PDA

View Full Version : sorry for asking this

zoomy942
02-27-04, 11:26 AM
okay,. i knwo this question has been trown around TONS AND TONS of times, but i am looking for a future view.

my budget is limited, first off, and not by money, but by me knowing that more than $200 for a video card if something i can do. it just doesnt seem right. anyway.. i have that glorious 5700NU (which i OC'ed and i get ultra scores all the time) i am getting prepared for the release of doom3 and since i tried the far cry demo, it didnt run as smoothly as i would have liked. so here it is.. i can keep my awesome 5700, get a radeon 9800 regular and oveclock it or get a 5900 regular and overclock it. since i am all about doom3.. thoughts from the nvnews thinkers?

ATI radeon non pro price (http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=6263) 5900 *(non XT) its a regular 5900 (http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/productdetails.aspx?sku=VC-CHAIN-015)

zoomy942
02-27-04, 11:27 AM
there's 2 links they are just next to each otehr for the prices

jAkUp
02-27-04, 11:33 AM
Well.. at this point nobody really knows how either is supposed to perform in doom3... i would assume that the NV3X would, since its being tossed around like an inflatable doll.

For all games though, I would still go with the 9800NP, you can easily get pro speeds, you get the killer DX9 performance (that means you wont miss the PS2.0 settings in Far Cry, Far Cry defaults them off for nVidia cards) and you will get the better HL2 performance... if that ever comes out:D

zoomy942
02-27-04, 11:39 AM
so when i tried far cry, that performance is about what dx9 wil be on my card? wow, that sucks. but i am such a nvidia faithful. i hate to get something else. and since overclocking is my hobby, ati overclock okay?

Gator
02-27-04, 11:40 AM
FarCry demo is JUST a demo, there is no telling for sure how the full version may run on your FX5700NU. It also depends on just what settings you're using.

I think it would be foolish to upgrade now, wait and see how your overclock FX5700NU performs with the real FarCry and Doom3 first. If you are still dissatisfied by then, then upgrade.

R9800 vs FX5900... the games are pushing for NV cards, but the R9800 is a more powerful piece of hardware in general. It's really a coin toss or whichever company and driver package you prefer. But if Doom3 claims to be optimized for NV like they say, and you care so much about Doom3, then I guess FX5900

jAkUp
02-27-04, 11:42 AM
Yes the ATI overclocks are pretty good if you have good cooling..

But on your question about Far Cry, no its not representitive of DX9 performance. By default, Far Cry forces DX8 if you are using any nVidia card, on your 5700, it was running in DX8 mode. You lose about 15fps if you enable the DX9 features.

zoomy942
02-27-04, 11:44 AM
good call. i just was surprised about far cry. and halo doesnt run wonderfully either. i should just wait and i know it. i just hate having something run slow. it drives me nutty. i hope hope hope hope hope hope hope hope doom3 runs well. and ll that stuff about ps3.0 and shaders and junk like that. i dont care about that. like smooth game play.

Gator
02-27-04, 11:48 AM
I'm sure Doom3 will run fine on an FX5700, they cant expect everyone on to have an FX5900 and up... the FX5700 is considered mid-level so it should be fine

And Halo doesn't run well on any computer so don't start :p

zoomy942
02-27-04, 11:51 AM
thats funny gator. i havent played it much. it didnt do anything for me. okay.. i think waiting is a good idea. besides.. all the work i have put into this card and all the bragging i dump on this poor forum about how well it overclocks... it just wouldnt be right to get rid of her!

(i finally broke 4000 in 3dmark03! woohoo!)

Kev1
02-27-04, 02:16 PM
Halo runs kinda poorly on any computer. Doom3 is OpenGL, and 5700 or 5900 cards will run it great :thumbsup:

I too like Nvidia cards. They have worked well for me since my first TNT. The NV30 messup was not enough to make me switch. Also, the games I want to play most in future are Doom3 and Q4, so while ATI may be just fine for them, I'm sure Nvidia will be better :thumbsup:

Zoomy, you may want to try PainKiller demo. That game I believe is openGL, and its INTENSE :eek: If it runs good on your setup, and I'm sure it will, it probably indicates approximately what Doom3 will be like too.

Also, I enjoy reading your posts because you are very ethusiastic about Nvidia cards. I get tired of reading the flames of how "they suck", because they don't (bud)

zoomy942
02-27-04, 02:19 PM
hey kev, i loved bragging about nvidia. poepl say that the fx series isnt any good but remember... the frames per second are above 30 right? then who craes!! your eyes cant detect anymore than that anyway!

here at my base, people have been converting to ATI. what a sad thing. they are not the true nvidia fans. I talk to my wife about upgrades that i do (caue she doesnt know pc's and she has a veiw that isnt all in depth like me) and she says to just get what i think would be the fastest. she doesnt understand the loyalty to nvidia.

LONG LIVE NVIDIA!

Kev1
02-27-04, 02:22 PM
:thumbsup: :super: :nana: (salute)

ragejg
02-27-04, 04:33 PM
methinks the *get the 5900* idea is a good one, and I do feel that nv hardware at this time even will outperform ATI in Doom3...

BUT

The reservation for me is the burning *how will Ultrashadow be implemented, how will it help performance, and may it actually hurt performance with some cards?* question...

Cuz you do have an nv36 core there, Zoomy... That MAY turn out to be a great OpenGL/Ultrashadow card... (depending on if the speeds you have are fast enough to properly utilizing the feature without too much o a performance hit)

In my 5900 review last year, Iwas impressed even with the NV31's OpenGL rendering ability vs. NV35 (when given the right amount of memory bandwidth... I do believe NV36 fits somewhere between the two of those if put in the same equation... which bodes well for the card you have now.

... my (just got outta work, slightly brainspent) $0.02... :p

:)

zoomy942
02-27-04, 04:36 PM
thats a very good point. i think with the 5700, what kills me is the 128 bit memory bus. if only i had 256! maybe i should mod it.. haha. i think i should just hold onto it to see how things stack up when the time comes.

anzak
02-27-04, 04:38 PM
I agree, keep the card you have and wait for the next batch to come out. About the whole Nvidia vs. ATI thing, With todays games both (high-end and mid-range) cards are about on par with each other. In future games (as in far future) shaders might be more advanced and the ATI cards might be faster. But who cares! By that time the NV30 and R300 long forgotten by it's main users, the gamers.

zoomy942
02-27-04, 04:41 PM
i am geting all misty eyes thinking that iwas gonna sell my baby! what was i thinking!

ragejg
02-27-04, 05:01 PM
/ragejg greedily clutches his last remaining GF3, a Gainward Golden Sample 128mb ti/450...

... yeah, I know what you mean... (crazy)

zoomy942
02-28-04, 10:14 AM
in light on new developments, i think i can sell my 5700 for about $130 or $140 and i can get that 5900XT from xfx for $159! i think i am gonna try to do that

marqmajere
02-28-04, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
in light on new developments, i think i can sell my 5700 for about $130 or $140 and i can get that 5900XT from xfx for $159! i think i am gonna try to do that

So our deal making is done?

zoomy942
02-28-04, 10:06 PM
oh no. i havent decided what to do and i may be finding more money. i like your card much much better.

marqmajere
02-29-04, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by zoomy942
oh no. i havent decided what to do and i may be finding more money. i like your card much much better.

haha. I like my card very much as well. It runs great, and oc's pretty decent (for testing only ;) ). A warning though. If you have a 300w power supply, get a bigger one. I've had the "not enough juice" warning a couple of times when playing demanding games with all the specials turned on and a 300 isn't enough. :p