PDA

View Full Version : How do you buy your games?

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 06:49 PM
I was just kind of curious to know through what channels you purchase your games, be them console, PC or otherwise.

I pretty much exclusively shop at EB. The stores here in the Chicago area are staffed with good people with whom you can actually have a decent conversation about games. But the Gamestop stores around here are horrible.

I much prefer to give my money to the independent shops instead of places like Best Buy. The people working at the EB stores I frequent at least pretend to care about the customer. So how about you?

jAkUp
02-24-04, 07:46 PM
There is an EB right up the block from me:D Thats usually where I buy my games. The salespeople are ok most of the time... most:

Actually, today I went into EB and asked the guy when FarCry was coming out... he actually asked me what platform! *sniff* Where are all the PCGamers going:(

Sazar
02-24-04, 08:13 PM
EB.. they usually have the best prices and I can trade older games in :)

Malfunction
02-24-04, 08:34 PM
EB is in our mall, so I go there. Before, while I was in Cali, I use to go to Gamestop/Babages!. While living in Central TX, I went to Babages! and if you ask me, they are the feaking monopoly...lol. :D

Peace,

:afro:

vampireuk
02-24-04, 08:42 PM
EB, currently known as Game until around 2005 where it becomes EB again:screwy:

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
EB, currently known as Game until around 2005 where it becomes EB again:screwy:

That's messed up. But so far I'm glad to see that so many of you are supporting the independent shops. :cool:

de><ta
02-24-04, 08:50 PM
Online and second hand:D

Unless of course the game is really good.

PenguinJim
02-24-04, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
EB, currently known as Game until around 2005 where it becomes EB again:screwy: Electronics Boutique UK purchased the Game chain of stores a while back (here in the UK). Then they changed all EBs to Game, because otherwise they had to pay a lil' bit to EB America (or whatever) each time they sold a game. It was probably less than a cent per title, but by converting their stores to Games instead of Electronics Boutiques, they are saving a fair bit of money per year.

The funny thing is, here in Plymouth we used to have a small EB and a big Game. Now we have a small Game and a big Game. Now THAT is WHACK:p .

(Although I browse both of them regularly! Well, about as often as I visit RL ;))

stncttr908
02-24-04, 10:36 PM
Let's just say I answered honestly.

Clay
02-24-04, 10:40 PM
EB in the mall usually (I have an "Edge" card and get the used games for cheap) :p Also, gogamer.com has great buys sometimes and their "48-hour Madness" sales are good.

saturnotaku
02-24-04, 11:10 PM
Ah, the Edge card. It's more than paid for itself for me. It's great to go in w/a friend when they have their buy more, save more deals. Or if I go in on my own - got four pre-owned GBA games and saved 30% on each. $18 compared to $26 is a huge difference. :)

Clay
02-24-04, 11:19 PM
Yep. I traded in three of my old XBOX games and got a used copy of KotoR for like $3 after it was all said and done. :p Ugh, XBOX...I have to force myself to play it...PCs are where it's at. :afro:

Edge
02-25-04, 12:47 AM
Buy games? What's that :p

Seriously though, I get almost all my games for cheap when they go on clearence at the big stores like Bestbuy, Target, and Shopko. I rarely buy games right when they come out anymore. But I do pick up a few deals from EB and Gamestop, especially when they have their buy-2-get-1-free deal, or their 30% off Dreamcast stuff clearance that I took advantage of a few months ago.

BTW, what is this Edge card? What kind of deals can you get at EB with it? The sound of it intruiges me...not to mention it would be pretty appropriate for me ;)

Clay
02-25-04, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Buy games? What's that :p

Seriously though, I get almost all my games for cheap when they go on clearence at the big stores like Bestbuy, Target, and Shopko. I rarely buy games right when they come out anymore. But I do pick up a few deals from EB and Gamestop, especially when they have their buy-2-get-1-free deal, or their 30% off Dreamcast stuff clearance that I took advantage of a few months ago.

BTW, what is this Edge card? What kind of deals can you get at EB with it? The sound of it intruiges me...not to mention it would be pretty appropriate for me ;) The "Edge" card (no, not your driver's licence) :p is a card you get for like $10 if I remember right. Anyway, once you have it, it is good for life. You get an extra 10% off any used games PC or console....Doesn't sound like a whole lot but it does add up. Plus, I think it helps them "trust" you more when you go to return something. They're always good about returns but are even more "at ease" when you whip out/mention your "Edge" card. :D

UDawg
02-25-04, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
EB.. they usually have the best prices and I can trade older games in :)

What he said. Trading in the games is so cool, sure you don't get the best deal but if you get 20$ back out of a game you will never play again then I am happy.

The guys at the local EB know very little about puters but are very cool and willing to learn. They have a really cool manager so I like spending my money there.

Sazar
02-25-04, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by UDawg
What he said. Trading in the games is so cool, sure you don't get the best deal but if you get 20$ back out of a game you will never play again then I am happy.

The guys at the local EB know very little about puters but are very cool and willing to learn. They have a really cool manager so I like spending my money there.

I am lucky... I have 3 eb's within 10miles :D

and all of them have very good kids in them... they all know about the games and the one closest to me has a MASSIVE range of used games :D

nothing like getting a whole bunch of barely 1 month old games for ultra cheapies :D

Edge
02-25-04, 02:56 AM
Wait, the Edge card is good for LIFE? Wow, I thought it was only for like a year...I'm definatly going to have to check that out then, I'm sure I've bought over $100 in used stuff from there already :p

Doesn't that $10 also come with a 1 year magazine subscription or something? I think I remember one of the EB employees telling me about a subscription to GMR and a discount card that must've been the Edge card.

Clay
02-25-04, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Wait, the Edge card is good for LIFE? Wow, I thought it was only for like a year...I'm definatly going to have to check that out then, I'm sure I've bought over $100 in used stuff from there already :p

Doesn't that $10 also come with a 1 year magazine subscription or something? I think I remember one of the EB employees telling me about a subscription to GMR and a discount card that must've been the Edge card. Well the dood told me "for life", but you could be right about one year. Yeah, GMR...hehehe...I only received about two issues but no worries cause I never missed it. It's crap-a-rific! Let's just say that it's no CPU Magazine. :p

S.I.N
02-25-04, 10:25 AM
I only buy from 3 spots.

Amazon.com-Free shippping and they always have a bargain along with almost every game ever made..
ebgames.com/The EB store-Great for trades
gogamer.com-You wont find a cheaper spot on the net.

sytaylor
02-25-04, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's messed up. But so far I'm glad to see that so many of you are supporting the independent shops. :cool:

A multi national chain is far from indie. You want one of those kickass one off stores like the one not too far from where I work, they have all kinds of random foreign games, classic systems as well as all the new stuff at great prices.

I tend to get a game online from the cheapest place, or in retail if im wandering around with nothing to do. There needs to be an option for "All of the above"

theultimo
02-25-04, 12:23 PM
Gamestop/EB is too far from my house, so its usually wal-mart/online at amazon.com for me :\

Other then that, demo freak :nana:

EDIT: ?? wow, censorship surprises me..

Smokey
02-25-04, 01:07 PM
When I lived in the UK, I bought all my games from EB in Oxford street, since moving to France, I order all my games from www.gameplay.com in the UK.

saturnotaku
02-25-04, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by sytaylor
A multi national chain is far from indie. You want one of those kickass one off stores like the one not too far from where I work, they have all kinds of random foreign games, classic systems as well as all the new stuff at great prices.

We have those kinds of shops around here, but the problem is they're waaaaaaay overpriced on most things. Knowing some EB managers really helps when you're looking for some hard-to-find stuff. :D

BTW, the Edge card is only good for 10 months at a time. That's the only thing I don't like about it. At least give me a full year for my $10. :rolleyes:

Clay
02-25-04, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
BTW, the Edge card is only good for 10 months at a time. That's the only thing I don't like about it. At least give me a full year for my $10. :rolleyes: Dang, I knew that I shouldn't have taken what that dood told me for fact...prolly in the fine print somewhere "...and the fine print taketh away" :p
Yeah, 10 months is lame...last Edge card for me most likely. Gogamer.com baby!!!

Riptide
02-25-04, 06:08 PM
I used to preorder from gamestop. I will no longer do this since it's such a waste of time. The local software etc/gamestop usually has the games just as quick as I'd get them via the website.