PDA

View Full Version : nForce 3 250 Review

|JuiceZ|
03-18-04, 08:20 AM
The nForce 3 250 reviews (http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD03MzI=) are starting to appear. What do you guys think?

Performance seems to be on par w/ the *current* fastest chipset from Via but still w/ the exclusion of the Soundstorm from the APU and the upcoming K8T800 Pro chipset, I still think Via will retain the performance crown for a few more months. It really sucks cause though cause it was the main reason why I bought the NF7-S. :(

Smokey
03-18-04, 09:20 AM
And I thought SiS had the performance crown, under non overclocking conditions? Would be good to see Nvidia up there, even without the SS, as there are people like myself that wouldnt use it anyways ;)

|JuiceZ|
03-18-04, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
And I thought SiS had the performance crown, under non overclocking conditions? Would be good to see Nvidia up there, even without the SS, as there are people like myself that wouldnt use it anyways ;)

Nope you're right, just had Via on the brain cause theirs was considered the "overall" best choice considering perf/features/stability. Didn't SiS first gen chipset have some stability issues though? Will be interesting to see how their follow up performs.

saturnotaku
03-18-04, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
Nope you're right, just had Via on the brain cause theirs was considered the "overall" best choice considering perf/features/stability. Didn't SiS first gen chipset have some stability issues though? Will be interesting to see how their follow up performs.

It wasn't the chipset itself so much as the boards that were employing it. The first revision of the ECS 755-A was full of problems, from not having true DDR400 support to inadequate northbridge cooling. The 755-2A is supposed to address all problems of the first board, but it's not available stateside as yet.

|JuiceZ|
03-18-04, 01:18 PM
And also with the memory controller now onchip its hard to see a distinguishable performance between boards. Like they said, its all about the features now.

Kinda reminds me about the graphics industry, less about fps and more about image quality.

Smokey
03-18-04, 08:05 PM
Im not really upto speed on the A64 stuff :p

I just know that SiS have always been acciated with low end stuff. Now that they do have a fairly good chipset, it would be good to see them on boards made by MSi, Abit and the likes, where the features would be included. Ive had 2 motherboards with my Barton2500+ that both had SiS chipset. My Abit board I have now, has pushed my 2500+ further in terms of overclocking, because the better board makers provide the features that enable you OC well. Before I couldnt increase the ram voltage, which was holding me back, o and nforce does support dual channel which is nice, but doesnt matter anymore with the A64. I hope the nforce range keep going forward, I just wish VIA would drop off, and let SiS take over :)

Dazz
03-19-04, 12:39 PM
Dual channel is useless for the Athlon XP also. You can't get 6.4GB/sec bandwith out of a 3.2GB/sec FSB.

Viral
03-19-04, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Dual channel is useless for the Athlon XP also. You can't get 6.4GB/sec bandwith out of a 3.2GB/sec FSB.

The performance gain may be minimal, but the bandwidth in one direction is 6.4GB/s. This is the downstream direction. ie, data coming from the memory (instructions are obviously 3.2GB/s in this direction).

Dazz
03-20-04, 09:12 AM
The data build up is bad and you will find it will add extra latency thats why reducing the timing in dual channel mode gives better peformance.

sxotty
03-23-04, 08:59 PM
Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2004 )

Well that one surely paints it in a different picture. That overclock would be pretty nice I think. I want to see what kind of performance it has though. It seems though that the nforce250 while losing soundstorm is a truly sad thing has made up for it by being much better than the kt800

Viral
03-24-04, 12:03 AM
Looking good so far.. i would definitely buy one.

Now to wait for the S939 version :p

Dazz
03-24-04, 03:13 PM
I know i want one, decent peformance, native lan & SATA RAID and of course HARDWARE FIREWALL! (means less conflicts :cool: )