{Sniping}Waste
03-24-04, 07:56 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/xna/

Looks great to me.
more info here
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11041

GlowStick
03-24-04, 08:48 PM
Is this the make a game for xbox and windows thingey?

EMunEeE
03-24-04, 09:43 PM
According to everybody (and Hellbinder), this was run on the R420...in realtime.... :clap:

OWA
03-24-04, 10:35 PM
If we could only get someone to add the damage modeling present in the crash demo to NFSU I'd be a very happy gamer. :)

Skynet
03-25-04, 01:21 AM
I'd be happy with a game that looks like that even if all I could do was crash a car into a wall at 200+ mph over and over. :thumbsup:

Evildeus
03-25-04, 02:23 AM
Not that impressive. Remind me of the car in R3** demos and the noir film is just about lips :). The crash is impressive, but the calculations are made by the CPU i think so :(

Nv40
03-25-04, 03:38 AM
TimeMAchine NVdemo (the old truck) looks to me more impressive ,(the quality of the rendering).. IMHO. but those demos looks good too.

MUYA
03-25-04, 04:24 AM
Lets discuss XNA and its potential and not a :fanboy: war again....cheers.

Evildeus
03-25-04, 05:24 AM
It's not an Ati-Nv war, saying that i didn't find it impressive :/ It's just that i feel like "déj* vu"

MUYA
03-25-04, 06:09 AM
some people might intepret your comments as a flamebait;)

Please XNA...wowee no more borked Xbox console ports? :p

u know thats sorta discussion?

erm is XNA is a hybrid form of modified DX for xbox2?? ..or sumat?

Razor04
03-25-04, 06:51 AM
I agree with Muya that this thread was definately headed in that direction. I found the videos Crash and Film Noir to not be very impressive model wise. However I thought the Xenomorph video was pretty kickass...especially the creatures that had fur. The fur was some of the best I have seen for real time rendering and completely blows away the ATI monkey imho.

With regards to XNA I think it is a great idea. As a lot of people have said anything that allows a game developer to spend less time on the nuts and bolts and more time on cool new effects or features is a good thing. Should be interesting how this will pan out over the next few years. And people say that PC gaming is dying... :)

EDIT: Back to the videos for a second. I don't believe Crash and Noir were really even trying to show off graphics and neither was Xenomorph (although I though Xeno was the best :)). They were just trying to show off some of the capabilities of XNA. In Crash that was the deformation engine that created damage on the car...not entirely sure what was going on in Film Noir...maybe the smoke effect engine? And in Xenomorph it was a morphing engine that could create extremely smooth morphs in real time. The cool thing is that all of these can be transferred between games easily now...which means us as end users get better games in less time.

GlowStick
03-25-04, 09:19 AM
Here are the questions that i want to ask!

Is XNA more of a 'engine' than a language? Or exactly what is it?
It sounds like to me that its just like you make a mod for Quake and put in your on graphics textures etc gameplay, and you can add your own coding to tweak it alot.

Also like quake, will the addon to the engine you make run on both Xbox and PC with little porting?

OR

Is it like a new DirectX for Xbox?

Also can we confrim that its ment for Xbox2 only games, witch would be werid because it seems to be 'far' off.

Or dose it mean Xbox2 is close!!

MUYA
03-25-04, 09:27 AM
I agree with Muya that this thread was definately headed in that direction. I found the videos Crash and Film Noir to not be very impressive model wise. However I thought the Xenomorph video was pretty kickass...especially the creatures that had fur. The fur was some of the best I have seen for real time rendering and completely blows away the ATI monkey imho.

With regards to XNA I think it is a great idea. As a lot of people have said anything that allows a game developer to spend less time on the nuts and bolts and more time on cool new effects or features is a good thing. Should be interesting how this will pan out over the next few years. And people say that PC gaming is dying... :)

EDIT: Back to the videos for a second. I don't believe Crash and Noir were really even trying to show off graphics and neither was Xenomorph (although I though Xeno was the best :)). They were just trying to show off some of the capabilities of XNA. In Crash that was the deformation engine that created damage on the car...not entirely sure what was going on in Film Noir...maybe the smoke effect engine? And in Xenomorph it was a morphing engine that could create extremely smooth morphs in real time. The cool thing is that all of these can be transferred between games easily now...which means us as end users get better games in less time.

I just saw the car crash...and ooh wee i loved it :D shiny cars and deformable chasis etc...was that bump mapping I saw on the road and maybe the car itself?

Like Glowstick, i am confused..is this a SDK or new language for xbox2 games that will optimized for iXbox2 but port better to PC?

If its SDK, wil it compete with NV's SM 3.0 SDK that was released today? Although I think thats more for NVIDIA's quadro line etc ie devs and 3d animators using the quadro line?

theultimo
03-25-04, 02:01 PM
I just saw the car crash...and ooh wee i loved it :D shiny cars and deformable chasis etc...was that bump mapping I saw on the road and maybe the car itself?

Like Glowstick, i am confused..is this a SDK or new language for xbox2 games that will optimized for iXbox2 but port better to PC?

If its SDK, wil it compete with NV's SM 3.0 SDK that was released today? Although I think thats more for NVIDIA's quadro line etc ie devs and 3d animators using the quadro line?
Its a SDK- bundled with Directx SDK, HLSL, Direct3d, etc; basically everything you need to develop a 3-d enhanced program.

GlowStick
03-25-04, 03:12 PM
Its a SDK- bundled with Directx SDK, HLSL, Direct3d, etc; basically everything you need to develop a 3-d enhanced program.
So what parts are included? I wonder if they have a barebones engine type setup like rendering, collision detection, and deformation...particle engine. etc

theultimo
03-25-04, 03:29 PM
So what parts are included? I wonder if they have a barebones engine type setup like rendering, collision detection, and deformation...particle engine. etc
Quote from Microsoft Watch:

Microsoft launched XNA, its overarching game developer platform, at the Game Developers Conference on Wednesday. It's quite a mish-mash: DirectX, a new graphics programming language, Visual Studio, the PIX graphics-analysis tool, the XACT audio tool and XBox Live development tools (that sure sound a lot like "Tsunami" to us).