PDA

View Full Version : Finally back to nVidia - mostly happy!....a little perplexed?

XanderF
02-27-04, 11:02 AM
Well, finally got back to nVidia. Just bought a 5900XT. In short, I had utterly HAD IT with ATI's drivers. This particular realization came when I discovered that HALF of the games I have currently installed don't work with ATI's version of FSAA (Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, Sub Command, Fleet Command, Janes F/A-18, Grim Fandango, Longest Journey, Starfleet Command:OP, Tribes 2, etc.)

SO, now that I'm back on an nVidia card....*almost* all these problems are solved! (Using the 56.56 drivers) Everything works great now but 'Raven Shield'. I actually had a Ti4600-8x for a bit, there, and it worked great on 'Raven Shield', but the 5900XT is doing the same thing ATI did. FSAA works fine...until you get shot. When the blurring effect happened on the Ti4600, nothing does on the 5900XT. The screen just stops for a minute. When it comes back to responding, FSAA is off. (If you hop into another guy and HE gets shot, the blurring 'dizzy' effect works just fine now! But...FSAA is off)

So, that's one thing. Anyone know a solution to this? Other than that.....oh, I LOVE being back! I can't believe how blinded I was by ATI's performance (and my 9800 DID perform!). I kept excusing all kinds of driver problems and compatibility issues ("Oh, it's not that bad", "ATI has improved a LOT in drivers lately, this'll be fixed!", "ATI will add such-and-such feature some day, I'm sure - we just have to wait!", etc). I just love this 5900XT - it does everything I want and it does it RIGHT NOW.

And I REALLY, REALLY like the automatic-exe-detecting game profiles!

Anyway, secondly....my ram is weird. I think. I can overclock it to 800mhz (running 475/800 right now - not bad from a default 390/700), but not 1mhz more. At 800mhz, I can run it for hours with no artifacts of any kind...801mhz, and it fails nVidia's overclock test. Okay, fine, so let's force it, right? Use Rivatuner to set 801mhz....artifacts like MAD in 3d! Back down to 800....just fine.

I've never seen behavior like this, and I'm pretty sure it's a 2.2ns card (will check later today). VERY confusing! Would flashing this to a 5900Ultra help? I hear in various forums claims that doing so increases the voltages on the card (hard to believe from my ATI background - the voltage regulator was a completely seperate chip), which would solve my problem. Another possibility is that a flash would increase ram latency settings to increase the clock.

Thoughts?

Finally, anyone know where to buy a FlowFX cooler? The whole 'outside exhaust' thing of the FlowFX, Abit's OTES systems, and the VGA Silencer looks like a good idea to me.

Only thing is...the only commercially available one of these I've been able to find is the VGA Silencer - and that's only for ATI cards.

Is there any way to buy an outside-exhaust system for a GeForceFX card *like* the above mentioned systems? Maybe another product I'm not familiar with? Or just the FlowFX system sold seperately? (The noise I'm not so concerned with - I'm just as handy with a soldering iron as a screwdriver and it's no problem at all to put a rheobus on the line)

saturnotaku
02-27-04, 11:58 AM
On the memory overclocking thing, that's probably just the card you got. The BIOS flash probably isn't going to help you, especially since that will overclock your RAM to 475 MHz (950 DDR) - even with a voltage increase, the memory most likely won't be able to handle it. Overclockability is luck of the draw, nothing more. Some folks with 9800 Pro cards have been able to get to 430+ on their cores. Even with the VGA silencer I could only get mine up to 410. Oh well.

Speaking of the VGA silencer, the next revision supposedly will support the FX line. I don't know when it will be available, though.

Gator
02-27-04, 12:24 PM
overclockability on the ram is luck of the draw like Sat said

FlowFX... you donot want that it is noisy as hell

800mhz memory on a FX5900XT is good, accept it

PreservedSwine
02-27-04, 12:29 PM
And I REALLY, REALLY like the automatic-exe-detecting game profiles!

Out of your entire post, I found one thing I agree with:D

XanderF
02-28-04, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Gator
overclockability on the ram is luck of the draw like Sat said

FlowFX... you donot want that it is noisy as hell

800mhz memory on a FX5900XT is good, accept it

#1) I am well aware overclocking is the 'luck of the draw' - I've been doing so, volt-mods included, for many years now.

However, I've NEVER seen a part to date that could not budge 1mhz above it's rated stock speed.

Check out this document here (http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/pdf/dram/(1)HY5DU283222AF(Rev.0.3).pdf).

The chips I have on my card are HY5DU283222AF-25 - which you can see, looking at the chart on page 3, is rated to run at 800mhz. (Well, 400 DDR, but you get the picture).

That's ALL I can get out of it. 800mhz is 100% stable without an artifact for hours on end, 801mhz has artifacts all over the screen immediately.

It feels very, VERY much like a software (?BIOS?) limitation.

Also note that I was NOT going to flash the 5950 BIOS - never said I was. Not interested in living THAT dangerously. Just the 5900 Ultra - a more reasonable (you'd think) 900mhz.

#2) Yeah, I know the FlowFX is noisy. Hence my comments about putting a fan controller on it to slow it down and make it less so.

I actually have a Switftech MCW-50 block for it with the FX adapter kit. Only thing is, I'm happy with my CPU running 2.4 ghz right now (it won't go higher - 2415 is unstable)....I'm afraid adding this much heat to the loop might make it unstable at 2.4.

That, and I have to take the whole damn thing apart to put the adapter kit ON it (previously configured for my Radeon 9800).

So, I was looking for other good cooling alternatives.

astroguy
02-28-04, 03:26 AM
I had the same ati instability problem as you, glad that I don't have to deal with that with my geforcefx 5900

bkswaney
02-28-04, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by XanderF
#1) I am well aware overclocking is the 'luck of the draw' - I've been doing so, volt-mods included, for many years now.

However, I've NEVER seen a part to date that could not budge 1mhz above it's rated stock speed.

Check out this document here (http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/pdf/dram/(1)HY5DU283222AF(Rev.0.3).pdf).

The chips I have on my card are HY5DU283222AF-25 - which you can see, looking at the chart on page 3, is rated to run at 800mhz. (Well, 400 DDR, but you get the picture).

That's ALL I can get out of it. 800mhz is 100% stable without an artifact for hours on end, 801mhz has artifacts all over the screen immediately.

It feels very, VERY much like a software (?BIOS?) limitation.

Also note that I was NOT going to flash the 5950 BIOS - never said I was. Not interested in living THAT dangerously. Just the 5900 Ultra - a more reasonable (you'd think) 900mhz.

#2) Yeah, I know the FlowFX is noisy. Hence my comments about putting a fan controller on it to slow it down and make it less so.

I actually have a Switftech MCW-50 block for it with the FX adapter kit. Only thing is, I'm happy with my CPU running 2.4 ghz right now (it won't go higher - 2415 is unstable)....I'm afraid adding this much heat to the loop might make it unstable at 2.4.

That, and I have to take the whole damn thing apart to put the adapter kit ON it (previously configured for my Radeon 9800).

So, I was looking for other good cooling alternatives.

Your memory sounds like mine I have on my 9800.
I can run specs with it but 1 more Mhz hoses it. :(
Kinda sucks. I know the 5900u I had would run 1ghz.
It was factory set at 850. So I got a good oc on it.
But I saw a review today of an asus 5900u and it
had the same memory as the 5950. So no wonder
it oced so well. :)

Better cooling is a problem. I wanted something better for
my asus card and after looking for 2 months I gave up.
About all u can do is put on a Zalman with ramsinks.

Glad to hear u r happy with your new card.
U cannot beat nvidia drivers. People can say
what they want but u cannot beat them.
I'm always back and forth from nvidia to ati.
If u want stable and run about everything without
fixes and patches go nvidia.

I know if nvidia's new NV40 has better AA and
offers the same or better performance as the R420 I'll go back to nvidia.
Well, as long as the IQ is there. ;)