PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a MSi K7N2delta-L today...

Smokey
03-01-04, 08:51 PM
Anyone use this board? any feedback that can be given, is welcome. Ive gone for this board due to price, and been happy with MSI boards in the past. Im also after info on what IDE drivers to use for best performance, agp gart drivers etc. I'll be putting everything else thats in my sig, and my 2*512 Corsair XMS pc3200 cas2 should run fine in dual channel shouldnt? This is my first Nforce board, I believe that this cheap one Im using now is holding me back a little.

saturnotaku
03-01-04, 08:59 PM
I know digitalwanderer has this board and if you look at his system specs in one of his posts, you'll see he got some pretty good results with it. If you've had good luck with MSI boards, then by all means go for it. I personally haven't had any luck with their stuff so I wouldn't recommend them.

About the IDE drivers, you'll hear mixed responses with regard to those. I have them installed on my machine and haven't had any sort of performance issues. Others though will tell you to stick with the standard MS IDE driver. Only way to really know for sure would be to test them out. Just make sure that you've downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA.

Your memory should have no problems at all. Corsair and the nForce2 is a great combination. This chipset is the 440BX of this generation. Still a great buy even many months after being released. It has such great staying power.

DSC
03-02-04, 02:08 AM
Just FYI, L uses the MCP southbridge, so no Soundstorm.

ILSR uses the MCP-T southbridge and is certified Soundstorm ready by Nvidia.

Smokey
03-02-04, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by DSC
Just FYI, L uses the MCP southbridge, so no Soundstorm.

ILSR uses the MCP-T southbridge and is certified Soundstorm ready by Nvidia.

Hense the cheaper price, but who needs soundstorm when you have an Audigy2 ;) Besides that, I dont have digital speakers so Soundstorm wouldnt be to any benfit to me.

Sat,
Thanks for that info, as I said, I havent had any problems thus far with MSi, had an old MSi board with my Athlon700 SlotA, and a KT3Ultra, both boards were great and 100% stable.

**Update**

Looking at the site were I saw the MSi for 72euro, Ive been looking at other boards they have at around the same price, and was wondering which one would be the better purchase?

MSi K7N2 Delta-L - 72euros
Abit NF7 - 74euros
Asus A7N8X-X - 73euros

Im starting to think that the Abit NF7 might be the better bet?

saturnotaku
03-02-04, 07:26 AM
Just from personal experience I've never had any trouble with Abit...well I did have one board die on me but I think it was shocked to death after riding in a HUMMER H2 on an extended trip.

You obviously overclock, and I think you'll have better options/more flexibility by going with Abit. Plus updating the BIOS on my Abit boards have been far easier than on MSI (just boot into DOS, run a batch file and you're done).

But you should get whatever you feel most comfortable with. You've had good luck with MSI, so buy it. :)

Smokey
03-02-04, 11:44 AM
Went ahead and ordered the Abit NF7, seems to be a favorite out of the nforce2 boards :)

saturnotaku
03-02-04, 12:44 PM
Congrats! You're gonna love it. :)

Just be sure to snag the latest BIOS and update it. There's always a fair amount of compatibility and other fixes whenever Abit releases a new one.

Smokey
03-06-04, 06:27 PM
Yay.....it came..and Im well impressed :D

Seems to be stable at 10*220 with cas 2 - 3- 3- 8, my cpu doesnt seem to like anything over 2.2GHz, but is still better than the 2.1GHz I was stuck at before.

Benchmarking, well on 3dmark2001 default settings, no aa or af, but no lod adjustment ;) I got 16400 odd, and 3dmark03 got just over 5800 :p

DL the latest version of Sandra, dated Feb'04 and get 3300+/3000+ on the mem test and on par with a 3200+, so Im a happy camper :D

**edit** had to drop ram to cas 2.5 to be stable :(