PDA

View Full Version : a moment of silence


Pages : [1] 2

zoomy942
03-08-04, 04:38 PM
<bowing my head>

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

jAkUp
03-08-04, 08:52 PM
:cry:

saturnotaku
03-08-04, 08:54 PM
Um, shouldn't this be in the other video cards forum?

zoomy942
03-08-04, 08:57 PM
no way, nvidia has 3dfx in its dungeon.

saturnotaku
03-08-04, 09:09 PM
Bleh. 3dfx brought their demise upon themselves. I have no sympathy for them.

zoomy942
03-08-04, 09:45 PM
i agree, they didnt have the best business manager did they?

OWA
03-08-04, 10:09 PM
Checkout this thread. You should enjoy it. There is someone there claiming a 3Dfx card will be released at the end of the year.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=1332670717#post1332670717

bkswaney
03-09-04, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by OWA
Checkout this thread. You should enjoy it. There is someone there claiming a 3Dfx card will be released at the end of the year.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=1332670717#post1332670717


:lol: :lol: :lol:

goofjb
03-09-04, 01:09 AM
I would like to know this guy he is talking about? He is either more knowledgeable then all of us here, there and everywhere else, or just a great storyteller.

ChrisRay
03-09-04, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Bleh. 3dfx brought their demise upon themselves. I have no sympathy for them.


I completely agree. I am very very bitter about what 3dfx did to all its customers. I dont agree that it was Nvidias responcibility to take care of 3dfx customers at all.


3dfx abandoned its fan base and left them to dry. It's really freaken shame. And I can gaurentee you, I didnt even see 3dfx's demise coming.

|JuiceZ|
03-09-04, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
3dfx abandoned its fan base and left them to dry. It's really freaken shame. And I can gaurentee you, I didnt even see 3dfx's demise coming.

Yea the funny thing is, I remember seeing "April Fools" news post for yrs saying Nvidia had bought out 3DFX little did we know it was a sign of things to come :lol:

zoomy942
03-09-04, 10:51 AM
a bad sign. i woke up one day and 3dfx was no more. i remember the first time i saw their website with that message about.....:cry: :cry: ... give me a minute....

zoomy942
03-09-04, 10:52 AM
:cry:

fingermouth
03-09-04, 02:16 PM
Will you please stop repeating yourself, Its a healthy Overclock. Is that all you can say?

I agree that 3dfx let its fans down toward the end of 1999 and 2000. I had all their cards from the voodoo to the voodoo 5 but i can agree that the voodoo 5 sdk had some very nice AA. I used it in Quake 3 at 1024 768 with Triple Buffering on and it was sweet. Not as nice as say an FX but its was nice for 2000 technology.

theultimo
03-09-04, 02:21 PM
Voodoo 5 was alright, as was the Voodoo 3 (My 1st "mid-range" gfx card)


Still, nVidia had gone the extra mile and supported the fans...thats what killed 3dfx IMO

marqmajere
03-09-04, 02:22 PM
This seems almost like a bragging thread to me.

NickSpolec
03-09-04, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by fingermouth
Will you please stop repeating yourself, Its a healthy Overclock. Is that all you can say?

Don't you understand the concept of a "Signature"?

TheTaz
03-09-04, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by OWA
Checkout this thread. You should enjoy it. There is someone there claiming a 3Dfx card will be released at the end of the year.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=1332670717#post1332670717

A new 3DFX card was already released... it was called the NV30! :D

Ok... setting aside being a smart@ss... I *think* the NV30 was the first to have some acquired 3DFX technology in it. Not sure. :p

Regards,

faraday
03-09-04, 04:39 PM
that would explain why it sucks...

Woodelf
03-09-04, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I completely agree. I am very very bitter about what 3dfx did to all its customers. I dont agree that it was Nvidias responcibility to take care of 3dfx customers at all.


3dfx abandoned its fan base and left them to dry. It's really freaken shame. And I can gaurentee you, I didnt even see 3dfx's demise coming.
I knew something was up after all of the delays. Then after seeing the size of the thing, I thought that the traces were way too long, and who's case was it going to fit in. Then there's Nvidia with one chip on a small board, Passing them by. At least x3dfx formed to support the users. I think it was Nvidias intention to evaporate 3dfx as quickly as possible.

ChrisRay
03-10-04, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Woodelf
I knew something was up after all of the delays. Then after seeing the size of the thing, I thought that the traces were way too long, and who's case was it going to fit in. Then there's Nvidia with one chip on a small board, Passing them by. At least x3dfx formed to support the users. I think it was Nvidias intention to evaporate 3dfx as quickly as possible.


It was 3dfx's decision to To sell its Assets to Nvidia. I'm Sure Nvidia wasnt the only one bidding either.

Why should Nvidia support hardware that it doesnt make? or Ever produced?

zoomy942
03-10-04, 10:12 AM
i dont think they shoukld support hardware they dont mke, but they should use the technology behind 3dfx's and implement them into their hardware.

doom3 should have been written for Glide.

ChrisRay
03-10-04, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
i dont think they shoukld support hardware they dont mke, but they should use the technology behind 3dfx's and implement them into their hardware.

doom3 should have been written for Glide.


Glide doesnt even offer half of the basic feature sets in Doom 3. Let alone Shaders.


NO EBM.. No Cube Mapping.. No Large Texture support.. No Shaders... NO T&L...

Woodelf
03-10-04, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
It was 3dfx's decision to To sell its Assets to Nvidia. I'm Sure Nvidia wasnt the only one bidding either.

Why should Nvidia support hardware that it doesnt make? or Ever produced?

Did I say something to lead you to believe that I though Nvidia should hold any responsiblity to 3dfx card owners?.

"At least x3dfx formed to support the users." I just meant that it was a good thing that this at least happened.

To tell you the truth, I'm glad 3dfx is a part of nvidia and no more. we don't need another API monopolized by one company that can't produce a decent card. After the voodoo 2's (awsome) they were constantly one upped by Nvidia
to the point of their presence becoming irrelevent. Now we have a huge company that, (I feel) if it weren't for trying to push CG over DX9, would have much better hardware than they do.
Lighten up. :eek:

zoomy942
03-10-04, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Glide doesnt even offer half of the basic feature sets in Doom 3. Let alone Shaders.


NO EBM.. No Cube Mapping.. No Large Texture support.. No Shaders... NO T&L...

youre right. i just have such good memories of glide