PDA

View Full Version : Moding Nvidia FX video cards

Luger
03-07-04, 03:33 PM
Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of you have been able to successfully mod your FX video cards, asside from the 5900 to 5950's etc.

I've got a BFG FX5600 256mb that I was hoping to be able to mod to maybe a 5700 or at min a 5600 ultra. No such luck so far however.

I've used Xbios to change the bios info to reflect the card in question I wanted to mod and used the Nvidia bios flash utility.

The flash always fails though saying something like "the board ID's do not match" or something similar to that.

I've matched up all that I can as far as the board ID # as well as the manufacturer ID and everything Xbios allows you to change. However I don't know how to use the hex editor.

Is that an essential part to mods?

Financially I'm strapped. So I really cannot afford to invest in a more expensive card.

saturnotaku
03-07-04, 08:58 PM
If you want 5600 Ultra speeds, why don't you just overclock using Coolbits or RivaTuner?

Luger
03-08-04, 08:29 AM
I can't overclock it to 5600ultra speeds without getting artifacts and lockups.

Is it possible to change the bios so that the card thinks it's a 5700 or something like that?

saturnotaku
03-08-04, 11:43 AM
The 5700 is an improved and more efficient architecture than the 5600 so such a mod would not be possible. The only real way to improve overclocking would be to bust out the soldering iron and volt mod the card.

Or, you could sell your 5600 and purchase a 5700 non-ultra. Those cards are running less than $140 right now and lots of folks are having great success overclocking them.

fingermouth
03-09-04, 12:56 AM
Hey Saturnatoku, whats up? I would agree with you on that one. I did alot of research on these things and i found out that the PCB's are different and the memory is different. Tiger has 5900's for 199 and u can make them 5950's with bios updates. Nothing easier than that. I did some soldering on one of my old cards and got some stuff tweaked on them. Hey if you head over to EBgames in Broadview again let me know. I haven't been their yet i was going to go their a couple of weeks ago but no ride so i will try getting their later this week or weekend. Good place for used PC titles too. Keep up the good work and enjoy the FX modding its kind of fun but can mess things up bad.