PDA

View Full Version : Is it my FX5900...??

XP-1800
02-24-04, 04:44 AM
I mainly play UT2003/2004 (online) and since installing my Creative Blaster 5 FX5900 128MB card (replacing my GF3 Ti200) I think I might have a heat problem ?
I can play for some 15 mins or so and then it will crash back to the desktop.
I have mounted an 80mm fan under the card blowing up. Also put an exhaust fan in the pci slot beneath it.
I have mounted a sensor on the card and it reads about 20 C normally and up to about 25 C when playing, so seems cool to me.
Other games don't crash (simpsons hit and run) etc but UT2003/2004 does and most annoying when playing on/offline.
Anyone any ideas ?
KR7A + XP1800 + 512MB DDR + XP Pro. + DX9 + Forceware v56.55's.

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 06:57 AM
Recent NVIDIA drivers have issues with UT2004. NVIDIA is aware of this and the next official release (which is supposed to be March 1) will fix those problems.

XP-1800
02-24-04, 08:18 AM
Many thanks, I will try out the newer ones when issued.

BTW I have my eye on the Abit NF7-S v2.0 board too......how do you rate it ?

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 08:24 AM
Abit boards are the best. I won't use anything else. I'm amazed that I've been able to push my CPU to a 215 fsb while still having voltage below 1.8. I've been folding for three straight days without a lick of trouble. CPU temp is about 55 under load and that's with a relatively crappy HSF. I don't believe in the "OMG WTF ur proc is over 50 u shud replac teh heetsink!!!" These CPUs are engineered to tolerate some pretty high temps so 55 doesn't bother me one bit.

Rytr
02-24-04, 08:48 AM
Don't think there is a better option in a NF2 board, hearing and experiencing the good results. The Abit NF7-S has just about everything you need and gives excellent stability and performance. I have a NF7-S refurb that is excellent although it could make use of a better processor, something in the Barton line.

The above is my opinion and I do not use just one brand. My latest venture was a first time use of a MSI-branded board for the A64 with the use of the Via chipset which I had formally swore that I would never use again (I ate my words on that one). Fortunately I tried it because at the time of purchase my other option, the Asus A64 board, was having problems with leaking caps. While I am sure that there are other boards just as good out now for the A64, the MSI still performs very well.

XP-1800
02-24-04, 10:29 AM
Many thanks.
I rather like the looks of the NF7-S v2.0 board and good to hear you are happy with yours which is what a lot of reviews have said, but others have said that the Asus boards are good too like the A7N8X series........but can't quite tear myself away from Abit................a bit like me and nvidia cards..........:D
Nearly tempted to go ATI...............but didn't make it.....:D

ringu61
02-24-04, 02:11 PM
i dun have problem with UT2004 , I have GFFX5950U 128MB from Leadtek.
I have heard that creative produce low quality FX and maybe that's the problem. :o