PDA

View Full Version : Should you upgrade your video card?

bpt8056
02-24-04, 11:10 PM
According to Anand over at anandtech.com, it would be a wise decision to hold off until the new GPUs arrive. He dropped a single teaser line:

I would strongly recommend against buying an expensive video card before April/May.

In response to some comments, he replied:

We're finally getting the cards that are made to run Doom3 and HL2. It's not a PCI Express thing, it's a "damn these GPUs are powerful" thing.

Just thought I would give you a heads up in case some of you were thinking about upgrading soon.

EMunEeE
02-24-04, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by bpt8056
According to Anand over at anandtech.com, it would be a wise decision to hold off until the new GPUs arrive. He dropped a single teaser line:

I would strongly recommend against buying an expensive video card before April/May.

In response to some comments, he replied:

We're finally getting the cards that are made to run Doom3 and HL2. It's not a PCI Express thing, it's a "damn these GPUs are powerful" thing.

Just thought I would give you a heads up in case some of you were thinking about upgrading soon.

Yea I'd be foolish to upgrade now. Wait for the new stuff! :)

Sazar
02-24-04, 11:37 PM
wow... anand is so clever...

/me stops doing his own recommending for upgrade till nv40/r420 are established...

nooo... I must now say anand said it on this fine day 2 months after everyone else started saying it....

btw I'm kidding :D

Clay
02-24-04, 11:49 PM
One thing people should acknowledge is that different people have different goals. Some people are loaded and want to take the latest cards out "today" and tweak/oc them as much as they can. Granted, they're not the majority I'm sure, but there are people like that.

Gator
02-25-04, 05:55 AM
Well Anandtech isn't saying anything most of us havent already said, although I see another side to this I've mentioned before as well... If you're still struggling with anything less than a GF3TI, it's probably time to upgrade. You can't tell people to wait forever if they're unhappy with performance now, or else we'd all be in a perpetual state of waiting on new hardware because there is always something better tomorrow and prices will only continue to go down, etc.

GF3TI should be considered the bare bare minimum for todays games, and even then you may be limited to 800x600 or less depending on the game and hardware specs. Doom3 and HL2 will raise that minimum again making GF3TI officially obsolete, but point being if you need to upgrade now an overclocked FX5700NU or higher should be able to handle the latest and greatest tomorrow without issue. The ultra super new cards are more for gamer elites who can afford to spend the money and feel 1600x1200 (or hgiher) with maxed AA/AF is essential to playing even the simplest games :rolleyes:

SnakeEyes
02-25-04, 10:01 AM
Well, I fall into that last group Gator, so I resent that statement. I mean, my 9700Pro won't run Solitaire at that resolution with AA/AF, and as far as I know, none of the other high end cards right now can either. (kngt)

So I definitely need an nv40 or r420 and soon! :rofl

zoomy942
02-25-04, 10:54 AM
yeah, i tried to play frogger but i just couldnt run it well with my 5700NU!! haha. i think the high end cards are for people who have the money to soen, and thats why the midrange is where the money is at. i will jump on board the new cards when they have a mid-range-ultra. i can by the non ultra, save $50 to $100 and overclock it and have the ultra!

Gator
02-25-04, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Well, I fall into that last group Gator, so I resent that statement. I mean, my 9700Pro won't run Solitaire at that resolution with AA/AF, and as far as I know, none of the other high end cards right now can either. (kngt)

Oh Snakey you elitest :p Tell ya what gimmy a winning lotto ticket and I'll gladly pick myself up an R9800XT 256DDR & a fast Athlon64 while I'm at it :afro2:

Zarich
02-25-04, 11:46 AM
The problem is this.. first off there are no pci express systems available.. so you have to wait for those.. then wait for faster procs that take advantage of the new bus systems. Then wait for the video cards that take advantage of those. And when you are done with that you can wait because yet another new tech is around the corner.

Thats right.. its the same waiting game as last year and the year before.. please continue to wait.. Those who decided to wait last year for new tech are being told to wait again.. and guess what.. they will be told to wait again.. it never ends.

Malfunction
02-25-04, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Zarich
The problem is this.. first off there are no pci express systems available.. so you have to wait for those.. then wait for faster procs that take advantage of the new bus systems. Then wait for the video cards that take advantage of those. And when you are done with that you can wait because yet another new tech is around the corner.

Thats right.. its the same waiting game as last year and the year before.. please continue to wait.. Those who decided to wait last year for new tech are being told to wait again.. and guess what.. they will be told to wait again.. it never ends.

It primarily depends on where in the food chain your system currently is, whether you overclock or not and then there is your budget. :) What I like to do and typically advise others is in order to build big, you need a solid foundation. Start with the mobo (support goes a long way with a quality mobo), memory (saves yourself alot of headaches later on) and then cpu.

A solid mobo and memory are something that typically is not swapped out every three months or greater. So very high quatlity/full featured mobo is most important to longevity. High quality memory is also very important imho if you want to maximize the most out of you system. Lowest timmings are keys when overclocking and not overclocking.

CPU's change almost as often as videocards do. So after you've built the foundation for success, you get the fastest CPU you can afford under your budget. Then you can continue to update as necessary from that point on. :)

The rest is easy. :D Typically things that you don't swap out within 3 to 6 moths are monitors, hard drives, keyboards, mice, controllers... etc. The HD performance and quality is just as vital, however I believe if you consider budget and your dollar per gigabyte you are willing to spend, you not gonna really make too much of a mistake if you come up short. Great thing is you can always add storage.

If you make purchase on a whim, it becomes overwhelming pretty quickly. If you got a plan of attack, things work out a lot better for ya.

That's my $0.02...

Peace,

:afro:

Zarich
02-25-04, 12:15 PM
Its just that when you are sitting on a crappy a7v133 with a 1.2ghz proc, 512k of pc133 and a ti500 and you can't play modern games well.. it is frustrating to once again read.. wait.. new tech around the corner!!

Malfunction
02-25-04, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Zarich
Its just that when you are sitting on a crappy a7v133 with a 1.2ghz proc, 512k of pc133 and a ti500 and you can't play modern games well.. it is frustrating to once again read.. wait.. new tech around the corner!!

Your videocard is still quite capable. I would work on that mobo/memory first. By the time you have the funds to consider a videocard, prices will have dropped on what was once fairly high priced.

Peace,

:afro:

Kev1
02-25-04, 12:28 PM
NV40 and R420 might come out in may, but they won't be anywhere near affordable till the end of 2004.

As for playing Doom3, I am sure the GFFX 5700 on up, and the Radeon 9600 and 9800 series will play it just fine, with most if not all settings maxed at 1024 x 768.

If your running anything less than a GF4 Ti series, I think upgrading now to a 5900 or 9800 is great idea, particularly since both are around the $200 dollar mark.

If you wait till may to get NV40 or R420, you'll be spending $400 to $500 dollars :eek: Thats insane to me. Even if I had the money (I dont), I would not ever spend more than $200 dollars for a video card.

Unless, of course, I was forced to by our corporate overlords, which seems a possibility for the future given our countries current direction :rolleyes:

SnakeEyes
02-25-04, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Gator
Oh Snakey you elitest..
Who, me?:cool2: :rofl

..:p Tell ya what gimmy a winning lotto ticket and I'll gladly pick myself up an R9800XT 256DDR & a fast Athlon64 while I'm at it :afro2:
You and me both. You know I'm getting ready to move soon, so I can't afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest for a while now either, regardless of what crappy settings I have to use in solitaire. ;)

Cotita
02-25-04, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

I'm more a fan of Spider and Freecell, and my latest setup still gives me close to 60fps even with 8xAA/8xAniso. But I know Solitaire demands much more GPU power so getting a NV40 will probably make it play better.

:P

Clay
02-25-04, 02:26 PM
You guys wanna really stress those uber cards? Check out Hardwood Solitaire (http://www.hardwoodsolitaire.com/). It acutally requires some DX stuff for certain options I think. :D

theultimo
02-25-04, 02:51 PM
Remember when the FX 5800 - midranges were coming out? Remember when we said "wait until the FX series comes out, it will be superior to the GF4 series.."

Hopefully that won't happen again.....

But my favorite stress-testing game is "what the heck are you doing?" type computer help, where someone I know had literaly put a pci card into an agp slot and complained that it didn't work properly, and was smoking :rw:

SnakeEyes
02-25-04, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by theultimo
Remember when the FX 5800 - midranges were coming out? Remember when we said "wait until the FX series comes out, it will be superior to the GF4 series.."

Hopefully that won't happen again.....

But my favorite stress-testing game is "what the heck are you doing?" type computer help, where someone I know had literaly put a pci card into an agp slot and complained that it didn't work properly, and was smoking :rw: :eek:

zoomy942
02-27-04, 07:51 AM
i think a new video card for you would be a 5700 or something midrange. you just need to get my until the nv40 have midrange cards