PDA

View Full Version : Need a New AMD MB for 2400 Mobile

Pages : [1] 2

catkins963
03-11-04, 05:44 PM
I need a new MB for MY XP2400+ Mobile . I am looking at
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-144&depa=1 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-144&depa=1 )

Is this good for general use and maybe a little overclocking? Any other sugestions are very welcome. Also need a new Heat sink

SnakeEyes
03-12-04, 10:54 AM
If that's using the nForce2 400 chipset, it is more than a good choice for overclocking, it's the one everyone seems to want (me included, but only because that's what I've been reading) for the mobile CPUs and overclocking.

If it's the original chipset, it should still work fine, but might require a bit more work for certain things when overclocking.

(imo, Abit has redeemed themselves since the period of time where they were gaining a reputation for poor quality. If they continue like this, my next big upgrade will have an Abit branded motherboard.)

MUYA
03-12-04, 10:58 AM
you are better off getting the nf7-s v2.0 like I have. Nice mobo, and good for overclocking and unlocks the multipliers ;)

saturnotaku
03-12-04, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
(imo, Abit has redeemed themselves since the period of time where they were gaining a reputation for poor quality. If they continue like this, my next big upgrade will have an Abit branded motherboard.)

You talking about the whole capacitor thing?

I ask because Abit is the only brand of motherboard I've owned that hasn't given me some sort of trouble, and if it did, the company was extremely responsive in getting it fixed.

SnakeEyes
03-12-04, 11:11 AM
Yep. I was talking about the capacitor thing. But they've since implemented a new quality control program that specifically deals with the program. Even better, their motherboards tend to come more fully feature-laden than the competition, and especially in the areas where it is of benefit to enthusiasts and overclockers. (higher voltage ranges, usually, full support of ALL multipliers for unlocked chips from the bios, etc.)

BTW, MUYA, I wasn't sure if that was a revision 2.0 board or not. Judging by the information on that page was hard, though it did show support for the 200MHz fsb processors, which leads me to think it is. The -S revision just gets him SATA and a couple other things, including a price hike. If he doesn't need those extra features, this board should still give him the unlocked multipliers and excellent overclocking in general, but without costing nearly so much. (I personally tend to go for fully-loaded boards, since I'm such a geek and never know what goodies I'll want to put on it before I replace it again, but at under $80, it's hard to beat that value. :)

MUYA
03-12-04, 11:18 AM
Yep. I was talking about the capacitor thing. But they've since implemented a new quality control program that specifically deals with the program. Even better, their motherboards tend to come more fully feature-laden than the competition, and especially in the areas where it is of benefit to enthusiasts and overclockers. (higher voltage ranges, usually, full support of ALL multipliers for unlocked chips from the bios, etc.)

BTW, MUYA, I wasn't sure if that was a revision 2.0 board or not. Judging by the information on that page was hard, though it did show support for the 200MHz fsb processors, which leads me to think it is. The -S revision just gets him SATA and a couple other things, including a price hike. If he doesn't need those extra features, this board should still give him the unlocked multipliers and excellent overclocking in general, but without costing nearly so much. (I personally tend to go for fully-loaded boards, since I'm such a geek and never know what goodies I'll want to put on it before I replace it again, but at under $80, it's hard to beat that value. :)

The newegg product link links it to the NF7 page.

I dunno how much extra would the nf7-s cost? $20 or so? I have the Abit Nf7-S version mobo and I love it to bits. :D

True if he doesn't need the extra stuff and not bothered by not having soundtorm, he is better of buying the ABIT nf7 rather than the nf7-s v2.0.

But i can heartily reccomend the Abit NF7-S v2.0 Never ever had a problem with it except that one time where I **accidently** flashed the wrong bios into it :D

Woodelf
03-14-04, 05:31 PM
Good board. according to the specs, it supports 200fsb. Actually I think all of the red ones do (don't quote me). Super stable overclocker.

Woodelf
03-14-04, 05:56 PM
Man, I'm so tempted to get one of those mobiles. Any one seen one in a vapochill yet?. I was
going to hold off for an A 64, but these are so cheap.

Rytr
03-14-04, 07:38 PM
Excellent choice, the NF7 or NF7-S. Refurbs at newegg.com go for $45 and $59 respectively, when they have them. Abit generally replenishes accessories (backplate, cables, manuals, disks, etc) in the box with the refurbished motherboard. I have purchased several such as IC7 and NF7-S and all have worked very well. I have a NF7-S, v2.0, refurb on my workbench right now waiting to be installed.

catkins963
03-14-04, 10:45 PM
Well, good to hear that I may have made a good choice. It will be here Monday afternoon. Will keep ya'll updated on how it went. Thanks for all the info ......

SnakeEyes
03-15-04, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Woodelf
Man, I'm so tempted to get one of those mobiles. Any one seen one in a vapochill yet?. I was
going to hold off for an A 64, but these are so cheap.
I haven't seen one yet, but there are reports of at least one hitting 3GHz over on AMDMB.COM forums which I assume is using something like the vapochill.

I only scanned the topic, so I didn't actually notice if they even mentioned what the cooling was in the post, or if there was a link referenced that might have. At the time I was just browsing general experiences with these processors trying to make up my mind on whether to buy one as an interim holdover until I can afford to go XP64.

Woodelf
03-15-04, 08:16 PM
I haven't seen one yet, but there are reports of at least one hitting 3GHz over on AMDMB.COM forums which I assume is using something like the vapochill.

I only scanned the topic, so I didn't actually notice if they even mentioned what the cooling was in the post, or if there was a link referenced that might have. At the time I was just browsing general experiences with these processors trying to make up my mind on whether to buy one as an interim holdover until I can afford to go XP64.
OK, I wen't there and saw the post's. He's having trouble staying
at 3.079MHZ @2.192v with a prometia. Man some of these guy's really like going above 2.0v w/air. looks like My chip has lost it's value. Hmmm...maybe
it's time to crank it up. :firedevil :D

Woodelf
03-15-04, 10:15 PM
Well I got up to 2.6 at 2.0v, any higher and I'd lock up.
Hardly worth it. 18912 2001se
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=285417

Dazz
03-16-04, 01:38 AM
Your score is very low considering your video card is running at 480/783MHz I get around that with 200MHz less on the CPU and my video card running at 430/690MHz.

SnakeEyes
03-16-04, 09:14 AM
I was gonna point that out too Dazz. I get just under 18k at 2.5GHz with my 9700pro running 355.5 / 355.5. (Haven't tried at 2.6GHz yet. 2.5 was the highest clock I could hit and pass 18+ hours in Prime95. 2.6 dies in just over an hour.. Might try it just to see the benchmark results tonight though. :D)

Dazz
03-16-04, 01:45 PM
18 hours lol my computer is NEVER on that long 2~4 hours average 10 tops.

SnakeEyes
03-16-04, 01:48 PM
Yeah. I leave mine on 24/7. The only reason I say 18+ hours is that is the longest I went between using it for something, and I let Prime95 run in Stress Test mode the whole time. Doing that I was not only able to say it's stable at the current overclock and voltages, but also I was able to see what the maximum full-load temperature is (51C max, 36-38C idle). :)

Woodelf
03-16-04, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Your score is very low considering your video card is running at 480/783MHz I get around that with 200MHz less on the CPU and my video card running at 430/690MHz.

You know what, Your right. It seems that I forgot to change that part of My
sig when I fried My 9800PRO (another story). Real specs: 371/620.
Thank's for pointing that out.;)

SnakeEyes
03-16-04, 08:15 PM
Bleh. After much tweaking, attempting to run 3DMark2k1SE, failing, and retweaking again, I've found that the maximum stable overclocks with this program (haven't even tried Prime95, which would probably fail fairly quickly) are as follows:

CPU: 14x182.23 (reported by WCPUID), 2551.25MHz@1.775v
GPU/MEM: 363/711 (355.5 set with RadLinker), artifact free, 18050
366/711, artifacts in the Nature scene toward the end, 18180
default 324/622 (311 reported in Radlinker, no change), 16360

That's not really all that bad for a Radeon 9700Pro, is it? (overclock AND score, I mean)

Woodelf
03-16-04, 09:05 PM
Bleh. After much tweaking, attempting to run 3DMark2k1SE, failing, and retweaking again, I've found that the maximum stable overclocks with this program (haven't even tried Prime95, which would probably fail fairly quickly) are as follows:

CPU: 14x182.23 (reported by WCPUID), 2551.25MHz@1.775v
GPU/MEM: 363/711 (355.5 set with RadLinker), artifact free, 18050
366/711, artifacts in the Nature scene toward the end, 18180
default 324/622 (311 reported in Radlinker, no change), 16360

That's not really all that bad for a Radeon 9700Pro, is it? (overclock AND score, I mean)
You know what. My 9800pro was getting 21000. When I dropped to 18000, I thought I'd see a perfomance hit in games, but I really didn't. I'm just clocking higher cause I'm sick of waiting for any decent games to finally come out. I think You doing just fine. :afro2:

SnakeEyes
03-17-04, 07:58 AM
Great! I'm hanging on to the 9700Pro a bit longer, mainly because I'm moving again this summer, and I can't spare the $$ for another upgrade until after that (if then, depends on how we do on the move itself), so I'm trying to stretch it a bit.

I also started Prime95 stress testing at around 8PM local (9PM EST) last night, and as of 30 minutes ago, it hadn't errored out. So I guess the burn-in period at 2505MHz earned me an additional 50MHz stable. (2505 was the highest overclock I was able to achieve and not have Prime95 fail in an hour or less when I first put the Mobile 2500+ into my system, about a week and a half ago. I had to increase the voltage by .05v, from 1.725 to 1.775 to get this stable though). I can still get to WindowsXP Pro on every boot at 2600MHz, but for some reason the 9700Pro seems less overclockable with the CPU that high- there were lots of graphical problems on the desktop until I restored the card's speeds to stock. Even so, I wasn't able to complete a single run of 3DMark2k1SE with the CPU that high. Not enough voltage available from the motherboard and not enough cooling, I suppose. (Temp was around 55C max until it froze / rebooted, vCore was at 1.850v in the bios, reading ~1.90v variable in CPUz).

catkins963
03-17-04, 08:30 AM
I got my Abit NF7 Motherboard in Tuesday evening and after a Windows XP reinstall got it up and running with no hitches. I am running the XP 2400M stock right now (13.5X133=1800) . My memory is only pc2100 so I am not sure how far I can push it. I will mess with it over the next couple days.

ENU291
03-17-04, 08:36 AM
What have you guys heard about DFI Nforce 2 mobos (DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity or the DFI LanParty NF2 Ultra B). I hear that they are the best boards on the market for OCin. High vcore setting...

SnakeEyes
03-17-04, 11:47 AM
I have seen a lot of posts recommending those motherboards for overclocking with these mobile processors on the AMD Motherboards forums. But I've also heard good things about Abit's revision 2 nForce2 motherboards too. :)

Burnt_Ram
03-20-04, 11:09 AM
Great! I'm hanging on to the 9700Pro a bit longer, mainly because I'm moving again this summer, and I can't spare the $$ for another upgrade until after that (if then, depends on how we do on the move itself), so I'm trying to stretch it a bit.

I also started Prime95 stress testing at around 8PM local (9PM EST) last night, and as of 30 minutes ago, it hadn't errored out. So I guess the burn-in period at 2505MHz earned me an additional 50MHz stable. (2505 was the highest overclock I was able to achieve and not have Prime95 fail in an hour or less when I first put the Mobile 2500+ into my system, about a week and a half ago. I had to increase the voltage by .05v, from 1.725 to 1.775 to get this stable though). I can still get to WindowsXP Pro on every boot at 2600MHz, but for some reason the 9700Pro seems less overclockable with the CPU that high- there were lots of graphical problems on the desktop until I restored the card's speeds to stock. Even so, I wasn't able to complete a single run of 3DMark2k1SE with the CPU that high. Not enough voltage available from the motherboard and not enough cooling, I suppose. (Temp was around 55C max until it froze / rebooted, vCore was at 1.850v in the bios, reading ~1.90v variable in CPUz). i would hang on to that 9700 pro too ! its plenty GOOD to run anything till the next gen cards come out, and then some ! ;) ! R420/NV40 etc