PDA

View Full Version : Just some advice

zoomy942
02-26-04, 09:11 AM
i have been struggling for weeks trying to find the instability in my overclocked system. well, well, well. after lots of reboots or crashes or just frustrating moments.... it is the AGP slot being overclocked to 90 mhz. i have it at 80 and things are better. just wanted to let poeple know.

by the way, i have ehr up to 2.430 ghz and she is trucking along, its in my signature file.

Ady
02-26-04, 09:34 AM
Does overclocking your AGP slot really increase frame rates at all?

saturnotaku
02-26-04, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Ady
Does overclocking your AGP slot really increase frame rates at all?

I've wondered about that myself. :confused:

Gator
02-26-04, 11:22 AM
zoomy i wish i had known u were having problems, i'd have told u right away not to mess with the agp or pci speeds. I dont even think 80mhz is a good idea, u should leave those two settings at default.

zoomy942
02-26-04, 12:04 PM
to answer the question about whether or not it increased frame rates... i am going to check that when i get home at lunch today and i'll let everyone know. but i will say that putting it at 93 or 95 mhz made the FPS slow to a crawl! and gator, i wish i would have spoken up sooner. it was driving me nutty! i thought it was cause i have my cpu and RAM overclcoked so much, so i moved them back to defaults and it still was being weird. once i started playing with the agp and lowering it from the 90 mhz and 93 mhz that i had it at, it was all good.

fivefeet8
02-26-04, 12:35 PM
Increasing the agp bus speed does little if anything to performance. Mostly, it just makes the system unstable. Same thing with an overclocked PCI bus.

saturnotaku
02-26-04, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by fivefeet8
Same thing with an overclocked PCI bus.

Well, they're pretty much the same thing. Just the AGP bus runs 2x as fast. So having the AGP at 80 MHz means the PCI is going at 40. ;)

It's nice when board makers like Abit put the option in the BIOS to lock the AGP/PCI buses at 66/33. Makes life oh so much better for overclocking. :D

Rytr
02-26-04, 12:46 PM
AGP and PCI buses cause instability when overclocking. AGP is best kept at 66MHz and PCI at 33MHz for most systems. That is why a lock for the AGP and PCI is desireable. It varies but generally AGP starts causing instability around 74MHz on most boards and about 39MHz on the PCI. I have heard of losing PCI cards when overclocked too far and I imagine the same holds true for AGP.

Gator
02-26-04, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Rytr
AGP and PCI buses cause instability when overclocking. AGP is best kept at 66MHz and PCI at 33MHz for most systems. That is why a lock for the AGP and PCI is desireable. It varies but generally AGP starts causing instability around 74MHz on most boards and about 39MHz on the PCI. I have heard of losing PCI cards when overclocked too far and I imagine the same holds true for AGP.

Exactly! You are welcome to adjust the bus speed (FSB) on the CPU and memory all you want, but keep the PCI and AGP speeds at default if possible! 33mhz PCI, 66mhz AGP

otherwise you could actually cause damage to your hardware, or lose data because the PCI speed would be too fast for the IDE controller (so I've read)

zoomy942
02-26-04, 02:29 PM
well, the verdict is on. i went home at lunch to try out a few benchies with different AGP speeds, i dont knwo why i didnt do this in the first place. well.... it turns out that not only was i getting instabilities, but it was taking about 100 points away in my 3dmark01 score. i dropped the AGP speed to AUTO and my score jumped up 80 points. so, there you have it folks. overclocking the AGP slot is not a good idea.

PoorGuy
02-26-04, 02:48 PM
No point in overclocking the AGP/PCI speeds. Just another gimmick for overclocking options in the bios in my opinion.

zoomy942
02-26-04, 02:59 PM
i thought it would be great, but it shows that its not worth it.

Edge
02-26-04, 03:28 PM
AGP bus speed is only really important if a large amount of information has to be sent between the system and the videocard, but since that has almost no affect on actual framerates overclocking it won't help. It may be noticable if it's using the AGP Arpature to store textures or something, but otherwise there will be virtually no performance gain. Hell, there's barely a difference between AGP 2x and AGP 8x, let alone from overclocking it.

zoomy942
02-26-04, 03:35 PM
whats funny is that i know that our AGP busses arent even using the full bandwidth that is available. so what was i thinking when i decided that my agp slot needed more speed??? WHO KNOWS!

theultimo
02-26-04, 04:22 PM
Doesn't Far Cry use like 200+ MB or something on high detail though?

jAkUp
02-27-04, 01:21 AM
Yea, you will just get instabality.. just set it to fixed. Usually the auto setting overclocks it also, if you are oc'ing your fsb. Thats why the fixed option is the best to chose.

SnakeEyes
02-27-04, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Gator
Exactly! You are welcome to adjust the bus speed (FSB) on the CPU and memory all you want, but keep the PCI and AGP speeds at default if possible! 33mhz PCI, 66mhz AGP

otherwise you could actually cause damage to your hardware, or lose data because the PCI speed would be too fast for the IDE controller (so I've read)
Speaking from experience with data corruption over time, I agree. It's very annoying when Windows system files start to become corrupted, causing crashes and then presenting ugly blue screens when trying to reboot.. :p

zoomy942
02-27-04, 09:19 AM
this is why the nvnews forums are so d*mn useful! if i would have asked the agp question here, ui would have know to leave it alone. you guys rock