PDA

View Full Version : still play Q3 online?

yakumo
03-25-04, 11:45 AM
poll : q3 FORCE range for abusable cvar ranges BY PB DEFAULT? (http://www.punksbusted.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5884)

most server admin's don't play the games they host, or don't care, so settings PB doesn't check by default are left exploitable.

I'm working really hard to try to improve Q3 for EVERYONE, but the main problem is APATHY, everyone is SO happy to bitch and winge '333 cheat, config abuser' FOR HOURS, etc, but they can't be assed to take 2 minutes sign up on a forum for free, that generates no spam mail, and vote and post to support sometihng that could help fix all this! punksbusted.com forums are read and replied to by actual EvenBalance staff, the makers of PB.

I would like to bring this poll to your attention, as i think most of you don't browse the PunkbusterForum often, and just stay here.

please vote for a sensible PB enforced default standard on network and fps ranges for online Q3 gaming.

it will prevent rate of fire abuse (333 fps) , movement/w4rp abuse, and other network exploits (q30wnor like ineye spec bug)

this isn't quite as high profile as it should be simply because most serious players play OSP or CPMA exclusively so it was a dead [fixed] issue some time ago [for them], THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE REST OF US, PLAYERS OF OTHER MODS SHOULD BE LEFT IN THE LURCH . and even OSP would benefit from PB not polling the cvar's the way it currently does, if there was a way to just invisibly force cleints to within x ranges, as it would lighten the server load.

Even if the method for capping cvar's can not be changed to a something more efficient, setting a standard default PB set that is used on a server once PB is installed with sensible ranges would be HIGHLY beneficial, and counter 'stupid non gamesplaying admin' syndrome.In the same way as if Q3 defaulted to sv_cheats 1 PB would have been distributed enforcing sv_cheats 0 for all online servers.

PB has the ability to safeguard Q3 players from exploiters/cheats and admin's who know practically nothing about the game they are hosting, "with great power comes great responsibility", PunkBuster has that power, most admin's think no more of pb than the be all and end all anti cheat device they leave to update itself, 'so anything pb doesn't check, can't be cheating/ or an exploit'. PB has a duty to protect the players from this apathy.

so please vote, don't let people who only play OTHER GAMES dictate whats best for ours, don't let apathy rule, please sign up and vote! (and leave suportive comments in the poll's thread!)

poll : q3 FORCE range for abusable cvar ranges BY PB DEFAULT? (http://www.punksbusted.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5884)

yakumo'unr
Yakumo's q3 guide for all levels of player (mk II) (http://www.trickery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=983&sid=c6395719ac5b7631c38b1c284d37be21)

Kev1
03-26-04, 11:44 AM
Thanks for link. I still play Q3. Well, I play the Q3 mod WFA: Weapons Factory Arena. It is still my favorite online game to play, mainly cause I know lots of other players and teamwork is big part of the game. Plus its very fast!!

About to try UT2004, but really looking forward to Doom3 and Q4 :thumbsup:

Riptide
03-26-04, 12:01 PM
I don't play it any longer. As a matter of fact, I have a copy on my desk here @ work (a legit copy ofcourse) w/key. I'm going to give it away for free today to anyone here at work that wants it. Between Halo and UT2004 I just haven't had any urge at all to play with this game which is now starting to really look long in the tooth. Just one man's opinion...

nVidi0t
03-27-04, 01:31 PM
Quake 3 is still the king.

UT2004 rocks though.