PDA

View Full Version : Multible Fans

pantner
03-02-04, 02:47 AM
Does "Stacking" Fans ontop of each other help...ie, i just got a Volcano 12 (reduced my heat by about 6-10 degees!!!) but it is REALLY loud, if i mounted a 80mm case fan on top (which is quite quiet, and i think it has a RPM of 6000....), had it blowing full speed all the time, and had the V12 on thermal control, would it make any difference doing that, would it take longer for the V12 to "kick into high gear"?????

Gator
03-02-04, 05:56 AM
I tried it once, and I'll never do it again. First of all it doesn't help, I actually tested the effect using 2 fans on my hand, and as I moved the fans together and apart I felt no increase at all in airflow. Actually I felt less airflow when the fans were stacked, probably because the blades would always have to be perfectly synced or else the 2nd fan would block the first one I assume.

Second of all, stacking fans is NOISY AS HELL! Try to imagine a couple FX5800 video cards inside your case :cry:

jAkUp
03-02-04, 11:56 PM
yup exactly.. unless the fans are perfectly synced, it will block airflow... now.. 2 fans a few inches apart, that might work:)