PDA

View Full Version : 8x1 or 4x2 Pipelines in NV35

hoppergrass
03-20-04, 04:12 AM
I'm running the MSI FX5900XT VIVO and wanted to know which GPU Im running. The one with the 8x1 pipelines or the 4x2 pipelines? Or how can I find out?

ChrisRay
03-20-04, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by hoppergrass
I'm running the MSI FX5900XT VIVO and wanted to know which GPU Im running. The one with the 8x1 pipelines or the 4x2 pipelines? Or how can I find out?

All FX 5900's are 4x2 or 8x0 Configurations.

There is no 8x1 FX 5900.

hoppergrass
03-20-04, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
All FX 5900's are 4x2 or 8x0 Configurations.

There is no 8x1 FX 5900.

I know about the two configurations, I was just curious about which one I was running. Plus there has to be an 8x1 config. If there is an 8x0, the card wouldn't work. The 1 represents the Texture Unit. Where its 4x2 or 8x1, they both equal 8 texture units per clock cycle. Check it out at Hexus.net

" As always, when talking about NV35, it's worth talking about its split personality. Depending on the render setup of the application using the card, it's either an 8x1 architecture, or a 4x2. What that means is, the card either renders 8 pixels per clock with a single texture unit per pipeline, over 8 pipes, or 4 pixels per clock with dual texture units, over 4 pipes. So depending on whether it's in 8x1 or 4x2 mode, it can have up to half the pixel processing power as it ideally should have. Theoretical texture fillrate is the same at all times, it's just the raw pixel fillrate that drops. If the render setup pushes the card into 4x2 mode and isn't setup for effecient use of both texture units, the card doesn't paint a picture as quick as it should, simple as that"

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02MDM=

reever2
03-20-04, 12:43 PM
If there is an 8x0, the card wouldn't work.

No it still would, but it would simply be processing only part of the data

ChrisRay
03-20-04, 04:27 PM
I know about the two configurations, I was just curious about which one I was running. Plus there has to be an 8x1 config. If there is an 8x0, the card wouldn't work. The 1 represents the Texture Unit. Where its 4x2 or 8x1, they both equal 8 texture units per clock cycle. Check it out at Hexus.net

" As always, when talking about NV35, it's worth talking about its split personality. Depending on the render setup of the application using the card, it's either an 8x1 architecture, or a 4x2. What that means is, the card either renders 8 pixels per clock with a single texture unit per pipeline, over 8 pipes, or 4 pixels per clock with dual texture units, over 4 pipes. So depending on whether it's in 8x1 or 4x2 mode, it can have up to half the pixel processing power as it ideally should have. Theoretical texture fillrate is the same at all times, it's just the raw pixel fillrate that drops. If the render setup pushes the card into 4x2 mode and isn't setup for effecient use of both texture units, the card doesn't paint a picture as quick as it should, simple as that"

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02MDM=

Not neccasarily. It can act as an 8x0, With stencil operations.

in Any Event you are running the same card everyone else is. The Normal 4x2 config and the 8x0 stencil configs, No cards vary from each other this regarrds.

StealthHawk
03-20-04, 08:31 PM
Hexus is wrong.

NV30/35/38 are 4x2 and can also act as 8x0. When in 8x0 mode, it can't do anything with color data.

photophreak314
03-20-04, 09:08 PM
Which would be pointless.

StealthHawk
03-21-04, 01:21 AM
Which would be pointless.

Doom3 has a stencil only pass.