PDA

View Full Version : Need some help deciding on new CPU

G3x5
03-21-04, 02:45 AM
You guys helped me out not too long ago with a video card problem. well buying a new rig fixed that problem :bounce: . Now, this guy offered me 1400 for my pc. so i jumped on it. now i wanna know whats good out there. i was thinking of getting an XP3200+, what do you guys recommend?

MUYA
03-21-04, 02:53 AM
You guys helped me out not too long ago with a video card problem. well buying a new rig fixed that problem :bounce: . Now, this guy offered me 1400 for my pc. so i jumped on it. now i wanna know whats good out there. i was thinking of getting an XP3200+, what do you guys recommend?
Why not think of a athlon64? athlon64 3000+ is quite cheap? 3200+ maybe too.

G3x5
03-21-04, 02:56 AM
Yea i thought of that. but would a AMD64 make any difference right now? there isnt anything i have or that i know of thats 64bit compatible right now. and if i was to get it, would i be asured everything i have right now will still work with that cpu?

MUYA
03-21-04, 03:44 AM
Yea i thought of that. but would a AMD64 make any difference right now? there isnt anything i have or that i know of thats 64bit compatible right now. and if i was to get it, would i be asured everything i have right now will still work with that cpu?
The on-die memory controller by itself makes a huge difference.

http://www.amazoninternational.com/html/benchmarks/graphicCards/x2t/X2T_Review.asp

have a look towards the bottom for 64 bit vs 32 bit OS performance differences.

I know its professional 3d cards and such but should give an indication as to the performance benefits that 64 bit brings

monkeydust
03-21-04, 04:15 AM
The important thing to note is the AMD64's are, by most accounts, the fastest chips on the market right now for 32 bit applications. Consider the 64 bit instruction set just a bonus until later in the year when 64 bit OS's and applications become more prevalent.

B&R
03-21-04, 04:18 AM
yeah i would suggest athlon64 3000+ too.

FastM
03-21-04, 12:04 PM

Like others have said, your not buying a A64 for its 64bit extensions, but for its o/b memory controller and other features. All around its a kick ass gaming processor that regular fps review graphs wont show. I was not sure how to explain the difference myself when i upgraded from a 2300Mhz AXP to a A64 3200+, but this graph made alot of sense when i saw it.

http://jooh.no/web/A64FX_dualMemCtrl_latency.png
http://jooh.no/web/A64FX_memory_band.png

Sazar
03-21-04, 12:12 PM
Like others have said, your not buying a A64 for its 64bit extensions, but for its o/b memory controller and other features. All around its a kick ass gaming processor that regular fps review graphs wont show.

yep.. I have to concur.. its blazing fast and cool n quiet will reduce your power bills as well as prolong the life of components... :)