PDA

View Full Version : Will NV40 also take up that PCI slot?

Pages : [1] 2

Pantherman
03-20-04, 11:30 PM
I'm guessing that the NV40 will also occupy that first PCI slot like the NV30-35. Also, it will apparently require some serious juice to operate properly. My PS is only 300W, so I'll be out of luck. You'll also need a serious CPU to take advantage of the NV40, and I'm out of luck there as well. Looks like an upgrade is in order.

MUYA
03-21-04, 12:42 AM
I'm guessing that the NV40 will also occupy that first PCI slot like the NV30-35. Also, it will apparently require some serious juice to operate properly. My PS is only 300W, so I'll be out of luck. You'll also need a serious CPU to take advantage of the NV40, and I'm out of luck there as well. Looks like an upgrade is in order.
Your CPU should be fine but not the PSU maybe. In some games like Halo, CPU has no effect because it is heavily GPU limited. Read up tuan's review the BFG 5950U at accelenation where he tested that card on a P4 clocked at 2.4ghz, 3ghz and 3,2ghz i think. he found in Halo was not affected as much by CPU speeds and Halo is PS intensive. Therefore in PS intensive games, the nv40 should help out a lot.

link here (http://accelenation.com/?ac.id.218.1)

jAkUp
03-21-04, 12:43 AM
Clocked at 1.2ghz memory, I would assume its gonna be a hot, power hungry card...

Rollo
03-21-04, 09:34 AM
I'm guessing that the NV40 will also occupy that first PCI slot like the NV30-35.
Who cares? The nV40 is a card for someone who prioritizes gaming. Most people don't use all their pci slots, and if you need a NIC, a soundcard, a firewire card, a tv decoder, and whatever else, I'd say you don't prioritize gaming, or make very smart hardware choices. Most good motherboards have NICs, plenty of USB, firewire, and some even have great Audio. (e.g. Soundstorm) Needing PCI slots is from the Pentium 2 days, IMO.

I would assume its gonna be a hot, power hungry card.
People who prioritize gaming have good PSUs because even current gaming cards are "power hungry". People who prioritize gaming have tower cases with some fans usually too.

I'd say if you're worried about having PCI slots, a cool case, and a weak psu more than having the best possible framerate, IQ, and gaming experience you're not really a nV40 customer anyway.

BTW a P4 2.4 with Rambus is fine for any video card.

blueworm
03-21-04, 04:51 PM
Who cares? The nV40 is a card for someone who prioritizes gaming. Most people don't use all their pci slots, and if you need a NIC, a soundcard, a firewire card, a tv decoder, and whatever else, I'd say you don't prioritize gaming, or make very smart hardware choices. Most good motherboards have NICs, plenty of USB, firewire, and some even have great Audio. (e.g. Soundstorm) Needing PCI slots is from the Pentium 2 days, IMO.

People who prioritize gaming have good PSUs because even current gaming cards are "power hungry". People who prioritize gaming have tower cases with some fans usually too.

I'd say if you're worried about having PCI slots, a cool case, and a weak psu more than having the best possible framerate, IQ, and gaming experience you're not really a nV40 customer anyway.

BTW a P4 2.4 with Rambus is fine for any video card.
Damm truth hurts...

GlowStick
03-21-04, 05:32 PM
On the Size issue of the NV40, there is one thing that will most likely be ture.

Even if the refrence NV40 takes up two slots, some manufactures will probly make a 'thinner' version.

On the power issue, you possibly have a problem, modern systmes draw more power these days.

Also on the CPU issue, i dont feel you have one. My two systems below (Intel 2.53ghz with faster ram) and my (amd 2000+ with REGISTRED ram) have the same video card (9800 Pro) and they bench almost exactly the same!

So i feel that your system might need a New Powersupply if you want to run a nv40, and you may lose a PCI slot.

Pantherman
03-21-04, 05:38 PM
It won't be too big a deal getting a new PS for this system. Also, my CPU may be lame now, but I guess it will be O.K. for the NV40. I may only get 60%-70% of the potential of the card, but that'll be O.K. until I get a new system in 6-8 months. As for the PCI slot, many feel that was one of the main drawbacks of the NV30-35. There are those who like to use all their PCI slots. I usually leave the first one open to give the video card more "breathing space" anyway. :jammin:

GlowStick
03-21-04, 05:53 PM
It won't be too big a deal getting a new PS for this system. Also, my CPU may be lame now, but I guess it will be O.K. for the NV40. I may only get 60%-70% of the potential of the card, but that'll be O.K. until I get a new system in 6-8 months. As for the PCI slot, many feel that was one of the main drawbacks of the NV30-35. There are those who like to use all their PCI slots. I usually leave the first one open to give the video card more "breathing space" anyway. :jammin:
Yeah, anyways my amd machine witch cost fraction of my intel machine gets about 200 3dmark03's less than my intel machine witch was expensive, your cpu should be good enough, but if you do buy a nv40, then you can allways build up your computer later : D

Rollo
03-21-04, 05:59 PM
As for the PCI slot, many feel that was one of the main drawbacks of the NV30-35. There are those who like to use all their PCI slots.

Do they have Pentium 2 400s with no onboard anything? :smoking2:

{Sniping}Waste
03-21-04, 06:00 PM
Here is a problem. The new PCI Express mobos have 1, 16X slot and only 2, 1X slots and the rest is normal PCI slots. If the card takes two slots then that leave only 1 PCI Express 1X slot. :wtf: :cry: :angry: :barf:

Rollo
03-21-04, 06:33 PM
Here is a problem. The new PCI Express mobos have 1, 16X slot and only 2, 1X slots and the rest is normal PCI slots. If the card takes two slots then that leave only 1 PCI Express 1X s

LOL, that's a problem to you, not me. Let's see, I have a choice between the best graphics card for gaming and having 2 PCI Express 1X slots instead of 2.

Ohhhhhhh....errrrrrrrrrrrrr.......ahhhhhhhh....... WHAT do I care more about?!?!? Having the fastest video card, or .....actually I guess I don't even know off hand of anything else that is PCI Express now.
Enlighten me.
What will I be missing out on if I don't have both PCI Express slots? If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm a dumba$$.

If you tell me "Well, I need a fast interface for my digital camera and a tv decoder card" I'll say "See above, you're not a serious gamer and you shouldn't buy this card".

{Sniping}Waste
03-21-04, 06:47 PM
Hey Rollo, how about a PCI Express Sound card or do you like onboard AC97. A nice SATA raid 5 card will realy help in games too. A PCI Express wireless network card is another thing games like too but looks like you don't. :eek2:

lmetza
03-21-04, 06:48 PM
that first pci slot shares the same irq as the agp slot i believe, or so ive been told by a few technicians. So if it does why worry if you got 4 other slots to put things in.

{Sniping}Waste
03-21-04, 07:34 PM
that first pci slot shares the same irq as the agp slot i believe, or so ive been told by a few technicians. So if it does why worry if you got 4 other slots to put things in.

Im talking about PCI Express not AGP. Most of the mobos I have seen has about 3 PCI and 2 PCI Express 1X. The 2 PCI Express slots are the 2 under the PCI Express 16X slot so if the cooler for the card takes up a 2 slots then you will only have one usable PCI Express 1X slot.

Rollo
03-21-04, 08:39 PM
Hey Rollo, how about a PCI Express Sound card or do you like onboard AC97. A nice SATA raid 5 card will realy help in games too. A PCI Express wireless network card is another thing games like too but looks like you don't.

Well, let's see, my Audugy 2 has about 2% hit on performance, so I guess if it came down to a faster video card or faster sound card, I'd take video. :super:

SATA Raid is good for gaming? How? I have SATA RAID 1 on my K8TNeo right now. Can you point me at some gaming benchmarks that show the advantage of RAID 5 over RAID 1 in gaming? Or is this really a database access issue that doesn't have much to do with gaming at all? :canadian:

A PCI Express wireless network card is another thing games like too but looks like you don't.
Well, again on the K8T NEO I have Gigabit LAN.
This might be the one thing I'd buy as "necessary" for a gaming system. The other two I'd trade in a heartbeat for 15 fps at 12X10 4X8X.

I guess I'd like to see the real world performance difference between the GB LAN, a wireless NIC plugged into USB 2, and the PCI Express wireless NIC. Do you have any links?

blueworm
03-21-04, 10:43 PM
SATA to start with is in no way faster than PATA.
If you use a raid0 array all you will gain is that your maps will load faster.
But tha game as such will not be at all faster.

Rollo
03-21-04, 11:01 PM
But tha game as such will not be at all faster.

So we're back to "real gamers don't care about losing a PCI slot, gadget junkies who do should probably get an AIW anyway" :nutkick:

Ruined
03-22-04, 12:13 AM
Hey Rollo, how about a PCI Express Sound card or do you like onboard AC97.

Why on earth wouldn't a high quality standard PCI card like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz do? What feasible benefit to a gamer would PCI express offer for a sound card?

A nice SATA raid 5 card will realy help in games too.

Better to have SATA RAID natively integrated into the mainboard and BIOS, i.e. like on Intel 865 chipset motherboards IMO. Usually more reliable than add-on PCI cards.

A PCI Express wireless network card is another thing games like too but looks like you don't. :eek2:

When I build wireless rigs I always use external wireless ethernet bridges plugged into the mainboards ethernet port (be it 10/100 or gigabit) instead of network cards. They cost a bit more, but no drivers, less installation hassle, capable of better positioning, usually better reception, and more portable/flexible. But if you wanted a wireless PCI card any number of the standard wireless PCI cards will work fine - again no need for PCI express.

In all reality, I think the only thing PCI express will benefit is high resolution video capture/editing, and maybe 3d gaming sometime far off in the future. Hence there is really no issue if one of the three PCI express slots is blocked by a cooler, as you could just use the standard PCI slots for your addon cards.

jAkUp
03-22-04, 01:02 AM
hmmm.. will it?

GlowStick
03-22-04, 01:05 AM
hmmm.. will it?
Whoa, that looks very diffrent? So im assumeing thats the nv40? link? more info?

Also, i have to say i now feel that paperlaunch is probly not ging to happen, but more like launch and 2 week avaliblity!

Also the silkscreen could indicate on the size /shape of the cooler

nrdstrm
03-22-04, 01:21 AM
Actually, it will really depend on the size of the PCI-X slots wont it? Have you guys seen the new mobo's? The "AGP" PCI-X slot is much larger than the rest.
Nrdstrm

Dazz
03-22-04, 01:26 AM
But tha game as such will not be at all faster.Yeap bang on, Although SATA drives isn't really they are just modified PATA ones native SATA drives have yet to show up but are expected to have peformance enhancing features such as being able to write/read at the same time.

GlowStick
03-22-04, 02:48 PM
Just a quick update on the topic, some rumor sites are buzzing that nv40 is one slot desgin.

Evildeus
03-22-04, 03:03 PM
Whoa, that looks very diffrent? So im assumeing thats the nv40? link? more info?

Also, i have to say i now feel that paperlaunch is probly not ging to happen, but more like launch and 2 week avaliblity!

Also the silkscreen could indicate on the size /shape of the cooler
Well the corean page is down (was it the truth?) you can see it over there
http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/13588.htm

saturnotaku
03-22-04, 03:23 PM
Wireless ethernet completely and utterly sucks for gaming. I have it and I hate it. I have to talk to my roommate about us switching from our current ISP over to Comcast so I can get my own dedicated, wired router.