PDA

View Full Version : Omega's drivers.

Pages : [1] 2

Blakhart
10-04-02, 03:02 AM
Your thoughts please.
So far I like them tremendously. Very nice image.

StealthHawk
10-04-02, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Blakhart
Your thoughts please.
So far I like them tremendously. Very nice image.

unless something has changed there is absolutely nothing that you can't do by yourself that Omega does. last i looked he just mixed and matched D3D drivers and OGL ones and messed with the LOD settings.

saturnotaku
10-04-02, 08:35 AM
Yep. Nothing in these drivers you can't do yourself in RivaTuner. In fact, he set the LOD so low that it caused some pretty bad texture aliasing.

Kruno
10-04-02, 10:11 AM
According to Omega you won't be able to do it without the "special tools" he uses or something like that.

saturnotaku
10-04-02, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
According to Omega you won't be able to do it without the "special tools" he uses or something like that.

The special tools being a mouse and keyboard? When I installed his drivers and opened up RivaTuner, I could see my OpenGL LOD slider moved all the way down to -3 by default. :eek:

Like I said, I could have done that myself if I wanted to experience some lovely texture aliasing. Personally, I think he should stick with ATI drivers because it's what he does best.

Kruno
10-04-02, 10:57 AM
Dude, argue that point with Omega lolz.
I'm not the one insisting that it isn't possible to tweak the drivers like he does using RT.

saturnotaku
10-04-02, 11:11 AM
But you're so much more fun to argue with! :D

Seriously I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just going on my experience with his drivers - that's all. :cool:

thcdru2k
10-15-02, 09:25 PM
it's just crap lod adjustments, load up gtu, with omega and save the settings, and use them with the regular nvidia, it'll look and perform the same.

styles-T
10-17-02, 11:11 AM
Whats the FPS difference compared to NVIDIA..Now if he can acheive those settings with better FPS than NVIDIA Dets - I think the drivers are worth it.

styles-T
10-17-02, 11:18 AM
NM -

I just saw the screen shots and FPS comparison from FS. These drivers are worthless. You take a hit in 3dmark and FPS.

Omegadrive
10-17-02, 08:09 PM
I'm not here to make any fights or try to get the drivers thrugh your eyes, I'm here to clarify some points:

1- The drivers have been modified heavily since the first release, the texture shimmering is almost unnoticeable now, only if you set the brightness of you monitor too high you will barely see it.

2- I didn't used Riva Tuner "only" for the tweaks, in fact, most of the tweaks where took from the HEX view of the DLLs.

3- I added two new options for the drivers: quality OR speed. You can choose the one you want when installing them, and that is something nobody mentions. With the quality settings enabled the LOD is altered a "bit" to make textures sharper, while in the speed setting, the LOD haven't been touched, the quality is the same as the nvidia drivers, but with added tweaks. If you don't like the extra detail just use the speed drivers.

4- The drivers include some new resolutions that NO NVIDIA DRIVERS include, and they all work perfectly.

5- They include all of the hidden nvidia configuration tabs, including overclocking, AGP transfer adjusting and screen rotation.

6- The drivers are targetted to newbies that don't know shoot about tweaking and just want to load the drivers and start playing. Also for experienced users that want to get the most out of their investment without having to mess with settings to get their games going.

7- So far many people like them and some not, specially because of the quality setting, but as soon as they change to the speed setting they don't go back to "plain" nvidia drivers.

8- I have been tweaking and releasing drivers since the voodoo 3 days, and even some companies, like codemasters, recommend my drivers for their games.

You are not speaking with a newbie that started messing with riva tuner just yesterday, I'm an expert in windows, the registry and DLLs. I know what I'm doing and will continue to help people with my drivers as long as I can.

GOD bless you all,
Omegadrive

CraigGen
10-17-02, 08:32 PM
But who the hell are YOU calling the drivers 'Omega Drivers' ?

You make out as if they are YOUR drivers, when that can't be far from the truth.

If I was NVidia, I would either send you a nice friendly email, or a not so friendly Lawyer.

I think they are just average, and, like everyone said, something that we can all do ourselves. Even newbies.

I just think you are an attention seeking, arrogant, individual.

thcdru2k
10-17-02, 09:20 PM
LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!

digitalwanderer
10-18-02, 12:57 PM
Well, it looks like me and you won't be friends.

Originally posted by CraigGen
But who the hell are YOU calling the drivers 'Omega Drivers' ?

You make out as if they are YOUR drivers, when that can't be far from the truth.

He doesn't call them "Omega Drivers", he calls them "Omegadrive's modified driver sets". Most people/articles seem to make that mistake, I gave up trying to correct everyone on it over a year ago. These ARE his drivers in the same sense that the set I custom tweak for my rig are MY drivers. He never claims to write them from scratch, just to tweak the manufacturers and he goes out of his way to explain that MANY times.

BTW-The man's handle is "Omegadrive". He's been putting out tweaked driver sets under that name since the voodoo2, what would you suggest he call them?

If I was NVidia, I would either send you a nice friendly email, or a not so friendly Lawyer.

You're not, and they haven't. I'm sure they know where to find him and what he's doing, and THEY don't seem to mind it. What put the bug up your ass about it?

I think they are just average, and, like everyone said, something that we can all do ourselves.

Go right ahead, you're more than welcome to. And when you get this better tweaked set out why don't you put it up for everyone to download, and open up a forum for it where they can get support and put in input on them.

And then have some asshole call you an "attention seeking, arragont, individual." for your troubles! :rolleyes:

Even newbies.

Than you've met a different breed of newbie than I.

I just think you are an attention seeking, arrogant, individual.

And I think you are a bitter person who is unhappy with yourself so you are trying to find faults/belittle someone else to help you compensate for your own inadequancies. Ain't it great that everyone can have their own opinion?

Bottom line: If you don't like them, don't use them. Some do, some don't....but I just don't understand peoples need to be an asshole about a guy who's just trying to help people!

DaveW
10-18-02, 01:08 PM
LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!

{Round One.... FIGHT!}

styles-T
10-18-02, 01:14 PM
Actually if anyone is to be flamed its probably the people who havnt tried the drivers and make assumptions such as myself..

I'll give the drivers a shot and do some tests with the nvidia drivers see what works best with my system..

Bottom line: If you don't like them, don't use them. Some do, some don't....but I just don't understand peoples need to be an asshole about a guy who's just trying to help people!

So true..

Keep up the hard work Omega..

walkndude
10-18-02, 01:58 PM
Sorry omega, I have to strongly disagree about your texture shimmering/aliasing comment. The actual image quality of your drivers is EXTREMELY poor while actually "playing" any of the games I've tested them on...

Max payne, Giants, revolt, nolf(1), avp2, UT(1), sacrifice all look absolutely hideous. I would have tested more but couldnt reason why to bother. Hope you dont take this as a flame as I would give you an A for effort.

Recommending these drivers for noobs, I must say, is just flat out the wrong thing to do. Absolutely a no-no. I would strongly advise ANYONE, noob or self proclaimed expert, to stay away.

Once again, sorry omega...

Omegadrive
10-18-02, 07:36 PM
But walkndude, one question, Did you tried the PERFORMACE mode?

That's why I included it, for people that didn't liked the extra detail, when you run the setup you must select the type of driver mode you want to use, performance or quality, if you tested quality mode when you tried them, and didn't liked it, then just run the setup again and choose performance mode, then you'll have your normal nvidia quality, but with the extra features I add to the drivers.

Try it and let me know your new opinion.

BTW, Thanks digi :D

walkndude
10-18-02, 08:06 PM
Didnt try performance mode, ill check it out later tonight and post my opinions.

The Baron
10-18-02, 10:11 PM
It doesn't matter if they're that great or not--it matters that the option is THERE. Different drivers work differently for everybody. IQ is subjective. Some people will think his drivers in any mode are the most wonderful thing since women. Others will think it's the worst thing since... erm.... women ;)

I haven't tried them--40.72s have worked great, and I don't want to break it. But I know that back in my Radeon days, I SWORE by these things. Don't be so quick to bash him... he's not stupid :p

snave
10-21-02, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by walkndude
[B]Sorry omega, I have to strongly disagree about your texture shimmering/aliasing comment. The actual image quality of your drivers is EXTREMELY poor while actually "playing" any of the games I've tested them on...

Max payne, Giants, revolt, nolf(1), avp2, UT(1), sacrifice all look absolutely hideous. I would have tested more but couldnt reason why to bother. Hope you dont take this as a flame as I would give you an A for effort.

S******. Playing boys games entitles you to make an assessment, does it..? Try a man's game. Try FS2002. Nothing comes close to the Omega-modded drivers for quality and control.

Anyway, IQ is dependant on system specs as much as card adn/or driver, and how you manage many other components. Or mismanage.

Hope you do take this as a flame. You are to technical reviewers what Pol Pot was to city regeneration.:p

saturnotaku
10-21-02, 11:05 PM
Flight Simulator 2002 a man's game? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Oh man, I had a lousy day at work and that just made my night. :D

And what's this "control" you speak of? Control of stuff that's easily done with RivaTuner, GeForce Tweak Utility or any of the other myriad of detonator tweaking programs? Oh, please clue me in with your vast knowledge of drivers because I'm dying to know. :rolleyes:

The Baron
10-22-02, 12:09 AM
Anyway, IQ is dependant on system specs as much as card adn/or driver, and how you manage many other components. Or mismanage.

See.... there's this reason it's called image quality. It has solely to do with your video card and drivers. 100%. You can't destroy image quality by making your sound card use some crappy driver--you destroy sound quality, not image quality.

So that whole thing is entirely bunk.

And FS2002... dude, you fly a bunch of ****ing passenger jets. How boring can you get? "Ma! Lookie at me! I'm going from Chicago to LA! WHEEEEE!"

Omega's drivers are useful because there are people who can't figure out RivaTuner for the life of em. But... for the rest of you... probably would just be better sticking to the normal nVidia ones.

Nice to have the option, though.

john19055
10-22-02, 12:48 AM
I thought Omega did some good Tweaking on drivers for 3DFX even though he was just taking different driver set amd mixing them,he would take D3D out of one and OGL out of another set.I think this is what he did for the ATI drivers too with some tweaking that he used with one of the Tweaker program.And they did work better in most cases.But his nvidia drivers are the worst ones that he has tried to create.And they should'nt be called Drivers any way,they should be called Omega's Tweaks.Anybody that can download Riva Tuner can do the same thing to Tweak the Nvidia drivers.

StealthHawk
10-22-02, 04:54 AM
i'm not following your logic. Omega did mix and match OGL and D3D drivers for his nvidia set, or at least he used to.