PDA

View Full Version : Software Overclocking

anzak
03-01-04, 06:07 PM
Thanks to CPUFSB im now able to overclock my FSB. Since my Motherboard does not support overclocking this was my only option. Im at 178mhz FSB which brings it to 2.31Ghz on 1.6 volts. Has anyone ever used CPUFSB? Because I cant find a way to save the settings.

Smokey
03-02-04, 11:46 AM
I have tried it before, cant remember much about it, but you should be able to find info over at http://www.ocworkbench.com (http://www.ocworkbench.com/index.stm) just read and or post in the forums there.

Sazar
03-02-04, 12:06 PM
I used my corecenter for the heck of it... :)

its probably similar to what you have... it does oc things but I prefer to do changes in the bios.. call me old fashioned :D

and yes... corecenter does keep my settings... the volts are auto... it is probbly better when you start pushing things beyond a certain level to up the vcore in bios manually... or if you have that option in your cpufsb app... do it :)

saturnotaku
03-02-04, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
and yes... corecenter does keep my settings... the volts are auto... it is probbly better when you start pushing things beyond a certain level to up the vcore in bios manually... or if you have that option in your cpufsb app... do it :)

Agreed. I can't stress enough the importance of proper voltage on a CPU. Even if everything appears to be running perfectly, if a processor is under- or over-volted it can cause major problems down the line.

To test for proper voltage, download and install Prime95 (it's free). It's perhaps the best torture testing software out there. Under the stress/torture test option, select the test that does maximum heat and power consumption and let it run. If your system can pass for at least 8-12 straight hours, you're in the clear. If it fails, you need to adjust your voltages.

Further, it would be a good idea to download and install Motherboard Monitor 5 (available at www.majorgeeks.com) so you can monitor your case and CPU temperatures. That's the other big enemy to overclocking that must be tamed. :D

anzak
03-02-04, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I had it up to 2.4 Ghz but it failed prime 95 after 30 min so I lowered it down to 180mhz FSB and let it run for an hour with no problems.