PDA

View Full Version : BFG 5600 Ultra will only work with AGP 4X

rockon1
02-27-04, 12:14 AM
I've tried this on two different computers, one in a DFI nforce2 Landparty, the other is a Gigabyte sis748 chipset. Both will not even display at 8x mode but can get them to display at 4x. Any ideas? Called BFG tech support but they were no help, they said call the motherboard maker, but two boards not working? And both boards work fine with an ATI 9500 Pro. Any Ideas to try?

Thanks

jAkUp
02-27-04, 12:19 AM
Hmmm.. maybe latest bios for video card? Other than that, im not sure.. your not missing much though at 4x instead of 8x

rockon1
02-27-04, 12:28 AM
Bfg said they don't make new bioses for there cards and if you used a 3rd party bios it would void your warranty. And I know there's not much differance,but it bugs me. ( I really can't complain much because I won it in a Nvidia contest a few months back) But still, hehe

saturnotaku
02-27-04, 06:33 AM
Have you tried forcing AGP 8x in the motherboard BIOS?

stncttr908
02-27-04, 06:42 AM
Are fastwrites enabled in your board BIOS? Try disabling that and see if it works. If it were up to me, I'd rather have AGP 4X and fastwrites enabled than have 8X without it.

rockon1
02-27-04, 08:22 AM
saturnotaku

Yea I've tried setting it to auto and 8x. I have to set it to 4x to get it to work

stncttr908

Fastwrites is not availble on the gigabyte board .

Gator
02-27-04, 08:44 AM
it's gotta be something wrong with the card, the Nforce2 and SIS748 are totally different chipsets! Can you insist on an RMA? Not sure if that'd be the answer, but I know both those chipsets are more than capable of AGP8x, and you said yourself they work fine with an R9500. You need to tell BFG this too.

Technically, the difference between AGP4x and 8x is hardly noticable anyway, but you paid for an 8x card and so I sympathize that you're entitled to it.

If you play your cards right (no pun intended), maybe you could sucker an FX5700 out of BFG instead... heh heh ;)

rockon1
02-27-04, 09:38 AM
"but you paid for an 8x card and so I sympathize that you're entitled to it."

actually I won it from nvidia so don't feel to bad for me,hehehe
but still would be nice to work like it should.

Gator
02-27-04, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by rockon1
"but you paid for an 8x card and so I sympathize that you're entitled to it."

actually I won it from nvidia so don't feel to bad for me,hehehe
but still would be nice to work like it should.

Oh... well still it's the principle... insist BFG either replace it or give you a card comprable that will do agp8x on both boards... aka FX5700 ;)

theultimo
02-27-04, 01:13 PM
Small question: Did you set the ENABLE8X bit in the drivers? I had to set a ENABLEFW bit for it to work fast writes for me on 4x...

rockon1
02-28-04, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by theultimo
Small question: Did you set the ENABLE8X bit in the drivers? I had to set a ENABLEFW bit for it to work fast writes for me on 4x...

When set to 8x mode I can't get into the bios much less the drivers.