PDA

View Full Version : usb problems

vampireuk
03-12-04, 06:16 PM
A friend of mine is having some trouble with his usb headset, when he plugs the headset into the usb port the system crashes. When plugged in the system pops up saying it is searching for a suitable driver then dies, when used in another system using xp pro it works fine, any ideas?

I'll be back when im sober tommorow:p :D

Clay
03-12-04, 08:38 PM
I assume that other USB devices plugged into that same port don't cause the same problem? Sounds like it might be a voltage issue...that's a reach though...does he have any other USB ports to plug them into? Do you have a USB PCI card that you could slap in there and see if that has same effect?

Smokey
03-12-04, 09:02 PM
I dont know, but dont some usb devices need to have the drivers installed before the device? I think you get asked to plug it in during the install of the drivers?

MUYA
03-13-04, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
I dont know, but dont some usb devices need to have the drivers installed before the device? I think you get asked to plug it in during the install of the drivers?

Smokey is abso right....some need to have drivers installed like my gamepad from Saitek, and my Momo wheel from Logitech

vampireuk
03-13-04, 03:38 AM
Well I checked the logitech site and the usb headsets do not require any drivers for them. Other usb devices such as the keyboard and mouse are working fine, it's just the headset that crashes the system.

USB headsets are supplied without drivers because the relevant software is built into the operating system. If files are missing when you install the headset, this would suggest that your operating system has not been installed correctly or completely. You will find the missing files on the original CD for your operating system. For licensing reasons, Logitech is unable to supply these files.

Edit: He has tried it in all of his usb ports including his hub.

Smokey
03-13-04, 07:48 AM
Is it possible that its a dodgy heatset?

shim
03-13-04, 11:30 AM
i run a logitech USB headset for chat.. and its PNP with no drivers.. :)