PDA

View Full Version : question about workstation cards and games?

lano
03-18-04, 09:18 AM
hey everyone.

i have a quadro fx 1000 video card becasue i am a 3d artist and i work from home at times..

but i also like to play games?

are there any issues with playing games on workstation cards? games like battlefield veitnam.

i mean the quadro fx 1000 is obviously strong enuff to play a game i would think. but i want to know if there are issues?

thx
lano

lano
03-18-04, 10:03 AM
can anyone help me here?

saturnotaku
03-18-04, 10:27 AM
First, don't bump a topic an hour after you post. Bad forum ettiquite. :nono:

Second, workstation cards might give you adequate performance for gaming but that's not guaranteed. OpenGL games should work well on a Quadro but D3D is a big 'if.' Download game demos and try them out. Not too many people here have workstation cards that would be able to answer that question.

lano
03-18-04, 10:35 AM
sorry, for the bump. im just trying to find out whats up.

well i mean im actually surprised that a quadro fx card, would have issues playing games?

hopefully someone can help.

lano
03-18-04, 10:53 AM
i just called nvidia and they said i shouldnt have a problem

saturnotaku
03-18-04, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by lano
well i mean im actually surprised that a quadro fx card, would have issues playing games?

There might be a greater chance of issues because playing games is not what Quadro cards are designed to do. That's why there are separate drivers for Quadro products that are optimized for applications like Maya, 3DS, etc. If those cards could do what a GeForce FX could, there would be no market for them (and the extreme price premiums they command over their desktop counterparts).

BTW, there's nothing wrong with bumping topics but it's proper to wait at least 24 hours if you have not received a reply.

RobHague
03-18-04, 04:49 PM
Well, the Quadro and Geforce series only differ in drivers essentially. A quadrofx can do anything a Geforce can do - the only possibiliy of bumping into issues would be with the drivers of course. They are optimized for Maya, 3D Studio, AutoCad and the like as saturnotaku said..

I believe you might be able to get a DeQuadro patch, so you can install Geforce drivers.... it just patchs the driver files so they ignore/force the Device ID.

Give it a try though as is, i would think at worst the games will just run a littler slower than the equivelent geforce product... i had a Geforce256 i moded to Quadro 256 via SoftQuadro and noticed tha DX performance went down, and OpenGL performance went up slightley in games... i didnt mod it for games of course but i was interested to see the impact on performance. There really was none of conciquence. Bugs are more likley, as they arent exactley going to be bug testing games with these Quadro driver sets....

GlowStick
03-18-04, 06:16 PM
You shouldnt have any problems with games, but if you arent sure about a specific game, download the demo and test it out.

The big diffrence is drivers, and it may run the games slightly slower than compared to an equilent Geforce card, however alot of games are developed on workstation cards and are comptatible.