PDA

View Full Version : Dudes, please help with annoying flickering

ajm786
03-18-04, 10:59 AM
I flashed my BFG 5900U to a BFG 5950Ultra. Along with all the speed increases and the good stuff came the infamouse flickering issue. It's extremely annoying, and is very prevalent when I am scrolling or when a dialog pops up on my screen.

What can I do to alleviate this problem? Should I flash to another manufacturer's 5950 BIOS? Can you give me some links, as I forgot that huge thread with all the BIOSes. I tried different drivers as well as monitor INF files.

Thanks.

OWA
03-18-04, 01:15 PM
Some have speculated that this occurs b/c the flicker fix in the drivers no longer gets activated. That is, the drivers now think you have a 5950 and since it doesn't need the fix, the fix no longer gets activated. So, you're going to get flicker.

ajm786
03-18-04, 01:30 PM
I thought people were having the same problems on 5950s?

OWA
03-18-04, 02:52 PM
Not that I know of but I could be wrong about that.

saturnotaku
03-18-04, 03:13 PM
Here's a thought - flash the card back to its original state and deal with having a normal 5900. :eek:

Those BIOS flashes really do more harm than good. I had a flashed BFG 5900NU and after time, the card started to develop artifacts and other badness that were not present when the card was its normal self. I flashed it back and everything was right with the world. Sometimes getting something for nothing just isn't possible.

ajm786
03-18-04, 03:53 PM
:( That's too hard to accept and something I can't tolerate.

But that's just me. :)

Seriously, I can't let go of the speed. It's just not possible. I'm sure this issue can be fixed, I just need to know where to look. And I'm sure it can be fixed with you guys' help.

By chance, is it possible to edit the voltage part of a BIOS to feed more Vmem and Vcore to the GPU? I mean, with a simple BIOS update from a 5900 to a 5950 it was possible.