PDA

View Full Version : I've got to try an NV30!

Pages : [1] 2

FastM
10-06-02, 02:23 PM
Edit: To Prevent Futher confusion.

what i actually saw was a GF4TI4600 with a hacked BIOS. Sorry about all this, he had a awesome looking comp with a believable story and i fell for it (boy do i feel foolish).

I just got back from a Wolfenstien Lan Party just south of Providence.

One of the guys there had a NV30 card Rev.A. When the system booted up it said... NV30-A 128meg **Not For Public Use**

He said he got it from a friend who worked for visiontek and he also said he has had it for about 2 months. The Core was clocked at 325Mhz and the Memory was a 710Mhz.

I got to try Unreal Tournament 2k3, this thing averaged 150fps with bots in the outdoor maop. Then i got him to do a 3dmark test, it scored 13,500. Hes was running a P4 overclocked to 2.8Ghz with a Gig of PC2700 Mem. He was using the 40.71 drivers but they didn't fully recongnize the card, In the adapter tab it said NV30-A but then underneath it said it was a TI4600. There was no nVidia tab to do AA tweaking and such. He said using Rivatuner to play with AA and AF would crash his system immidiatly.

So, if nVidia has had working versions of the NV30 for much more than 2 months, considering this is a Revision A i can only wonder what they have now, not to say what clock speed it will be shipped at. Pretty cool stuff..

volt
10-06-02, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by FastM

One of the guys there had a NV30 card Rev.A. When the system booted up it said... NV30-A 128meg **Not For Public Use**

He said he got it from a friend who worked for visiontek and he also said he has had it for about 2 months. The Core was clocked at 325Mhz and the Memory was a 710Mhz.

I got to try Unreal Tournament 2k3, this thing averaged 150fps with bots in the outdoor maop. ..

Bahhh
Did you see the card it self?

thcdru2k
10-06-02, 02:52 PM
wow..two months old, i think this makes sense with the discussions about the nv30 and nvidia redesigning the card.

pelly
10-06-02, 03:03 PM
Did he say how he ever got ahold of one of these???

:confused:

thcdru2k
10-06-02, 03:06 PM

pelly
10-06-02, 03:13 PM
4yrs of college and I can't even read... :p

Whoops.... :D

intercede007
10-06-02, 03:41 PM
Anyone remember that BIOS editor someone released for the GeForce line of cards? It came with a reference BIOS you could edit, then flash onto the card. I wonder if someone is playing tricks with the cards BIOS.

thcdru2k
10-06-02, 03:50 PM
that's what i was thinking when i read that, yeah you can use a bios editor to edit your nvidia card to whatever you want. however its kinda believeble if he said af and aa wasn't working, and that the card wasn't being detected properly. if it was clocked at 325 and 710 that seems very possbile it could be a overclocked ti4600. the 3dmark score isn't all that impressive, but that ut2k3 score sure is. and if some dude at visiontek was leaking out this card, i'm sure visiontek and nvidia would have definately wanted that card accounted for..cause they're aren't any benchies or images of the nv30 anywhere on the internet..i wanna believe this but my gut feeling is its a bios job.

volt
10-06-02, 03:50 PM
FastM said UT2003 ran at ~150 FPS.

intercede007
10-06-02, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a con-job to me. And besides, isn't visiontek basically non-existant? Would NVIDIA send a company a referance board when they aren't even viable? Heck, if thats the case, anyone want to incorporate with me? I figure we could score a couple NV30's :D

volt
10-06-02, 04:07 PM
Visiontek is not dead, nor was it 2 months ago.

INNOVISION
10-06-02, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by FastM

I got to try Unreal Tournament 2k3, this thing averaged 150fps with bots in the outdoor maop. Then i got him to do a 3dmark test, it scored 13,500. Hes was running a P4 overclocked to 2.8Ghz with a Gig of PC2700 Mem. He was using the 40.71 drivers but they didn't fully recongnize the card, In the adapter tab it said NV30-A but then underneath it said it was a TI4600. There was no nVidia tab to do AA tweaking and such. He said using Rivatuner to play with AA and AF would crash his system immidiatly.

So, if nVidia has had working versions of the NV30 for much more than 2 months, considering this is a Revision A i can only wonder what they have now, not to say what clock speed it will be shipped at. Pretty cool stuff..

Do your self a favor......

EDIT: If you have a problem sir, please PM FastM and don't start another hate thread. Whether it's true or not, you don't need to be rude.

intercede007
10-06-02, 04:53 PM
I sincerly hope you weren't refering to me. FastM saw what he saw. A PC that POST'ed a video card that said NV30, and a driver control panel that listed an NV30-A as present and some clock settings. The con-job comment was not in referance to FastM; I have no doubt he saw what he said he did. The con-job comment was in relation to the gentleman with the PC. It would be hard to believe anyone in a company would risk losing their jobs and possibly prosecution to let a buggy piece of hardware circulate its way into the public. BIOS editing the GeForce cards is not hard; there is a utility that is freely available on the net to do it.

thcdru2k
10-06-02, 05:34 PM
seriously, and taking it to a lan, that guy sure is smart.

FastM
10-06-02, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by intercede007
Anyone remember that BIOS editor someone released for the GeForce line of cards? It came with a reference BIOS you could edit, then flash onto the card. I wonder if someone is playing tricks with the cards BIOS.

now that i think about it, i think your right. It did look exactly like a TI4600 and was using the Thermaltake GF4 Cooler. Oh well, he did have a very impressive comp though, not to mention a 19inch KDS LCD Monitor, i aslo happen to have a pic. Now that i think about it i remember he said things like some sets of drivers reported the chip type as a GF3 or other GF4's, tryong to throw me off i guess (guess it worked for a little while). Sorry about all this.

FastM
10-06-02, 06:53 PM
And while im posting pics...

intercede007
10-06-02, 06:53 PM
The UT score is steller, but there is a differance between numbers put up by the Demo's benchmarking tool and the numbers put up by the Retail versions tool. He may have tweaked the heck out of UT and the retail benchmark was through the roof. You're exactly right though, he does have a pretty slick rig. P4 2.8 and a gig of RAM..juicy.

volt
10-06-02, 07:23 PM
ehhhhhhhhh
that's a waste :|

sancheuz
10-06-02, 07:51 PM
I seriously seriously doubt this story, or the matter of your friend owning an nv30. Besides, i would thinkg it would score higher in 3d mark.

thcdru2k
10-06-02, 07:59 PM
the story is true, only thing wrong was the guy owning the nv30, fastm even said it himself. its a bios job.

False Christian
10-06-02, 08:39 PM
The NV30 could possibly be true. I think it will twice as powerful as an ATI RADEON 9700 PRo as it'll have 2 TMU's per pipeline as opposed to the 1 on the 9700.

saturnotaku
10-06-02, 09:47 PM
150 fps in UT2k3, eh? What resolution? Obviously it was without FSAA because you said when he enabled it, all his games would crash. I can hit easily 100 fps in that game at 1024 without FSAA and non overclocked Ti4600 and my CPU is over 1 GHz slower. Me thinks you've been hornswaggled my good man.

Can I interest you in some fine real estate in Florida? :p :cool:

Nutty
10-07-02, 07:41 AM
how sad do you have to be, to try and make ppl think you've got an nv30?

maybe he messed up his bios, and thats why fsaa crashes.. hahaha..

saturnotaku
10-07-02, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Nutty
maybe he messed up his bios, and thats why fsaa crashes.. hahaha..

LOL, poetic justice. It can be a wonderful thing sometimes. :cool:

FastM
10-07-02, 09:04 AM
Why dont a mod delete this thread, its going to get way to much attention for nothing.

What makes me laugh when i think about it now was the lack of the nVidia tab in the Drivers. He must have hacked his drivers or something OR was running with card with No Dets installed to make the story more believable.. Or it really was an NV30 ;)