PDA

View Full Version : Geforce FX5200 Compatibility

Ramza
02-24-04, 06:07 AM
I am just wondering what the compatibility of a Leadtek Winfast A340 TDH Geforce FX5200 is like with the Intel P4 Titan 533 845G Motherboard(Gigabyte GA-8IGML-T series) on WinXP Pro?
As i am going to upgrade my pc with this motherboard as im having problems with the Leadtek card on my sis motherboard(tried everything possible, last resort is to replace my motherboard).
Or if anyone would like to try to help me fix the problem with my pc would be great.
Has anyone had new games like Max Payne 2, Broken Sword 3 and Rainbox Six 3: Raven Shield working without crashing with a ECS K7S5A(SIS 735 i think) with Geforce FX5200 on WinXP Pro?
Id really like to resolve this problem without having to buy a new motherboard.
My current PC specs are:
ECS K7S5A
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256MB RAM
80GB Seagate HDD
Leadtek Winfast A340 TDH Geforce FX5200 Video card
Onboard sound - Cmedia AC97
Running Windows XP Pro
All devices are updated with latest drivers, including motherboard bios.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

goofjb
02-24-04, 07:20 AM
Are using DRR or sdram on that mobo? I know it is the mobo which can use either. I'm really just curious to know becasue whether you are using DDR or sdram shouldn't matter. I will have to think a little more about problem your having. I would suggest upgrading anyway.

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 07:55 AM
Have you considered replacing the video card? With the amount of money you're going to spend on on a new motherboard and CPU, you could get yourself a GeForce FX 5900 non-ultra or Radeon 9800 Pro. Both of those will scale well with your existing system (an FX 5200 will be a huge bottleneck on a faster machine).

But if you want to try and solve your existing problems, have you set your card to run at AGP 4x in the BIOS? Force it, don't leave it as auto.

Gator
02-24-04, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by goofjb
Are using DRR or sdram on that mobo? I know it is the mobo which can use either. I'm really just curious to know becasue whether you are using DDR or sdram shouldn't matter. I will have to think a little more about problem your having. I would suggest upgrading anyway.

The ECS K7S5A is a funny animal, it can work flawlessly with SDRAM, or it can barely work at all with SDRAM. I've even witness using the same SDRAM moduals in one K7S5A and it worked fine, and then using the same moduals in a newer revision K7S5A and it kept crashing (installing DDR instead fixed the problem immediately).

So in short, if you're running SDRAM in the K7S5A it may be the cause of your problem, not the video card. :(

Ramza
02-24-04, 08:29 PM
Im using 256mb 266mhz ddr ram.
Im not considering buying a new card as im not sure if i buy another geforce fx it will work anyway i already have the motherboard i only need to buy the cpu. But i would like to get this problem with the ecs mb sorted out.
I have the bios set to 4x agp also.
Any ideas why games would work with a nocd crack but not normally?

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Ramza
Any ideas why games would work with a nocd crack but not normally?

Some CD-ROM and -RW drives can have problems with newer copy protection schemes. You can thank the game publishing companies for that.

Ramza
02-25-04, 01:58 AM
Ok, does anyone know if my Geforce fx5200 will work correctly with no problems with the gigabyte P4 titan 533(GA-8IGML-T) intel 845G chipset?
Playing all the new games without problems?