PDA

View Full Version : Discrete Soundtorm..?

MUYA
03-12-04, 12:18 AM
from Firingsquad's review of the nforce3 250GB; (http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nforce3_250gb/default.asp)

Unfortunately, the Soundstorm audio found on nForce2 didn’t migrate over to nForce3 250, but NVIDIA is hard at work on a new discrete audio solution

hmmm that sounds interesting

who knows..maybe u might eventually get a bundle like nv40+doom III coupon + sound storm card?

interesting

SnakeEyes
03-12-04, 10:38 AM
This could be taken as meaning either good things or bad things for the nForce3 chipsets though-

Good: nVidia realizes that SoundStorm was a large part of the reasoning behind people buying nForce2 motherboards over the competition (where all other things considered, performance and features would be similar between different motherboard chipsets). Because of this, they see a market where people owning any motherboard with any chipset can get the SoundStorm solution. This way nVidia can make money on it even from those that are loyal to Via, SiS, etc.

Bad: nVidia realizes that the nForce3 chipset is horribly fatally irreparably broken. Knowing that this chipset will never be able to compete on a level with or above the current competitors' products, nVidia realizes that they can still salvage the situation somewhat by selling SoundStorm as separate discrete cards, softening the monetary loss on nF3 / GF FX a bit more and carrying them over until nF4 / nV40 can start really pulling in the money.

I like conspiracy theories.:D:D

In all seriousness, this is good news if it's true. When I do my next big upgrade, I plan to move to the Athlon 64. I'd like the freedom to buy whatever motherboard is currently performing best all-around, and that might not necessarily be an nForce3 board (though I was kidding above). However, I really like my SoundStorm on my nForce2. There's nothing else like it on the market, and right now unless this is true, there doesn't appear to be anything like it coming in the forseeable future.

sxotty
03-12-04, 04:24 PM
Yeah I would pay quite a bit for soundstorm sound card I don't want to say it b/c then they will start charging it $100.00 Of course that is assuming it has a breakout box, and a plethora of inputs as well as increased signal to noise and what not on the analog channels, I would love to use the digital out w/ dolby encoding, and then plug in a headset for a round of urbanterror... (that is why the nforce was so awesome to me, I would pay the same just for the audio as the whole motherboard :) )

FastM
03-12-04, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I really like my SoundStorm on my nForce2. There's nothing else like it on the market, and right now unless this is true, there doesn't appear to be anything like it coming in the forseeable future.

Your telling me, the onboard with this MSI is a joke compared to the Soundstorm i had with my 8rda+..... Im days away from getting an Audigy2 ZS

Sazar
03-12-04, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FastM
Your telling me, the onboard with this MSI is a joke compared to the Soundstorm i had with my 8rda+..... Im days away from getting an Audigy2 ZS

-sniff-

yes... the ac 97 sucks munkeh balls compared to my audigy :(

but the audigy appears to have bitten the dust hence I bide my time till I can buy a decent audio solution... a discrete soundstorm solution would be interesting but audigy2 seems to be what I am leaning towards...

UDawg
03-12-04, 08:17 PM
Three letters for ya... R M A :D I have a hunch you can't RMA it can you?:eek: That totaly bites.

GlowStick
03-12-04, 11:49 PM
Id love too see a nother player in discrete audio, mainly because it seems its Creative, and Via and Phillips. Wish aureal was back!

MUYA
03-12-04, 11:56 PM
competition in the audio area can't hurt. :D

Dazz
03-13-04, 04:33 AM
It does when Creative now ownz the OpenAL rights, once their (all other manufatures) rights expire what will Creative Labs do?

GamblerFEXonlin
03-15-04, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
It does when Creative now ownz the OpenAL rights, once their (all other manufatures) rights expire what will Creative Labs do?

What do you mean by this? the name or the technology? link for insight?

I hate creative and their driver bloat, if there were something that sounded equally good in games i'd send back this Audigy 2 sz immediately and you should too.

but soundstorm is no good in games...

SnakeEyes
03-15-04, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by GamblerFEXonlin
I hate creative and their driver bloat, if there were something that sounded equally good in games i'd send back this Audigy 2 sz immediately and you should too.
I understand the driver bloat irritation, but everything else I've ever read about the Audigy 2 series has been good. Is there some other reason you'd like to replace it if you could?

but soundstorm is no good in games...
Why? Mine's working great for games (nearly the only thing it is used for, in fact. Well, other than my wife's occasional cranking up CMT.COM radio when she's in the computer room and I'm at work- she likes the Creative/Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 + nForce2 Soundstorm output pretty well, I guess. :))