PDA

View Full Version : Using 2 videocards at once?

Omega53
03-16-04, 03:11 PM
I have a nforce 2 motherboard. I have a 9700 pro in the ago slot, and a geforce 4mx on the motherboard. Is there any way to use both at the same time?

saturnotaku
03-16-04, 03:21 PM
IIRC, the nForce2 core logic automatically disables the onboard video when there's a card present in the AGP slot.

Gator
03-16-04, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
IIRC, the nForce2 core logic automatically disables the onboard video when there's a card present in the AGP slot.

I beleive Sat is correct, in fact most onboard video adapters disable on many motherboards once you install an AGP card. Probably because you can't have 2 AGP devices at once.

Just buy a cheap Radeon PCI so that you can use the same driver package and it will work fine. My friend has 3 displays - 2 monitors work off his AGP card and 1 off his PCI card and it works great.

saturnotaku
03-17-04, 10:42 PM
Just read on FiringSquad - motherboards with ATI's Radeon 9100 IGP will be able to work in tandem with an add-in card for triple display support. Apparently there's some fancy mojo at work in the Cat 4.3s that allow this to happen.

Gator
03-17-04, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Just read on FiringSquad - motherboards with ATI's Radeon 9100 IGP will be able to work in tandem with an add-in card for triple display support. Apparently there's some fancy mojo at work in the Cat 4.3s that allow this to happen.

Yah I heard about this, sounds like an impressive undertaking by ATI. Nonetheless, a cheap Radeon PCI would take care of Neo_Radeon9700's needs :D

ricercar
04-01-04, 05:21 AM
there's some fancy mojo at work in the Cat 4.3s that allow this to happen.
sounds like an impressive undertaking by ATI

Nah, it's not fancy driver mojo, nor is it ATI. It's AGP 8x hardware mojo. The AGP 8x specification includes multi-processors on one AGP 8x bus.

Since the Radeon 9100 is AGP 8x, it can share the AGP bus. Even though the nForce AGP _slot_ is AGP 8x, the (NV17) graphics core is merely AGP 4x, so nForce can't do this mojo.

ChrisRay
04-01-04, 05:29 AM
Buy a Cheap Nvidia PCI card, That way umm you can have both! *wonders how that would work out(

Gator
04-01-04, 06:46 AM
Buy a Cheap Nvidia PCI card, That way umm you can have both! *wonders how that would work out(

eh... no. I've read bad things about combining NV with ATI cards in one system. Apparently the drivers aren't so friendly. Besides it's easier when you keep the cards in the same driver family because it will automaitcally use the same driver package even when you upgrade. All Nvidia cards use the Forceware package, and as long as you stay with a Radeon card they all use the Catalyst package.