PDA

View Full Version : Problems after upgrading to Athlon 2800+ :(

Zeta
02-27-04, 06:56 PM
I have a Asus nforce2 motherboard. Two sticks of 256mb ram. WinXP pro with all updates. Everything was running GREAT when I had a Athlon 2000+. Today I put in a 2800+ (that is the only change I made at all) and my system is sooooo unstable. Windows is not crashing but any program I try to run crashes. 3Dmark03, counter-strike, even IE windows are closing. What could be causing this?? I thought it might be overheating but using PC probe its never getting above 110deg F. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can try please let me know. I am kinda desperate here.

Nutty
02-27-04, 07:02 PM
Hmmm.. dunno.. I get alot of IE crashes, and the occassional reboot. Though mem86 checks out fine, so I'm wondering if my cpu isn't liking the voltage I'm giving it.

Try knocking the vcore voltage up 1 notch, and see what happens. The Abit monitoring tool I have, always seems to report my core and DIMM voltages are slightly (0.02) under what they should be..

MUYA
02-27-04, 07:20 PM
You need to give a lil more information on your setup. Ie what fsb are u using, what multiplier settings, voltage for CPU, maybe Ram timings and speed etc. You have to check all of them ot make sure they are set right as it could be any of those that is causing you grief.

Zeta
02-27-04, 07:32 PM
Everything is on auto. FSB for CPU and Ram is now 166. The Ram has always been 166 but the FSB was 133 when the 2000+ was in. Multiplyer is at 12.5. The core voltage was at 1.65. I just bumped it to 1.7 after Nutty suggestion. I will have to go in and look at the exact Ram timings but its set to optimal and not aggessive. As I said the Ram has not been changed from the 2000+. Only the CPU was upgraded.

What are the chances the power supply is not handling the CPU? Its a 350W PS. I am runnig 2 hard drives, 1 cdrom and my GF 5700U on it. I do want to point out that windows is still running however. Just apps are crashing.

MUYA
02-27-04, 07:40 PM
Everything seems to be in the right order there mate but, it's still crashing apps. What apps may I ask? Games or even stuff like Office?

Was the 2000+ a 166mhz fsb or 133 mhz fsb CPU. I ask because maybe the fsb: memory ratio is set wrongly? I mean if it had been 133mhz fsb for the cpu and you were using 166mhz memory for ram, u would have had to change the fsb:memory ratio. ie 3:4 or soemthing. When U moved on to a 166mhz fsb cpu but left the ratio as it was, the memory would be operating at a high fsb. Just a thoght mate.

Do check all ratios regarding to the timings of fsb to various other clocks.

Zeta
02-27-04, 07:42 PM
Great point. I will go double check that right now but I am pretty sure that when it booted it said the RAM was running at 166. Yes the 2000+ was a 133FSB.

3Dmark03, Steam, IE, and PC probe were all crashing. I have not tried much else yet.

Zeta
02-27-04, 07:59 PM
The RAM timming is fine. What does anyone think the chances are this is a power supply problem? Is 350W enough for a 2800+? Doed AMD reccomend higher than that?

MUYA
02-27-04, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Master Zeta
The RAM timming is fine. What does anyone think the chances are this is a power supply problem? Is 350W enough for a 2800+? Doed AMD reccomend higher than that?

Nope its fine I ran a 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ 2.2Ghz no problems with a 350W PSU.

It sounds like if anything is crashing that the cpu maybe be dud or that you have been maybe swindled? When I overclock my CPU further to 2.3GHz+, windows loads fine but when I start applications it crashes and no amount of voltge tweaking helps.

Did you apply dence amounts of thermal grease on the die and hsf? erm what are the temps reported in the Bios? I prefer Centigrades, as I am not familiar with Farenhiet?

Zeta
02-28-04, 12:25 AM
Well I checked the markings on the chip with AMD's site to make sure I was getting what I paid for. It could have been remarked but it was a retail CPU in the box. Its running about 44deg C max. I put a new PS in and I flashed the bios to the latest. It is still crashing apps. I guess I am taking the CPU back to the store tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

john19055
02-28-04, 09:29 AM
I have alway found that doing a clean install after upgradeing always helps ever thing work more stale.

Zeta
02-28-04, 03:41 PM
Just an update for anyone keeping track at home. I took the CPU back today and got it traded for a new one. So far everything is perfect. It ran through 3dmark03 without crashing (something I tried on the other one about 10 times and never made it through once). I am off to play some games and demos. See how much this new CPU helps FarCry.

Thanks to everyone who posted with their ideas. Great job on keeping the news alive MUYA. I may not come to the forums much but I have been coming to nvnews since before it was nvnews. Thanks for keeping the site going MikeC.

MUYA
02-28-04, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Master Zeta
Just an update for anyone keeping track at home. I took the CPU back today and got it traded for a new one. So far everything is perfect. It ran through 3dmark03 without crashing (something I tried on the other one about 10 times and never made it through once). I am off to play some games and demos. See how much this new CPU helps FarCry.

Thanks to everyone who posted with their ideas. Great job on keeping the news alive MUYA. I may not come to the forums much but I have been coming to nvnews since before it was nvnews. Thanks for keeping the site going MikeC.

Great to hear your purchase is now sound :D I was a bit worried that you might hav ebeen swindled etc but if the replacement is working fine..great! :D

Thanks for compliments Master about us here at nV News, it is appreiciated.

:angel: