PDA

View Full Version : Sold my Radeon 9800 Pro today!

Mystic0
03-06-04, 01:29 PM
And am waiting on for NV40 or whatever. My good 'ol TNT2 M46 will hold me over... :D. Hats off to Nvidia for providing a supurb linux driver that worked the first time I installed it.

john19055
03-06-04, 01:30 PM
I hope the NV40 lives up to the hyped and I will be switching to one unless the R420 shows to be a better choice.

Mystic0
03-06-04, 01:52 PM
Whatever you do, don't ever use linux and ATI together. Ever.

EMunEeE
03-06-04, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Mystic0
Whatever you do, don't ever use linux and ATI together. Ever.

Now that is a purely subjective statement and to offer a balanced opinion I am going to chime in. I have used the Radeon 8500 and Radeon 9700 Pro under Mandrake Linux 8/9/9.1 and Red Hat Linux 8/9 using ATI's Linux drivers and I have had 0 problems installing or using them. The only thing that bothers me is they talked about releasing more versions of ATI Linux drivers but have not had one in a while. Other than that, ATI has achieved perfection on the Windows and Linux side

:angel:

Mystic0
03-06-04, 05:34 PM
Take a look at the linux forum at rage3d.com and just see how many problems they are having...

EMunEeE
03-06-04, 06:08 PM
Take a look at the linux forum at rage3d.com and just see how many problems they are having...

I am not making a case for ATI Linux drivers based on everyone else's experience, I am doing off of my experience kiddo. ;)

I understand that there exists problems under Linux for ATI card, but it happens for NVidia, and a lot of other graphics card companies also.

freak77power
03-07-04, 12:46 AM
Linux is crap...I would not a spend a minute typing stupid line to install the video card. It's like going 10 years in the past...

Mystic0
03-07-04, 01:09 AM
Wow you are ignorant. Command to install Nvidia linux driver:

sh (name of driver)
your done.

sh (name of driver) --update
downloads and updates driver. Windows dosn't do that, does it?

fallguy
03-07-04, 01:30 AM
I hope what happened to me, doesnt happen to you.

I sold my 8500LE in anticipation for the NV30. I didnt believe all the hype, but still I thought it would be a kick @ss card. I mean, this was nVidia making its best card ever! Well.. as we all know, it didnt live up to the hype, at all. I used my old GF2 for about 8 weeks waiting for the first reviews.. it sucked. It was also delayed for so long, I gave up. Im glad I did, because I got a 9700 Pro that was an awesome card.

In short, you may have sold it too fast.

Wow you are ignorant. Command to install Nvidia linux driver:

sh (name of driver)
your done.

sh (name of driver) --update
downloads and updates driver. Windows dosn't do that, does it?

Anyone else find this ironic? Calling someone a loser, then using 'your' when 'you're' would be correct. Even funnier, he used it right once.

ragejg
03-07-04, 01:50 AM
have you guys any idea of proper forum behavior?

freak77power: your "linux is crap" post... useless, senseless.... why???

mystic0: your "wow you're ignorant" post... well, to us mods and others "wow, you're rude"

fallguy: don't add fuel to the fire please...

keep to the topic, please and thank-you.

Mystic0
03-07-04, 11:58 AM
Anyone else find this ironic? Calling someone a loser, then using 'your' when 'you're' would be correct. Even funnier, he used it right once.

Okey, okey, I was just a little bit angry. I hate it when people bash Linux when they don't even know what they are talking about. Yes, some things may be a pain, but Nvidia driver installation is not one of them.

I am sincerely sorry about my incorrect grammar, if I ever do it again I will go to my room and count to 100.

saturnotaku
03-07-04, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
have you guys any idea of proper forum behavior?

Oh oh oh, can I answer that one please...pretty please? :D

Geforce4ti4200
03-09-04, 10:19 AM
I think he did the right move, if the nv40 or r420 isnt a revolution in performance, he can always buy back the 9800 pro. If the nv40 rules like it probably will, the 9800 pro would lose more value, so he sold it while still over $200