PDA

View Full Version : GeForce vs ePSXe emulator vs TV-out

ragejg
10-04-02, 07:51 AM
I got really giddy LAST YEAR when I purchased an eVGA GF2/MX400 w/tvout. Bought it FOR the tv-out, and used the ePSXe Playstation emulator with my Satek p750 controller. GOOD TIMES!! On the tv, 800x600was all that was needed for "enhanced" gameplay at a steady 59fps. I bought a GF3ti200 in the spring, and set up ePSXe the same way. IT WAS SLOWER (32-45fps)!! I abandoned ePSXe 1.5.2 after that. Well, Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and Fear Effect 2 Retro Helix are getting dusty now, and I'm going to try the program one more time with my GF4ti4200/128. If there's no improvement or another decrease I'm going to be angry... very angry that a GF2 whupped on a 3 & 4. I know there's snazzier things out there, but GT2 looks absolutely great on a 27" tv @ 8x6 with smoothing enabled.

...and I wanna play PS1 fighting games still...

Anybody know of special tweaks or preferred settings for this program, or any other emulator that runs Pete's PS drivers?

Or is this a lost art?

StealthHawk
10-04-02, 06:26 PM
were you using Pete's OGL drivers? ePSXe should run fine with a GF4, i have quality turned up via the render plugin with FSAA on using a GF3 and it ran fine.

OliverRedfox
10-04-02, 08:58 PM
You should try either P.E.Op.S. GPU (which is the open source continuation of Pete's GPU) or Nikk's Next3d (http://nextgl.ngemu.com/) (it suppose to use hardware T&L features to help speed things up)

ragejg
10-07-02, 03:52 PM
Tried ePSXe w/ my 4200. Ran fine, with almost everything turned up. Got a dip to 35fps once every 1.5 minutes or so, however. I blame it on either the DMA mode of my dvd drive, the fact that I didn't slow the spindle speed down, or the fact that my 5400rpm/512k cache HD can't handle buffer transfers...

I'm at least fairly satisfied. GT2 looks so nice!

StealthHawk
10-08-02, 05:53 AM
try making an ISO and running off of that. should clear up any drive issues