PDA

View Full Version : emachine?

Pages : [1] 2

anzak
02-25-04, 01:04 AM
Bought a new PC today at Best Buy. And the best part is that it's an emachine! Anyways, the reason I lowered my self to buying an emachine is because of the price.

Nforce 2
Athlon XP 3000+
512MB DDR333
160GB 7200RPM
Geforce 4 MX 440 integrated video
16x DVD ROM
48x CDRW

Price: $642.03 with tax!

The only draw backs so far is the 350watt PS which I will later upgrade to 430watt later and the integrated video. Even though the integrated video is much faster than what I had before *points to sig* im still shoping for a video card (Yes it does have an 8x AGP). Right now I have my eyes set on the Geforce FX 5900 XT, The best mid range card IMO. So, should I wait for the NV40 and R420 or buy the 5900 XT?

Sazar
02-25-04, 01:19 AM
I would say wait... the 5900xt is no great shakes anyways...

Edge
02-25-04, 02:59 AM
Yeah, while the computers you buy in stores are usually a bit more low-end than building one yourself, they're usually pretty cheap if you can get rebates and stuff.

Well, if you can hold out for around 4-6 months, I'd say wait for the next generation of cards to come out before buying a new one. The GF4mx will just BARELY work for most games, and a few that require pixel shaders won't work at all (Prince of Persia: SOT and DX:IW). But you should be able to get a better deal in a few months than you could now. Still, an FX5900 nu/xt/se is still a very good buy, and should last you a good long while. But I think getting a 9800pro in a few months for $150 would be a much better deal ;)

-=DVS=-
02-25-04, 04:00 AM
Better question can you afford new R420 or NV40 when they out ? :confused: its gonna be like 500$ :eek:

If you can't , no need to wait can buy whatever now........

Edge
02-25-04, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Better question can you afford new R420 or NV40 when they out ? :confused: its gonna be like 500$ :eek:

Well, that's why you buy the mid-ranged card when they come out ;)

*prays for another 9500*

Gator
02-25-04, 06:48 AM
Just a warning: Emachine is regarded as one of the worst computers you can buy today. They are the modern day Packard Bell. The specs may look good, but the components they use tend to break down quickly, particularly their power supplies. And of course they use propritary PSU's so it's tough to track down new ones. If you couldn't afford or lack the skills to build yoru own rig, I'd have rather seen you buy HP or Dell. Both of them of have decent warranties at least where you can actually get someone on the phone from Tech Support.

And I agree with what others said, if you're on a tight budget then I see no reason for you to wait on a video card upgrade since you wouldn't be able to afford the NV40 or R420 anyway. Get yourself a cheap FX5900 NU/XT/SE, or no less than an FX5700NU (and overclock the hell out of it)

NickSpolec
02-25-04, 10:16 AM
Eh...

You could have built your own, paid about the same price, and actually got a better machine. The ram they gave you is probably cas 3 sh[b]i]/b]te.

I will never buy an OEM system. I like to be selective in choosing my hardware, ensuring the best quality.

jAkUp
02-25-04, 11:13 AM
Not to bring you down or anything, but you could have build a much better system for around the same price...

1x Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive-> $54
1x Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM-> $125
2x 256mb Corsair XMS 333 (512mb)-> $132
ABIT nForce2 NF7-> $71.99
AMD Athlon XP 3000-> $167.00
ENERMAX Black ATX Mid 350w-> $49.00
Total-> $598.99

Tax would be about another $40

Granted, it has no video card, but a G4mx is practically no video card anyways :D But I quoted here Corsair memory, a WD hard drive, a Liteon drive, enermax PSU & case, and an ABIT NF7. All very high quality components.

And all the prices are from newegg. You could probabaly find an even better deal by just shopping around.

Sazar
02-25-04, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
Not to bring you down or anything, but you could have build a much better system for around the same price...

1x Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive-> $54
1x Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM-> $125
2x 256mb Corsair XMS 333 (512mb)-> $132
ABIT nForce2 NF7-> $71.99
AMD Athlon XP 3000-> $167.00
ENERMAX Black ATX Mid 350w-> $49.00
Total-> $598.99

Tax would be about another $40

Granted, it has no video card, but a G4mx is practically no video card anyways :D But I quoted here Corsair memory, a WD hard drive, a Liteon drive, enermax PSU & case, and an ABIT NF7. All very high quality components.

And all the prices are from newegg. You could probabaly find an even better deal by just shopping around.

you also have to include the cost of software and tech support to the final price jakup to make it an even comparison... :)

aznak is getting both LEGIT :cool:

jAkUp
02-25-04, 11:19 AM
emachines tech support? Thats the last place i would go for advise :) But ok... yes your getting a legit winxp.. but thats it:)

Sazar
02-25-04, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
emachines tech support? Thats the last place i would go for advise :) But ok... yes your getting a legit winxp.. but thats it:)

:D

anzak
02-25-04, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Well, that's why you buy the mid-ranged card when they come out ;)

*prays for another 9500*

Yeah, I would not buy the NV40 or R420 but rather the midrange cards of that generation. Iím happy with it so far and the PSU is not a problem since im buying a better one anyways. It came with an official windows XP disk instead of just a restore disk like other OEM sellers provide. The Nforce 2 integrated graphics are not as bad as you might think. Halo never falls below 35 fps at 800x600 medium detail and the painkiller demo runs smooth with everything maxed at 1024x768. Overall I got a great deal, now all I need is a good PSU and a video card.

zoomy942
02-25-04, 11:51 AM
who neds emachines tech support when you have nvnews forums?!?! and i think, of course, that you should have buitl one yourself, and put a 5200 or a 5700 in it to get you buy until the new cards come out, and this way, you video card will be okay for a little while in case you need to save up for one of the new ones.

anzak
02-25-04, 11:55 AM
I knew that I would be flamed for buying an emachine (and for a good reason). Anyways, what brand of power supply would you recommend?

Gator
02-25-04, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by anzak
I knew that I would be flamed for buying an emachine (and for a good reason). Anyways, what brand of power supply would you recommend?

Emachine often uses a propritary sized powersupply, you'll need to check yours out and compare with a standard ATX PSU before you can simply buy a new one

I recommend Enermax or Antec

Malfunction
02-25-04, 12:05 PM

Can you not just return it and build your own with all of our help here? I mean, there is so much help here I believe it blows most (if not every) OEM tech support around out of the water. :thumbsup:

I'd really consider it, I mean... most places have a 14 day no questions asked return policy.

Peace,

:afro:

zoomy942
02-25-04, 12:07 PM
i agree with malfunction. there are so many people that help here its crazy. i dont even search google for answers when i need them. i just come here

walkndude
02-25-04, 03:07 PM
Did this guy ask for advice about a video card or for people to hit him over the head about his new system? Seems he allready understands e-machines doesnt have the greatest rep around and if you think oems like dell, compaq or gateway are using components of any higher quality you are seriously mistaken. 642 is a bargain for that setup, you don't have to sweat it anyways for the fact of BB's return policy...

If I had an extra 3000+/nf2/512- 333 the LAST thing in the world I would do is game on it with an mx440 one second longer than absolutely necessary. That would be a waste. Don't forget anzak, most of the peple around here are using a minimum of a 9500 series card -its easy to recommend the waiting game when your in that position.

Be smart, pickup up a 9600xt/5900xt or nu and have some fun with your new rig... Its gonna be awhile till the next-gen card are actually in retail channels and if you decide at that time you want one(and you've got the jack :)) sell your card on e-bay, this forum , a friend or relative.

gameve.com has a chaintech vivo 5900nu(true 400/850) card for 183/free shipping or a gigabyte 9600xt for 153/free shipping as well. There have been some people around here that have "heard" bad things about this reseller and have been warning against ordering from them but all I can say to that is I've used them a totall of 14 times and never had the slightest problem. resellerratings.com is your friend and I would recommend visiting there and reading the comments about any site you are thinking about ordering from(except newegg -those guys are golden).

If you do decide to grab another card dont forget to come back and let us know how its going.

Malfunction
02-25-04, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by walkndude
Did this guy ask for advice about a video card or for people to hit him over the head about his new system? Seems he allready understands e-machines doesnt have the greatest rep around and if you think oems like dell, compaq or gateway are using components of any higher quality you are seriously mistaken. 642 is a bargain for that setup, you don't have to sweat it anyways for the fact of BB's return policy...

That is because a "quick fix" is typically emotionally driven and I have never known a "quick fix" to make a persons happiness last. I think that most would agree, that is why so many are willing to help. I don't believe anyone here wants this person to be unhappy at all, it's just advice and you can take it or leave it.

Peace,

walkndude
02-25-04, 03:28 PM
"it's just advice and you can take it or leave it."

Maybe you should take take your own then instead of defending it ?

Sorry but I'm so tired of this kind of childish behavior on these forums makes posting a chore... He didnt ask for your opinion but you decided to give it anyway without even commenting on his original thread -thats called thread crapping -I know its become the norm here for awhile but it doesnt make it right...

Oh well, sorry for side tracking anzack -good luck bro. I'll shut up now.

Cotita
02-25-04, 03:33 PM
I repair and service computers for a living and have repaired dozens of HPs and Dells (most of them use propietary Power supplies by the way) and from my experience brand pcs are much more expensive to repair.

Recently I went to an office to install a wireless network and I was impressed when I saw that they upgraded all ther HP pcs to e-machines and I even used a e-machines laptop which has an Athlonxp 2400+ to test the network.

The laptop is very fast, has widescreen lcd, 512mb ram and ATI graphics.

By the way it also seemed to have an ATI mobo. I don't know how much it cost but a guy told me it was almost half of an equivalent sony vaio.

The person in charge told me they've had no problems with the e-machines pcs whatsoever.

Malfunction
02-25-04, 05:01 PM
"it's just advice and you can take it or leave it."

Maybe you should take take your own then instead of defending it ?

Sorry but I'm so tired of this kind of childish behavior on these forums makes posting a chore... He didnt ask for your opinion but you decided to give it anyway without even commenting on his original thread -thats called thread crapping -I know its become the norm here for awhile but it doesnt make it right...

Oh well, sorry for side tracking anzack -good luck bro. I'll shut up now.

Ummm... I wasn't the only one so if you would like to single me out, so be it. Does it eat me up like it appears to eat you up, no... it doesn't affect me. I find it amazing that quite a lot of people in the forums due offer rediculous short term solutions that typically back fire in a matter of a few weeks.

If you have a problem with that, don't worry about the advice given here. If you do, be sensible and calm... lol.

Peace,

anzak
02-25-04, 05:11 PM
Did this guy ask for advice about a video card or for people to hit him over the head about his new system?

Thank you!

Yes I do know that e-machines has a crapy rep for building cheap-o celeron PCs. But with these specs I could not pass it up. After getting home from school today I poped open the case and to my suprise everything was nicely tucked back and easly visible. Also, it has crucial memory the same brand I have used for years. Im happy and that's all that matters right?

Sazar
02-25-04, 05:49 PM
Thank you!

Yes I do know that e-machines has a crapy rep for building cheap-o celeron PCs. But with these specs I could not pass it up. After getting home from school today I poped open the case and to my suprise everything was nicely tucked back and easly visible. Also, it has crucial memory the same brand I have used for years. Im happy and that's all that matters right?

well I spose the first few posts stand :)

wait for the new cards to drop and the older cards prices to go down after that...

walkndude
02-25-04, 08:45 PM
I didnt single you out malfuntion, I made a general statement about ALL the comments up to my own and YOU SINGLED YOURSELF OUT.

"but, but they were doing it too"...

Grow up.

If you want to continue this farse pm me and leave this poor guys thread alone allready.(just dont count on a reply)

btw anzak, the ignore button can be an important tool around here at times :)