PDA

View Full Version : New Thermaltake Heat Pipe HSF

MUYA
03-08-04, 10:29 AM
This thing is huge but cna be used for P4s, Athlon64s, Athlon XPs!!!

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm

http://www.thermaltake.com/images/coolers/CL-P0025/dualFan.jpg

I would how well it cools a CPU and how quiet it is. Any links to a review of it is appreciated! :D

Dazz
03-08-04, 05:40 PM
Heat pipes seem to be the rage at the moment.

21dba is VERY quiet, as in the video card will make more noise.

I've just noticed that it uses mounting holes so if you are using a board without mounting holes it won't go well.

MUYA
03-08-04, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Heat pipes seem to be the rage at the moment.

21dba is VERY quiet, as in the video card will make more noise.

I've just noticed that it uses mounting holes so if you are using a board without mounting holes it won't go well.

Yeah I checked their website again. 21 dba isn't bad :D Might get one of these bad boys since they are 4 in 1 :D Ie I use it for me athlonXp and when the time comes to upgrade. I can use it then too :D

jAkUp
03-08-04, 09:57 PM
if that actually works well, it would shove all the hot air right out the back of the case.. a good thing:)

MUYA
03-08-04, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
if that actually works well, it would shove all the hot air right out the back of the case.. a good thing:)

Maybe you can arrange it so the HSF will expell air to the case exhaust fan or the PSU intake vent. Either way, good idea :D

saturnotaku
03-08-04, 10:11 PM
I would try to get that thing in just such a way where the hot air could be sucked through a fan at the top of the case. Interesting concept and one I would be very curious to see in practice.

SnakeEyes
03-09-04, 10:06 AM
Just searched google for any (p)reviews. I doubt that there will be anything just yet, mainly because one of the news blurbs I did find mentioned availability expected in April 2004. I guess we need to keep an eye out next month though.

(I'll be interested in getting one it if it's performance is good enough to replace my Swiftech MCX-462 w/high speed fan, both more quietly and at the same relative cooling levels. :))

Nebuchadnezzar
03-09-04, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
(I'll be interested in getting one it if it's performance is good enough to replace my Swiftech MCX-462 w/high speed fan, both more quietly and at the same relative cooling levels. :)) Man anything from Thermalright would beat that heatsink.

As for the db comments, you can put whatever 80mm fan you want on it so it's pretty useless to discuss about noise.
I wonder if it can beat the SP94/97.

SnakeEyes
03-10-04, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Nebuchadnezzar
Man anything from Thermalright would beat that heatsink.
Are you smoking something?;)

This swiftech is still one of the best air-cooled heatsinks available for the socket 462. I have yet to see where a Thermalright beat it in a review (feel free to prove me wrong, as I'm getting a bit tired of having to remove the motherboard to take the heatsink off. :D)

As for the db comments, you can put whatever 80mm fan you want on it so it's pretty useless to discuss about noise.
I wonder if it can beat the SP94/97.
For the db comments, it's fairly important to me that the heatsink with a quieter fan be just as efficient as my current setup is, otherwise it'd be a waste of money to buy a different combination. If that (supposedly) quiet heatsink / fan combo above fits the bill, I'm all for it. But to achieve stability at my current overclock, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any lesser cooling (and I'm not ready to go liquid / refrigerated).

Nebuchadnezzar
03-10-04, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Are you smoking something?;)

This swiftech is still one of the best air-cooled heatsinks available for the socket 462. I have yet to see where a Thermalright beat it in a review (feel free to prove me wrong, as I'm getting a bit tired of having to remove the motherboard to take the heatsink off. :D) http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/07/IMG0007057.gif
http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/07/IMG0007049.gif

Didn't find the MCX 462, but the MCX4000, anyway, if you do a little bit of search for yourself you won't find any other heatsink except the Zalman CNPS or the new Gigabyte Cooler Pro coming anywhere near the performances of the SLK900/948U / SP-94. A MCX4000 can only keep up with a jet turbine Delta fan against an SP-94 (which is btw the same as the SP-97 (S462), only the Intel vesion) with a silent Papst fan.

For the db comments, it's fairly important to me that the heatsink with a quieter fan be just as efficient as my current setup is, otherwise it'd be a waste of money to buy a different combination. If that (supposedly) quiet heatsink / fan combo above fits the bill, I'm all for it. But to achieve stability at my current overclock, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any lesser cooling (and I'm not ready to go liquid / refrigerated). I don't know what that has to have with me telling that you can put whatever fan you want on it. I hope that you seriously don't belive that Thermaltake's fans they put on it are anywhere near as performant/silent as quality fans like Papst or Noiseblockers. :rolleyes:

Some fan reviews: (Just look at the graphs if you don't understand french)
http://www.materiel.be/refroid/92mmfans/page1.php
http://www.materiel.be/refroid/80mmfans/intro.php

Edit: To sum it up, the SP-94/97 are the Kings of air-cooling, you won't find anything better. Get a silent fan for adequate cooling and complete silence or get a noisy/normal fan for best performance.

Dazz
03-10-04, 04:50 PM
Doesn't matter too much HSF peform diffrently on systems, i've seen HSF peform excellent on a SK462 but peforms poor on a sk478. It's the way it is.

SnakeEyes
03-10-04, 05:00 PM
I agree with you somewhat Dazz, but if that SP97 performs as well relative to the MCX462, I may be shopping for one soon. Thanks for the review links, Nebuchadnezzar. I stand corrected. :D

Nebuchadnezzar
03-10-04, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Doesn't matter too much HSF peform diffrently on systems, i've seen HSF peform excellent on a SK462 but peforms poor on a sk478. It's the way it is. Wow who swould have thought that? :confused:

:p