PDA

View Full Version : Cooling solutions for FX 5900

pok
03-06-04, 09:02 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the heatsink on my eVGA 5900SE card. I don't see many after-market cooling solutions for nvidia cards. The only ones I've seen are the zalman zm80c and the thermaltake giant. Anyone know if these are good heatsinks?

WarheadMM
03-06-04, 09:35 PM
i got a ZM80C-HP with the fan on my FX 5900nu. Im getting about 35-45C idle to 70-80C load

pok
03-07-04, 12:43 AM
WarheadMM, do you know if you can mount a standard 80mm fan on the zalman heatsink or do you have to buy their fan?

WarheadMM
03-07-04, 04:26 AM
if you want to mount it then you must have there fan

ricercar
03-07-04, 04:31 AM
you can mount a regular fan of arbitrary size. all it takes is screws with small heads that fit into a groove on the ZM80c, and long enough shafts to go through the fan..

Unless you have a toolkit with lots of screws and already have a fan it may not be worth it to spend time fitting a non-standard fan to a ZM80c.

I have one on my 5900 Ultra. I also put some CompUSA ramsinks on the card; they were the only ones i found that fit beneath the heatpipe. If the CompUSA website wasn't down i'd give you the URL for the RAMsinsk.

ringu61
03-07-04, 09:25 AM
I have Thermaltake GiantIII HeatPipe Cooling kits and I am doing 555MHz/1000MHz on my Leadtek FX5900NU flashed to Gigabyte FX5950U GT BIOS. Idle @ 34c and extrme gaming at 46c

pok
03-08-04, 12:44 AM
For those who have the zalman or thermaltake heatsink, do you think I will need to remove the ramsinks on this card before installing it? Picture at: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=128-A8-N321-TX

ringu61
03-08-04, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by pok
For those who have the zalman or thermaltake heatsink, do you think I will need to remove the ramsinks on this card before installing it? Picture at: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=128-A8-N321-TX

If that's Copper Heatsink on the memory then I recommend that u leave it on as it is. If not then I would recommend take them off and put Thermaltake Giant III Copper ones that provided with the package.
But still up to u though, coz the copper heat sinks that Thermaltake Giant III provided are quite small, but it's copper. Up to you leave it on of take them off. If u are worrying about fitings, then it certainly fit ur card with stock memory heatsinks on.

pok
03-08-04, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by ringu61
If that's Copper Heatsink on the memory then I recommend that u leave it on as it is. If not then I would recommend take them off and put Thermaltake Giant III Copper ones that provided with the package.
But still up to u though, coz the copper heat sinks that Thermaltake Giant III provided are quite small, but it's copper. Up to you leave it on of take them off. If u are worrying about fitings, then it certainly fit ur card with stock memory heatsinks on.

I'm more worry about the fitting, I have no clue how to remove the ramsinks on my card (it's stuck on pretty good :))

Also, how is the noise level on the 60mm fan on the thermaltake? I mainly want to upgrade the heatsink to reduce the noise of my card.

ringu61
03-08-04, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by pok
I'm more worry about the fitting, I have no clue how to remove the ramsinks on my card (it's stuck on pretty good :))

Also, how is the noise level on the 60mm fan on the thermaltake? I mainly want to upgrade the heatsink to reduce the noise of my card.

60mm fan at front is ok at High, u can adjust them in 3 different speed. I think u will be more worried about the Turbo 40mm fan at the top. When u switch on the Turbo 40mm fan it's really loud that u can't have it at normal operation, so I personally baught a fan speed adjust kits for that Turbo 40mm at the top.

PS: Turbo 40mm only have on/off options so I recommend u to plug that 40mm fan on fan speed adjust kits.

pok
03-08-04, 08:11 PM
60mm fan at front is ok at High, u can adjust them in 3 different speed. I think u will be more worried about the Turbo 40mm fan at the top. When u switch on the Turbo 40mm fan it's really loud that u can't have it at normal operation, so I personally baught a fan speed adjust kits for that Turbo 40mm at the top.

PS: Turbo 40mm only have on/off options so I recommend u to plug that 40mm fan on fan speed adjust kits.

Yeah, I heard the blower is loud, I probably won't even install that fan on when I get it. I won't be ocing the card much anyways, haven't run into a game I can't run yet. :cool: I think I will give this cooler a try, thanks for the advice everyone!

ringu61
03-08-04, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by pok
Yeah, I heard the blower is loud, I probably won't even install that fan on when I get it. I won't be ocing the card much anyways, haven't run into a game I can't run yet. :cool: I think I will give this cooler a try, thanks for the advice everyone!

No, I think U should install the 40mm Turbo Fan but just make the RPM lower.

pok
03-08-04, 10:54 PM
No, I think U should install the 40mm Turbo Fan but just make the RPM lower.

I may give that a try also, I got a fan mate lying around here somewhere...