PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded compaq

aaahhh52
03-22-04, 08:20 PM
ok so my friend just ordered a new compaq 8000z i believe with very similar specs as mine (cept mine is not a compaq), amd3400+ 64 bit 5900 ultra, blah blah, his question is what kind of motherboard will it come with, just some random generic oem board? or some type of name brand board. He doesn't have is internet connection set up right now but he will soon, and then he should be hopping on these boards with the name boomer13, so look out for him lol, but i was hoping i could get an answer for him soon, any help would be great

*Edit* he also wants to switch out all of the parts from the compaq except the powersupply into this case http://www.xoxide.com/xviper.html would that be possible?

saturnotaku
03-22-04, 08:28 PM
It's not going to be name brand most likely. Check the system device manager under the system devices to figure out what chipset the board uses. Once you figure that out, snag the latest drivers from either VIA or NVIDIA.

aaahhh52
03-22-04, 08:34 PM
ok thnx i'll tell him, he actually hasn't gotten his system yet but it should be here in a few days, also what about that transfer from the compaq case to the case in the link

stncttr908
03-22-04, 08:56 PM
Poor guy. I know that a lot of these OEM companies actually use good brand name stuff in their gaming systems, mainly because they can flash the name "Asus" or what have you in their advertisements. If that's the case, then you should be able to transfer all of the components into the new case without hassle. However, in doing so you'll be voiding the warranties on everything all at once. But hey, it's his money I suppose.

aaahhh52
03-22-04, 09:33 PM
thnx alot guys i'll tell him :)

Dazz
03-23-04, 01:23 AM
Yeah he will have a branded board but minus all overclocking options.