PDA

View Full Version : Starstorm Drivers

Hooligan
03-19-04, 06:20 PM
Anybody ever heard of these or tried them?

zoomy942
03-19-04, 08:44 PM
i have heard fo them and i have tried them once but i dont thinik i did it right cause things didnt look how they were supposed to. there is a new version coming out on monday that i am gonna try

Richteralan
03-20-04, 04:34 PM
I tried...not specially impressive.

SuLinUX
03-21-04, 10:32 AM
Yes I tried them a while a go and they seemed very good, IQ very sharp and crisp.

StealthHawk
03-21-04, 08:07 PM
Don't these drivers introduce boatloads of texture aliasing?

Does anyone have some comparison screenshots between reference drivers and Starstorm drivers?

SuLinUX
03-22-04, 06:01 AM
Don't these drivers introduce boatloads of texture aliasing?

Does anyone have some comparison screenshots between reference drivers and Starstorm drivers?

They seem to make the mipmaping sharper and it dont show on screen shots, you know what I mean, the crispness of the textures when looking around. Texture aliasing yes but most people confuse that with sharpness and I suppose it's a matter of taste. :D

StealthHawk
03-22-04, 08:34 PM
They seem to make the mipmaping sharper and it dont show on screen shots, you know what I mean, the crispness of the textures when looking around. Texture aliasing yes but most people confuse that with sharpness and I suppose it's a matter of taste. :D

Yuck, that's what I thought. But whatever makes you happy I guess. I prefer using anisotropic filtering which sharpens textures without adding the aliasing, but of course that comes with a performance hit.

It's not that most people confuse texture aliasing with sharpness, but that most people don't understand or know what texture aliasing is. The picture is getting sharper, but aliasing is also being introduced.

theultimo
03-23-04, 08:58 AM
Yuck, that's what I thought. But whatever makes you happy I guess. I prefer using anisotropic filtering which sharpens textures without adding the aliasing, but of course that comes with a performance hit.

It's not that most people confuse texture aliasing with sharpness, but that most people don't understand or know what texture aliasing is. The picture is getting sharper, but aliasing is also being introduced.

Texture Ailasing is bringing Point-Sampling back, yes?

StealthHawk
03-25-04, 07:37 PM
Texture Ailasing is bringing Point-Sampling back, yes?

I don't think so, not AFAIK. Texture aliasing makes textures swim when you move, which looks atrocious.

Quitch
03-31-04, 08:44 AM
Just imagine a long passageway, every time you move forward the side walls in the distance crawl towards you like a wave... that's texture aliasing and mipmapping exists to sort it out, while Antistropic Filtering exists to sort out mip mapping :)