PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a new monitor.. need some help..

CaptNKILL
03-18-04, 03:54 PM
Well, Ive been looking for a long time and Im still finding it difficult to find a monitor that I KNOW will be what I want. It seems like anything that isnt extremely expensive is considered low end.

Right now im using a 15" Gateway EV500. Its a great little monitor considering its size and age (got it in 1998), but I really need something better... I mean, look at my specs... an ancient, tiny monitor just doesnt fit the rest of my system.

What im looking for is decent image quality (i dont nitpick over small imperfections... but if there are really bad moire problems or bendy lines, im not interested at all), good specs (at least 1280x960\1280x1024@85Hz.... 1600x1200@75 is good too... but higher is better), a reasonable price (im on a limited budget) and I prefer it in Black. Id love a 19" Flat Screen, but the above points come before this. If i can get a 17" non-flat that fits those for a really good price, i'll go for it.

So far, the monitor that I would consider the best is the Viewsonic P95F+B. NewEgg has it for $284 with FREE shipping. It has awesome specs (1600x1200@87Hz, 19", Perfect Flat screen, black). But the price is a bit steep for me. I have the money to buy it, but I wouldnt have any left :P
The P75F+B is the 17" version and is $204 shipped.. that has similar specs and is my second choice (mostly because of the fairly low price)... but im still looking around some more.

Are there any better monitors or better deals out there? I'll shop at other (reliable) stores too, not just NewEgg.

thanks for the help guys :)

Smokey
03-18-04, 04:22 PM
You may be limited on the black side of things, but a good cheap 19" would be the LG E900B, flatscreen 19" 1280*1024@85Hz, 1600*1200 @75Hz. If you can afford something better, I would suggest Iiyama :)

CaptNKILL
03-19-04, 12:30 PM
Im having some trouble finding that monitor for some reason.... can I get some more suggestions?
Thanks for the input though. :)

CaptNKILL
03-19-04, 03:48 PM
Well im having trouble finding info about this monitor but I found a very nice NEC\MITSUBISHI 19" monitor. Its the AccuSync 900 in Black (AS900-BK). It can do 1600x1200@76hz and 1280x1024@85, so the specs are great. Its not a flat screen, but for the price I cant complain at ALL. At NewEgg its only $185+$18 shipping. $203 for a monitor like that isnt bad all. Im not going to do anything with it yet though because i have yet to read any reviews of it.

Anyone know where I can look? I already checked Epinions and PriceGrabber customer reviews.

Head_slinger
03-19-04, 05:31 PM
LG F900P, very nice i paid £250 for mine i think. Worth every penny.

CaptNKILL
03-19-04, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Head_slinger
LG F900P, very nice i paid £250 for mine i think. Worth every penny.
Ive been trying to find those but I cant. Does LG sell products in the US?

Smokey
03-19-04, 08:12 PM
Quick search and I found this (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/poselectronics/lge919fltucr.html)

Here is another (http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=1014&Product_Id=3966078)

I just type in LG E900B in google ;)

CaptNKILL
03-19-04, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
Quick search and I found this (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/poselectronics/lge919fltucr.html)

Here is another (http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=1014&Product_Id=3966078)

I just type in LG E900B in google ;)

I dont think im going to buy from a store called "POS Electronics" hahahaha ;) :D

I guess this monitor looks pretty good.. but Ive never really heard of LG before this. Ive had some recomendations elsewhere for NEC brand monitors. Has anyone used that NEC AS900? I guess if I cant get any input on that, i'll look into the LG more.

Thanks again for the input.

Head_slinger
03-20-04, 07:14 AM
LG is very well known in UK, although i did have some trouble tracking down a F900P. In the end i got it from www.scan.co.uk and www.dabs.com had one too.

From scan.co.uk19" LG F900P Studioworks Flatron Monitor 0.24dp 111KHz 1600x1200 £209

CaptNKILL
03-20-04, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Head_slinger
LG is very well known in UK, although i did have some trouble tracking down a F900P. In the end i got it from www.scan.co.uk and www.dabs.com had one too.
Looks like a great monitor, but thats a bit out of my price range, and I cant buy things in the UK anyway (im from the US).

How does the LG E900B (the cheaper one) compair the to the NEC AS900?

LiquidX
03-20-04, 09:38 PM
I can vouch for the quality NEC/MITSUBISHI and Dell. I have the 21"(2070-SB) big brother of both of these when going with a 19". There quality especially in games are outstanding Cap, and I dont think you will be disapointed with either of these. Whats also cool about them is the fact they have 3 levels of super brightness and all there fuctions can be adjusted with your mouse from the graphics control panel. I am leaning towards the 991 on price alone but read some users reviews from the egg. Also check out Dell they make some great monitors and there return policy if not satisfied is great.

NEC/MITSUBISHI FE991SB
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-037&depa=0

NEC/MITSUBISHI DP930SB
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-220&depa=0

FastM
03-21-04, 11:48 AM
If your going CRT, Make sure its Aperture Grill.

CaptNKILL
03-24-04, 09:28 PM
well, i bought that NEC FE991SB on saturday from newegg and it got here today! THis monitor is SWEET!!! The brightness, the resolutions, the size.. everthing is perfect. I was a little turned off by the little gray lines on the screen, but i guess on any flat screen (or non flat too?) your going to get those. And ive already gotten used to them.

One thing I just realized today though and it got me thinking... should pixels be square? For example, if I make an image in PSP that is 500x500, should it physically be square when i measure it on the monitor (with a piece of paper)? Because, i was noticing that some things looked a bit stretched horizontally so i began to investigate. I noticed this a long time ago with my old monitor but didnt think much of it. I have my monitor adjusted so everything is "square" and i have rather large black spaces on the sides. I guess im just confused. Are pixels supposed to be square? Or do they also have the 4:3 ratio? Because when i look at images (webcam pics of my girlfriend especially) i notice that things just dont look like they are the right proportions when the display is matched to the visible area of the monitor.

Anyone know more about this than me? :p :D