PDA

View Full Version : Having Major Problems: Please Help

hogg_78
03-08-04, 09:01 PM
I have an nVidia 5600xt 256mb video card. My monitor flickers uncontrollably at times. I've tried troubleshooting and it doesn't help.

Number two, I cannot get the multiple display function to work right with my television. It shows up on my tv as black and white instead of color.

I'm very interested in learning what I can do to help my situation here.

I just downloaded the recommended driver from nVidia and the computer still flickers, but not as much as before.

goofjb
03-09-04, 01:15 AM
Does it still stay black and white when your boot into Windows? I remember hain a Geforce 3 that would be B&W when I started up but would bring in color after going into Windows. Also what driver are you using?

MUYA
03-09-04, 03:56 AM
Hmm maybe you have set the refresh rate of your monitor too high ? Just a shot in the dark that.

As for the B/w on TV out...is there a way to set the standard ie Pal, NTSC etc? Maybe it's configured wrong?

Smokey
03-09-04, 07:23 AM
The BW prob, is sleceting the right output, either compisite of s-video.

hogg_78
03-09-04, 06:21 PM
The monitor stays in color, but the TV stays in B&W. The first night I had it hooked up, it was in color. There are two S-video outputs on the back of the television. Does it matter which one the S-video from the computer is going into? I hate to even try because if done incorrectly, it freezes the computer and then tries to go into safe mode and I have to go back into my system memory to restart from a new day.

The way I have my S-video running now is from my CPU to my digital cable box.

The refresh rate on my monitor is at 85 hz right now. I ran it at 60 and it didn't help.

The drivers are 6.14.10.5303

Does this info help at all? I'm having the major flicker problem, still.

einstein_314
03-09-04, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by hogg_78
There are two S-video outputs on the back of the television. Does it matter which one the S-video from the computer is going into?

Well, first of all, I'd say that your s-video cable should be going to a s-video in, not a s-video out. That could be the cause of the black and white. Although I don't see how it's working at all with it going to the s-video out. All you should have to do is connect a cable between the video card out and a s-video in on the tv.

hogg_78
03-09-04, 07:00 PM
Ok, that said, concerning the S-video in, why does my monitor continue to flicker and slow my computer down?

I'm running a 2.8 p4 800HTT w/ 1gb of PC 3500 RAM

einstein_314
03-09-04, 10:28 PM
As for the monitor flickering, I'd say the refresh rate is too high. What resolution and refresh rate do you have it set to? And also, is the monitor old? It could be dying. And when you said "it flickers uncontrollably at times" did you mean it works fine sometimes?

hogg_78
03-10-04, 05:11 PM
Resolution 800x600, 32bit color quality.

Refresh rate is now 72hertz. I switched it to that.

Hardware acceleration is at Full.

Bios is at 4.31.20.69.00

The monitor is 2 years old, but it did the same thing on my friend's brand new monitor.

Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it.