buffering.

What game are you trying to get it to work in, what gfx-card do you have, how much video ram? Are you using AA ? AA eats up alot of video memory, which might not leave you enough for 3 frame-buffers worth.

BS? I never talk BS when I'm sober.
Anyway I was talking about enabling it via openGL in the drivers, that's NOT possible AFAIK, some openGL games let you allow it in the cfg.file.

If i'm wrong I'm dying to know how you get it working.

Nutty
02-25-04, 06:22 PM
Yes OpenGL doesn't expose anyway to do triple buffering. I was talking to an ex NV engineer, and he says they've never done it in OpenGL, so I might've been wrong. That said, NVhardpage has a triple buffering option in the OpenGL tab :confused:

I tried it enabled and disabled in CS, and my frame-rates gradually decreased as rendering increased, not sudden jumps down to 50.. Unless the frame-rate counter in CS is pants..

StealthHawk
02-25-04, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Yes OpenGL doesn't expose anyway to do triple buffering. I was talking to an ex NV engineer, and he says they've never done it in OpenGL, so I might've been wrong. That said, NVhardpage has a triple buffering option in the OpenGL tab :confused:

I'd like to point out that ATI's Catalyst drivers allow you to force triplebuffering in OGL. Although I hear that it doesn't work in all games.

I tried it enabled and disabled in CS, and my frame-rates gradually decreased as rendering increased, not sudden jumps down to 50.. Unless the frame-rate counter in CS is pants..

So you're saying that you enabled triple buffering in CS from within the game itself? Not that I play CS anymore, but how do you do that?

Nutty
02-26-04, 03:31 AM
No, I meant enabling triple bufffering using Nvhardpage.